Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No way.
Asking on the 24th Jan whether winter is done is a ridonculous question.
Look here
I don't really think that's relevant nor correct for distinct areas. And our recent weather in winter has been on the whole, very very mild. The question is worth asking, as sometimes winter would indeed be done if by winter we mean cold and icy weather and not just metrological or astronomical winter.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't really think that's relevant nor correct for distinct areas. And our recent weather in winter has been on the whole, very very mild. The question is worth asking, as sometimes winter would indeed be done if by winter we mean cold and icy weather and not just metrological or astronomical winter.

Winters are getting far shorter at both ends and rapidly, you’d know that as a gardener. In some recent winters we’ve barely had an air frost. It is a legitimate question. Some winters seemed to have tailed off with mild weather in February.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Winters are getting far shorter at both ends and rapidly, you’d know that as a gardener. In some recent winters we’ve barely had an air frost. It is a legitimate question. Some winters seemed to have tailed off with mild weather in February.
Indeed. Sadly, for cold lovers, possibly another indication of global warming. Personally, I am always glad to feel the back of winter, when the first warning rays of the sun are felt on my back, that's a great feeling!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. Sadly, for cold lovers, possibly another indication of global warming. Personally, I am always glad to feel the back of winter, when the first warning rays of the sun are felt on my back, that's a great feeling!

Always a mixed one for me, as a lifelong lover of snow and clear frosty nights. Then I have spring to look forward to, especially the garden taking shape. Always something to look forward to.

This is the first winter where I’ve felt the cold. Not in the cold spell, but the mild, damp, blowing a gale cr@p. Cold to the core, possibly carrying a bit of a bug for weeks? I can see why people winter in Spain.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Always a mixed one for me, as a lifelong lover of snow and clear frosty nights. Then I have spring to look forward to, especially the garden taking shape. Always something to look forward to.

This is the first winter where I’ve felt the cold. Not in the cold spell, but the mild, damp, blowing a gale cr@p. Cold to the core, possibly carrying a bit of a bug for weeks? I can see why people winter in Spain.
I sympathy with that. I used to sail through winters but now I'm almost 57 I find that I'm struggling. Perhaps I have SAD, bit I certainly am feeling the cold even if the temperature is mild by yesteryears standards.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I sympathy with that. I used to sail through winters but now I'm almost 57 I find that I'm struggling. Perhaps I have SAD, bit I certainly am feeling the cold even if the temperature is mild by yesteryears standards.

Albion games Nov to Mar are incredibly uncomfortable for me, despite multiple layers and a new heated gilet, on Monday I bought 3 teas in the first half and was literally shaking. But I can ski in The Alps at -10c and I’m fine. I’m sure it’s the maritime cold and humidity here.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Albion games Nov to Mar are incredibly uncomfortable for me, despite multiple layers and a new heated gilet, on Monday I bought 3 teas in the first half and was literally shaking. But I can ski in The Alps at -10c and I’m fine. I’m sure it’s the maritime cold and humidity here.
Very true, I go to Northern Finland in -20⁰c and lower (-38⁰c is the coldest) and feel quite comfortable but a damp windy night at the Amex has me freezing my bollocks off, even wearing some of my cold weather gear I use in the Arctic.Some Finnish and Latvian friends of mine always complain about being cold over here in the U.K.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't say I have that level of problem but the discomfort is real and it didn't used to be that way. 🥺

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Winter is over. Back to double digit maximums for weeks, we had some cold weather in January and 2cm of snow, so it was some sort of a winter

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Winter is over. Back to double digit maximums for weeks, we had some cold weather in January and 2cm of snow, so it was some sort of a winter

There's enough of winter left for the pattern to change and still deliver some more cold. Next two weeks looks like it'll be very much on the mild side, but beyond that isn't set yet.

Edit to add: both the Netweather and Met Office long range text forecasts are suggesting first half of Feb will be warmer than average, however mid-month there is a chance that the pattern will change and see cold northerly winds become dominant in the second half of the month.

I'm mildly optimistic of one more opportunity for proper winter weather before the season is done.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quite some differential in DC over the last week

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
GFS showing sustained cold for us day and night from Monday 12 Feb.

With precipitation lurking in southern England.
Met office forecast for me not showing that ..although next Saturday there is an overnight low of 2c
EDIT …wrong week 🤦‍♂️

Guaranteed to snow as I’m due my Winter break starting then
1829BEA3-094B-4ED0-8FB1-F4BB67920A2C.png

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
GFS showing sustained cold for us day and night from Monday 12 Feb.

With precipitation lurking in southern England.

Models have been sniffing around for something colder for a few days. Netweather folks have been eyeing it all with caution, as it's only been teasing possibilities. Last I checked on Sat night it was looking likely it would miss us down here in the south east and most of the snow interest would be north of the M4.

Having just checked again, it looks like GFS is not delivering any consistency currently. It's a problem it's had since last year (flip-flopping between potential solutions). On a skim read it does sound like there's growing confidence that colder weather is inbound from next week (potentially even end of this week for more midlands / north England). But exactly how cold, how long for, and how the cold is delivered (and whether it brings snow or not) is very much up in the air.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Models have been sniffing around for something colder for a few days. Netweather folks have been eyeing it all with caution, as it's only been teasing possibilities. Last I checked on Sat night it was looking likely it would miss us down here in the south east and most of the snow interest would be north of the M4.

Having just checked again, it looks like GFS is not delivering any consistency currently. It's a problem it's had since last year (flip-flopping between potential solutions). On a skim read it does sound like there's growing confidence that colder weather is inbound from next week (potentially even end of this week for more midlands / north England). But exactly how cold, how long for, and how the cold is delivered (and whether it brings snow or not) is very much up in the air.
Very true

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here