Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The award for the coolest dude on the pitch friday night

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Didn't something similar happen at Withdean when Hinshelwood cleared it and the ball boy gave it back to the opposition VERY quickly and they scored..

I think I remember people giving the poor lad abuse rather than completely ignoring the fact all our players had switched off.

I remember a ballboy chasing an airborne ball, not noticing the little hill leading up to the changing room/Portacabins, and ending up flat on his face right in front of the away fans. Something niggling away that it was against Palace as well.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But more importantly, what was the ballboy doing ON the pitch?

A good question - if the ballboy was on the pitch then we need to know why. If, however, he was operating in his designated area, then he wasn't ON the pitch and so would not be eligible for consideration for this award if it does exist, which I am frankly beginning to doubt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Didn't something similar happen at Withdean when Hinshelwood cleared it and the ball boy gave it back to the opposition VERY quickly and they scored..

I think I remember people giving the poor lad abuse rather than completely ignoring the fact all our players had switched off.

It was against Leyton Orient, and because there's no offside from a throw in, Scott McGleish received it, rounded our keeper and scored. H block went completely mental at the ball boy,.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've got a weird memory. I believe it was a Blackburn Rovers ball-boy in an FA cup match against Liverpool? Liverpool scored and the ball-boy got the blame from pundits for giving them the ball back so quickly. It was virtually the last action of the match. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The strange thing is that I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I seem to be able to recall trivia and nonsense from up to fifty five years ago! True!!

Spot on, this was the case. As I recall it was in the 1990's though, not the 1970's as someone mentioned above.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I've got a weird memory. I believe it was a Blackburn Rovers ball-boy in an FA cup match against Liverpool? Liverpool scored and the ball-boy got the blame from pundits for giving them the ball back so quickly. It was virtually the last action of the match. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The strange thing is that I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I seem to be able to recall trivia and nonsense from up to fifty five years ago! True!!

Sadly I remember exactly the same facts.

We're all a bit weird sometimes.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Our players hadn't switched off, the ball was punted down our right flank, went out off of us, and was immediately given to them to them to throw in and rush on goal. It was the ballboy's fault IMO, although you could say that's the club's fault for not training the ballboys properly. They should know that they have to follow the game and not rush to give the ball to the opponents in a situation like that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It was against Leyton Orient, and because there's no offside from a throw in, Scott McGleish received it, rounded our keeper and scored. H block went completely mental at the ball boy,.
Tommy Fraser had a right go at the poor lad and ended up apologising to him in the next game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here