Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Our press haven't had to do anything, the Aussies have provided all the stories on a plate what with Micky Arthur being replaced by Lehmann, Shane Warne lambasting the selections, Ponting retiring etc.

I think Lehmann will definitely give them a bit of the "streetfighter" mentality and I could even see them having a good first test. Their problem is that the series is long and class usually outs in the end.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In order to lose a test they have to bowl us out twice, and I really can't see that Cook, Trott, Pietersen or Prior will have anything to fear from this attack.

There's a chance Root the rookie may under-perform, there's a chance Bell may go into his shell, there's a chance we might have a problem with the No. 6 batsman, but I still like our chances.

I also like the idea of playing 5 bowlers in a team of Cook, Root, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Prior, Broad, Bresnan, Swann, Anderson and Finn.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In order to lose a test they have to bowl us out twice, and I really can't see that Cook, Trott, Pietersen or Prior will have anything to fear from this attack.

There's a chance Root the rookie may under-perform, there's a chance Bell may go into his shell, there's a chance we might have a problem with the No. 6 batsman, but I still like our chances.

I also like the idea of playing 5 bowlers in a team of Cook, Root, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Prior, Broad, Bresnan, Swann, Anderson and Finn.

It's not going to happen for a long time, while Swann is at the peak of his powers, but perhaps in time Joe Root's bowling will develop to the point that he will be the key to playing 4 frontline quicks. He looks promising.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sooner or later one of our 4 bowlers are going to get injured during the game. That means someone like Root may be pressed into action and take a hammering, possibly knocking his confidence with the bat. If that happens in the 1st Test the Aussies then have a foothold in the series.

With 5 genuine bowlers this isn't an issue, you just sub in Onions or Panesar for whichever one gets injured.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sooner or later one of our 4 bowlers are going to get injured during the game. That means someone like Root may be pressed into action and take a hammering, possibly knocking his confidence with the bat. If that happens in the 1st Test the Aussies then have a foothold in the series.

With 5 genuine bowlers this isn't an issue, you just sub in Onions or Panesar for whichever one gets injured.

Yes - I didn't mean that Root was ready now for that. I meant that his bowling looks promising. I think in time he may be able to step up and play as the all-rounder (5th bowler)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

You have a point, there's always a risk - But the team is so well balanced as it is, 7,8,9 in the batting order are as good as it gets in world cricket.....

That's also why Panesar is a problem - Obv Swann is a far better bowler, but he can bat and field as well, Panesar would really upset that balance because he can't. Honestly think Swann is the key man, without him, I'd be less confident.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What are everybody's Ashes BETS?

I've invested half my Andy Murray winnings on the following:

Small:
Series Result - England 3-1 @ 6/1
First Test result - Draw @ 11/4
(Series) First Aus batsman to hit a six - Watson @ 5/2 (this looks tremendous value)

Large:
Top series bowler - Swann @ 9/2

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
This Australian team looks woeful , but then I remember the 1989 Tour
and how a bunch of no-names (Merv Who's ?) with nothing to lose somehow got it together
and stuffed you lot 4-0 . Hazily recall that it was only the weather that saved you from a 6-0 whitewash .

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What are everybody's Ashes BETS?

I've invested half my Andy Murray winnings on the following:

Small:
Series Result - England 3-1 @ 6/1
First Test result - Draw @ 11/4
(Series) First Aus batsman to hit a six - Watson @ 5/2 (this looks tremendous value)

Large:
Top series bowler - Swann @ 9/2

I really like that Watson bet. With any luck it could be done in the first session.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I don't get the Draw bet. The weather is baking hot as far as I can see so no time likely to be lost through rain. Similarly, Trent Bridge is a results wicket even though they have complained about less moisture on the wicket making batting more favourable.

I going to go large on an England Win. 10/11 is cracking value and will hopefully pay for my ticket on the Friday.
Pieterson as top runscorer for England is worth a crack. He used to play for Notts and goes well at the ground. He is also clearly in good form and 4-1 with Paddy Power who will double up if he scores a ton (if I've read thier T&C's right)
I also like the look of that Watson 6 bet.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think it'll be a hard fought 5-0. Unless it rains of course.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't get the Draw bet. The weather is baking hot as far as I can see so no time likely to be lost through rain. Similarly, Trent Bridge is a results wicket even though they have complained about less moisture on the wicket making batting more favourable.

I going to go large on an England Win. 10/11 is cracking value and will hopefully pay for my ticket on the Friday.
Pieterson as top runscorer for England is worth a crack. He used to play for Notts and goes well at the ground. He is also clearly in good form and 4-1 with Paddy Power who will double up if he scores a ton (if I've read thier T&C's right)
I also like the look of that Watson 6 bet.

Whilst I'm not in support of the draw bet, apprently Trent Bridge has become something of a batting paradise recently. Little seam movement and overhead conditions won't be condusive to conventional swing. However, reverse & turn should be factors.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't get the Draw bet. The weather is baking hot

Just that, really. Australia have batted well in their warm up games, and England bat deep. IF the pitch is a road, then a draw is a possibility. An England win is definitely more likely, but 11/4 is decent value, I reckon.

I'd rather England win, of course. It's only a few quid.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Ashes 2013

Series is about to start and while I should be confident, for some reason I am rather nervous. :(

Please tell me I am wrong and the Convicts are about to get a Spanking......

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Series is about to start and while I should be confident, for some reason I am rather nervous. :(

Please tell me I am wrong and the Convicts are about to get a Spanking......

The convicts are going to get spanked Jez.

If Australia manage to win the series it will be one of the biggest sporting achievements in history, and I mean that, England are on a different level in the TEST spectrum, just a quality side up against a bunch of AVERAGE test cricketers with the odd decent player in Clarke and Siddle.

Even if England lose a test but still romp home 3 or 4-1, they should be disappointed!

They're soooo much better than the Aussies.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am nervous too. I have a feeling it will be very one sided .
I am nervous that I think it will be so one sided. I have made a lot of money in cricket from the underdogs winning. ( I have a tenner on Broad at 60-1 to top Englands 1st innings batting)
Good. I am now excited about taking my seat at Trent Bridge tomorrow and Friday.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We're the stronger side on paper undoubtedly. But this is an Australian sports team we're playing and they won't go down without a fight. This is actually a good test of our new-found British sporting strength of character. Can we impose our superiority? Or will the first sign of a bit of Aussie fight send us back into our shells with our usual losers' "It's only a game and anyway they're Australia" mentality?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here