Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Athletic

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Think I paid £30 for the year and that seems alright, will not be renewing at any more than that next year. £60 a year is too high.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think I paid £30 for the year and that seems alright, will not be renewing at any more than that next year. £60 a year is too high.

Yep I'm the same. £30 has turned out to be a fair price and don't feel ripped off but can't see myself playing the full £60 at renewal time.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ve still not been tempted to sign up yet, just find at the moment between podcasts and the free content online, I just don’t need it.

I’d be interested to know how well is it doing in comparison to their hopes/predictions so far? Any of those on here who work in the media able to shed any light?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Any of those on here who work in the media able to shed any light?

Doubt they'll shout about figures until the summer (if worth shouting about).

Besides, the real test will be how many renewals they get - and how many at full price.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Funnily enough I signed up two days ago, I just googled The Athletic offer and chose the cheapest one, signed up for one year and consuming loads of their articles. Enjoying it but like everyone else, I certainly won't renew for £60!!!

I consume any and all Albion related news that I can. Although right now I am only checking the following on a daily basis;
The Athletic
Football Whispers (rarely any Albion stuff on there)
Football BH

Any other good ones for Albion-related articles? I really like ones that include tactical or statistical analysis.

Also, does anyone know if the Exile is ok? He hasn't done a home match report in a while and I always look forward to those (and the away ones from the Tactician)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Funnily enough I signed up two days ago, I just googled The Athletic offer and chose the cheapest one, signed up for one year and consuming loads of their articles. Enjoying it but like everyone else, I certainly won't renew for £60!!!

I consume any and all Albion related news that I can. Although right now I am only checking the following on a daily basis;
The Athletic
Football BH

Any other good ones for Albion-related articles? I really like ones that include tactical or statistical analysis.

Also, does anyone know if the Exile is ok? He hasn't done a home match report in a while and I always look forward to those (and the away ones from the Tactician)

You might see this on other threads, if not, there aren't loads of articles but when these guys do an Albion one it's usually excellent - https://statsbomb.com/

Most recent one includes a piece on Maupay - https://statsbomb.com/2019/11/who-a...e-goal-scorers-youre-not-paying-attention-to/

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Yep I'm the same. £30 has turned out to be a fair price and don't feel ripped off but can't see myself playing the full £60 at renewal time.

You'll probably find that £60 fee magically becomes £30 – or similar – when it comes to renewal time...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The Athletic
Football BH

I generally just use https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Premier+League/Brighton?type=ln

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I read this after Southampton's 9-0 defeat by Leicester.

https://theathletic.com/1329915/201...ccessful-model-is-in-danger-of-falling-apart/

I was actually shocked. This could never have been published in any reputable newspaper - one unnamed source after another. That's not serious journalism.

Hang on. That was written by SIX journalists? And one of them was Dominic Fifield who is a Palace fan and is supposed to be covering London stories? Did I get that right?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I read this after Southampton's 9-0 defeat by Leicester.

https://theathletic.com/1329915/201...ccessful-model-is-in-danger-of-falling-apart/

I was actually shocked. This could never have been published in any reputable newspaper - one unnamed source after another. That's not serious journalism.

Carl Anka is the Southampton reporter for The Athletic. Whilst I don’t know much about him and haven’t read anything of his as I’ve not paid for The Athletic so can’t get past the paywall, I hear him on podcasts quite often and he’s dreadful on there so it doesn’t surprise me.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hang on. That was written by SIX journalists? And one of them was Dominic Fifield who is a Palace fan and is supposed to be covering London stories? Did I get that right?

I was a bit shocked by that, but Dom told me that although his name is on it, his unnamed source hadn't been used!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Carl Anka is the Southampton reporter for The Athletic. Whilst I don’t know much about him and haven’t read anything of his as I’ve not paid for The Athletic so can’t get past the paywall, I hear him on podcasts quite often and he’s dreadful on there so it doesn’t surprise me.

He had never reported on Southampton before being parachuted in there (similar situation with their Burnley guy, I'm told) so that explains some of that article, such as the incredible assertion (now edited out, I think) that Dejan Lovren hadn't been agitating for a move to Liverpool! He'd actually refused to play and Matthew Le Tissier called him out for it in the local paper. You'd have thought they'd have got Adam Leitch from the Echo and Chris Boden from the Burnley Express but maybe the money ran out ...

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
For those who subscribed from the start of the season, how are you finding it? is it worth it? do you still read the articles? I note there is a current 66% discount making it available for £20.28 now.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
For those who subscribed from the start of the season, how are you finding it? is it worth it? do you still read the articles? I note there is a current 66% discount making it available for £20.28 now.

I think it is worth it, but I struggle to find the time to read the articles I would like to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here