Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As we move into February another month goes by snow free.

Some people had snow the week before last, so has snow today, but the totals have been poor and it's been very localised. I have a feeling February could deliver for us.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anyone in the Burgess Hill / Hassocks area - according to the radar a shower just passed by that area. Wondered what fell from it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Every so often today we could watch the apocalypse approaching over the Mersey. It hurled down for about 15 minutes (hail, snow, sleet), then blew away and everything melted. Snow on the higher reaches though around Manchester, and some around St Helens.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
As that large cloud you mention hits the midlands area is it turning to snow.seems to look like what passes that area is snow(ish).do we have the same potential as the midlands for any passing showers to pass as snow

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Some people had snow the week before last, so has snow today, but the totals have been poor and it's been very localised. I have a feeling February could deliver for us.

Looking incredibly cold next week, yet not much in the way of precipitation around, if anything was to fall, due to the temperatures - would it likely fall as snow ? Barely looks like it would make it above 5 during the day, with a much lower wind chill.

larus

It's a very beautiful (IMO) animation of the last 24 hours of satellite imagery for NW Europe.

If you run it forward to about 7am this morning you'll see a blob of cloud form to the SE of Iceland, which as you run it forward starts to develop a rotation. As it passes NW Scotland it develops quite nicely. It's just passing Northern Ireland at the moment... The key is how far East it gets. It my come close to our area in the early hours.

Edit to add:

You can see its influence in terms of snow / sleet here:

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/Zo...45454543&z=7&x=361&y=475&type=rain-snow-sleet

You can see the influence of the jet-stream tracking south of us pulling in the colder air. I'm in Derbyshire this week (drive back tomorrow), so be interesting to see how this may affect this area.

Looks like this could be turning into an extended cold spell, as the models seem to be continually extending the spell, and even hinting at an easterly blast next week.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You can see the influence of the jet-stream tracking south of us pulling in the colder air. I'm in Derbyshire this week (drive back tomorrow), so be interesting to see how this may affect this area.

Looks like this could be turning into an extended cold spell, as the models seem to be continually extending the spell, and even hinting at an easterly blast next week.

Yep. Although I've avoided specifics I've mentioned a couple of times that I feel February could be a cold / snowy month down here. We do need to the jet to stay in it's southern position to allow a Scandi block to 'inflate' and possibly link to a Arctic High. Then the low pressures can undercut it, both supporting it and encouraging a strong Easterly feed.

Still a long way to go yet though.

Tomorrow's upper temps are a little higher, so after the early hours, any showers here and further north will be rain or sleet for most.

It gets colder again Saturday and Sunday, setting up the potential for early next week and possibly beyond,

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
there's your answer.

there was about 5 mins of tiny snow flakes thats all, but if this thing in that link goes east at the right time will we see proper flumpage??? :moo:

That was ages before - there was a small shower later on that went through.

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
I'm getting married on the 6th,she can have white wedding after all,lol
Big cloud appearing in the Falmer road/Rottingdean area

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
At just before 5pm outside Gatwick it was EPIC! Huge amount of hail for a few minutes then heavy snow for a further 10 min which left a cm covering over everything! First snow seen since Apr 13 so very happy!

We (as in Sussex) could get lucky later on tonight with this polar low however I have feeling it will head a bit to our west so we miss out on any snow. Next chance for snow seems to be from showers over the weekend and something potentially on Mon night, but too far out to discuss fully.

Models still playing around with the pattern going forward but hopefully if the Polar Vortex can stay far enough to the NW, then there is a chance that we could a proper easterly (as long as the trough stays in Europe)

As Papa says, all to play for next month (potentially March as well)

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Seems like snow heading south tonight, but when it gets to the south coast it turns to rain/sleet looking at the BBC weather forecast.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seems like snow heading south tonight, but when it gets to the south coast it turns to rain/sleet looking at the BBC weather forecast.

Possibly, yes. We'll have to wait and see, I feel.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For those that have an interest, the GFS ensemble output tonight contains some absolutely beautiful Scandi High setups with potent Easterlies.

Could be a move in the right direction

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If I had any idea what that means, I just might get excited. I really don't want to go to work tomorrow.

#snowdayplease

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
Light dusting around junction 8...well on the grass area along side the m25,gone by the time you get to chessington,SW6 raining and 3.oC was 0.5oC at junction 8

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
The long range forcast from 276hrs (GFS) which is a hell of along way off has biting easterlies setting in papa that'll put the cat amongst the pigeons SHOULD it happen ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here