Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Started perusing Alpine webcams, the first snow now appearing up top. Perhaps three weeks later than I’ve seen in recent other autumns.
Mt. Washington, New Hampshire had first snow on the 10th. Historically happened in September.
Average snowfall for October is 19 inches -- so far 1.7 inches.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mt. Washington, New Hampshire had first snow on the 10th. Historically happened in September.
Average snowfall for October is 19 inches -- so far 1.7 inches.

My parents went up there in the fall 2001 on the cog railway, I still have the calendar present.

Fastest gusts on earth?

It’s weather station churns out astonishing wind chill numbers.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
My parents went up there in the fall 2001 on the cog railway, I still have the calendar present.

Fastest gusts on earth?

It’s weather station churns out astonishing wind chill numbers.

It's about 50 miles away as the crow flies. Could catch glimpses of it while doing parking-lot duty at the school where I used to work.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Never mind snow, it has been pissing down all day in RH20, steadily getting heavier.

Apparently we are due thunderstorms tomorrow...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Any early indicators of a cold winter from our weather people? Haven’t seen the normal daily express headline yet!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Just finished $11K USD replacing my 40-yr old heating system -- new boiler, new hybrid electric heat pump domestic hot water, relined chimney...

So, around here, I expect a lame, and tame, winter... Murphy's Law, Umbrella Corollary: "If you buy an umbrella, it won't rain."

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Just finished $11K USD replacing my 40-yr old heating system -- new boiler, new hybrid electric heat pump domestic hot water, relined chimney...

So, around here, I expect a lame, and tame, winter... Murphy's Law, Umbrella Corollary: "If you buy an umbrella, it won't rain."
That sounds very reasonable considering the cost of heat pumps.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
That sounds very reasonable considering the cost of heat pumps.
Only the hot water heater is a hybrid heat-pump.
For home heating (hot-water baseboard) -- heat pumps were just too expensive, even with generous rebates from the government. Climate plays a role, too.
We wanted hybrid for home heat -- can't do heat-pump alone in this climate with the fabric of the house (built 1936), so settled for the highest-efficiency oil-fired boiler we could get

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Too warm for snow though.

Apologies, but boilers and rain had taken over the thread. On a snow positive, last 2 days the Alps have seen the first white stuff.

IMG_0898.png

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
51mm of rain here in the 24 hours to 9am. The entire month’s average is 93mm.
Just checked. Here in Durrington we've had almost 207mm this month, with no sign of a let up any time soon.

Precipitation206.98 mm

FYI. The average monthly rainfall for October here is 75mm. We've had 32mm this morning alone!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just checked. Here in Durrington we've had almost 207mm this month, with no sign of a let up any time soon.

Precipitation206.98 mm

FYI. The average monthly rainfall for October here is 75mm. We've had 32mm this morning alone!

You’d be aware that Eastbourne has a very longstanding approved weather station, here are its averages, you can muck around between periods …. and see hard facts on global warming. I realise the rain numbers might be slightly lower due to the Beachy rain shadow.

In our Withdean garden we’ve had 172mm so far this month.

IMG_0903.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here