Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Athletic

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
My £1 monthly subscription plan with The Athletic is about to run out and be increased to £7.99 per month. To encourage me not to cancel completely The Athletic are offering me a full years subscription for £9.99, plus get a year of New York Times Games free.
Now this really does sound like an offer too good to miss, or should I ignore it. Have any other NSC users had the same offer made - and is it for real?

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I haven’t got the free New York Times Games, but I have currently got The Athletic for 9.99 for the year. I share the password with my son. I cancel, then he takes up the £9.99 subscription the following year. Then he cancels, we’ve been doing this alternate years between us, seems to work!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Amazing deal, NYT games is £2.99 a month alone. They're hoping you will forget to cancel next year and it will renew at full price eventually.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Makes me wonder how they’re profitable at that price and how they are able to pay so many reporters

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Makes me wonder how they’re profitable at that price and how they are able to pay so many reporters
Me too....I don't read much of their output, but listen to their podcasts (including Tifo and the Totally Football Show) - they have some great journalists/pundits, and I'm amazed that I can get it all for free. Long may they thrive!!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
My £1 monthly subscription plan with The Athletic is about to run out and be increased to £7.99 per month. To encourage me not to cancel completely The Athletic are offering me a full years subscription for £9.99, plus get a year of New York Times Games free.
Now this really does sound like an offer too good to miss, or should I ignore it. Have any other NSC users had the same offer made - and is it for real?
currently just been upped to £7.99 but I’m happy for it to increase - I don’t like the NYT much but Athletic have great sports journalism (I got it originally for Wordle which I hardly bother with now).

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Well they must pay the journos, Andy Naylor has been on holiday celebrating Mrs N's 60th Birthday, he's back for the Arsenal game according to the platform formally known as Twatter.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Like a DFS sofa, no one has ever paid full whack for an Athletic subscription. They wlll be paying us to read them before long.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I got this as well. Great offer. Even got me back into Wordle. Would recommend biting their hand off for it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm back on £1 a month, having been on that deal previously in another year. It's definitely worth that amount of money.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I pay the full price, though I'm sure I could game it. The Athletic pays proper journalists proper money, for good articles I can access without adverts. It's totally worth it if you like it. And it's like music isn't it: if we don't pay creators and expect stuff for (almost) free, we either get shit, or people producing great stuff in their spare time while holding down another job; people can't live like that long term.

Jul 7, 2003
Never paid full price but happy with the different discounts offered. If I don't get an offer at renewal I just cancel as it is only usually a few weeks before a new offer comes up.

As others have said, there is some great journalism on the site if you have time to read, especially if you have interest in other sports. As it is a Global site, I'm surprised that they still haven't added cricket as just about every other sport is on there now.

For those talking about the profitability, I think they probably make enough money from the US subscribers not to worry although some of their comments about 'the EPL' can be somewhat mis-guided at times.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Well they must pay the journos, Andy Naylor has been on holiday celebrating Mrs N's 60th Birthday, he's back for the Arsenal game according to the platform formally known as Twatter.

The Albion content during this period has been very lacking.

You would think Naylor could save his vacation for the off-season rather than in the middle a historic season for us.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Back in June they cut 20 staff -

The Athletic cuts nearly 20 jobs, 4% of newsroom for New York Times-owned sports site

And then a month later they laid off the entire New York Times Sports Desk, replacing them with The Athletic's staff -

New York Times Shutters Sports Desk, The Athletic Takes Over

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see more lay-offs in future.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
What's New York Times Games? Is that mostly coverage of sports that barely cause a ripple on this side of the pond?
Wordle and stuff

IMG_0823.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here