[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Snow-in-sport-001.jpg

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Yes indeed, I am on the British Forces base here in the Falklands. Considering we are moving into spring, it should be warmer than it is and NOT snowing. Today we have had snow, rain and hail and snow is predicted for the whole weekend. Not that I care as I can walk to the bar without going outside!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's quite nice on the Brambles at the moment, Emily's Mum.

BramblesCB.jpg

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Yes indeed, I am on the British Forces base here in the Falklands. Considering we are moving into spring, it should be warmer than it is and NOT snowing. Today we have had snow, rain and hail and snow is predicted for the whole weekend. Not that I care as I can walk to the bar without going outside!

I'll tell you what if anyone moans about transport out of the Amex, I'll point them in your direction - your journey home must be a nightmare!

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I'll tell you what if anyone moans about transport out of the Amex, I'll point them in your direction - your journey home must be a nightmare!

To be fair, I haven't attempted to get out of here on a Friday to try and get the the Amex for the game on a Saturday, but if I had I wouldn't have had a seat to sit on as the club sold me a wheelchair space and seat, not the two seats that I asked for! I'm just relying on the RAF to get me & my luggage home in time for a home FA Cup fixture in January. And yes, it has snowed today :(

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It's something of a sore point. As a kid I always wanted to be a weatherman, but back then the Met Office were the only gig in town and only accepted people with Maths, Physics or Meteorology
Degrees. I didnt get good enough A levels results for the first 2 options and there were only 3 or 4 Unis doing Met back then and I missed the necessary grades by 1 or 2 points as well to go to either Reading or Queen Mary in London. So I ended up at Portsmouth (poly) doing a Geographical Science course which included Met.

The galling thing is that today, not only are there loads of forecasting/presenting options, but the Met Office accept other degrees now AND lots of places do Met degrees.

I'm too old now :-(

So even with all these degree-laiden staff, they can still miss hurricanes and fail to accurately predict the weather 24 hours out !

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Snow to hit parts of the UK by Friday according to The Sun! :ohmy:

Snow to hit UK by Friday as heatwave ends | The Sun |News

:xmas:

Don't you just love these sensational headlines. Why o why do people read this shit then go round telling everyone we're expecting 6 foot of snow this week down south. It's not unusual to get snow in September in the Scottish highlands and the Hearts v Celtic game on saturday was nearly called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Ironically, newspapers will keep predicting stuff like this year in, year out until one day, they're bound to get it right.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just thought i'd bounce this thread.

We've had a very mild autumn thus far and the synoptics have been very different to last year when there was extensive blocking and potentially snowy periods.

Thus far the models haven't been showing any change to this, but the most recent output, still way into uncertain territory has started to show some cold potential, out around mid Nov, with a high pressure establishing to the north east of the UK and possibly low pressure under-cutting.

This is probably too early for snow here, but it would feel more seasonal and maybe snow elsewhere.

As I said, it's a long way off, so will most likely not happen that way; but it shows potential when we start to see low pressure stalling in the Atlantic and blocking appearing.

I'll keep you posted of any developments.

Papa

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just thought i'd bounce this thread.

We've had a very mild autumn thus far and the synoptics have been very different to last year when there was extensive blocking and potentially snowy periods.

Thus far the models haven't been showing any change to this, but the most recent output, still way into uncertain territory has started to show some cold potential, out around mid Nov, with a high pressure establishing to the north east of the UK and possibly low pressure under-cutting.

This is probably too early for snow here, but it would feel more seasonal and maybe snow elsewhere.

As I said, it's a long way off, so will most likely not happen that way; but it shows potential when we start to see low pressure stalling in the Atlantic and blocking appearing.

I'll keep you posted of any developments.

Papa

Nice update. Bring it on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here