Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's great to se the Aussies squirm. However, I think Sydney might be an anticlimax. I'm told the forcast is very poor and there is unlikely to be a result (even with Australia's shabby batting)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's great to se the Aussies squirm. However, I think Sydney might be an anticlimax. I'm told the forcast is very poor and there is unlikely to be a result (even with Australia's shabby batting)

Or they might even do what England always used to do: ie win a game once the series (or at least the Ashes) were already lost.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I can see the Aussies making wholesale changes in the final test including Ponting stepping down. This result is really hurting their national pride

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That post-match interview with Watson was class. When asked if Australia have any chance left in this game he couldn't bring himself to say no, and just gave a rueful smile.

Fair play to him to front up to the cameras and answer the hardest questions any Aussie has had to face for a long time. I admire the guy's spirit; he's a batting all-rounder who would ordinarily be coming in at 6 but for the deficiencies in this Aussie squad.

As for England, this is a vintage crop and I'd advise anyone under 25 to drink this test in because these moments don't come around very often. Andy Flower has done it again and prepared his men faultlessly. I've been impressed with the bowling; one year ago it would have almost unthinkable that Tremlett and Bresnan could have come into the side for Broad and Finn and performed as they have.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That post-match interview with Watson was class. When asked if Australia have any chance left in this game he couldn't bring himself to say no, and just gave a rueful smile.

Fair play to him to front up to the cameras and answer the hardest questions any Aussie has had to face for a long time. I admire the guy's spirit; he's a batting all-rounder who would ordinarily be coming in at 6 but for the deficiencies in this Aussie squad.

I thought that was a good interview... Athers asked him all the awkward questions, about the state of the game, Punter, running out his opening partner, not winning the Ashes back etc... and he took it all with a wry smile and a few well chosen words.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I agree, this team is different from previous sides and given their dominance in three out of four tests they will want to go on and win the series outright. 3-1 would be a fair reflection of their dominance IMO

I'd scarcely say England dominated the first test - we had a first innings deficit of 221, although there was a good fightback. I agree though that England will want to win this in style.

The Australian side will be interesting: only four players this series can really hold their heads up - Hussey, Watson, Haddin and Harris (although Hilfenhaus and Siddle have been whole-hearted) and Harris is injured. I can see some wholesale changes coming in the next test, although I can't see who's going to be better.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How long will play last tonight ?

I cannot see the game lasting longer than lunch.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Was about to say well we've got our innings left before thinking, oh. Might be able to get some sleep tonight, and a couple of days rest before the next one then.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
If one was to select a strongest side from the two sides together, up to and including current test, what sort of line-up would you come up with? Given Broad out so not considering him, I would select from current England team plus Hussey, Siddle, Haddin and Watson. Would be too close to call for the keeper, would have Hussey for Colly. May be tempted Siddle for Bresnan but again close, and would like to fit Watson in there to. Given the squad ive chosen i reckon had i said at start of the series no place for Ponting or Clarke i would have been suprised

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm liking Tim Bresnan a lot. He always seems like a good character to have around, he's come in having sat out most of the Tests so far and bowled really well (no sulking) and he did EASILY the best sprinkler impression out of all the England players.

Can't believe he's only 25/26 though. He looks about 35.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I'm liking Tim Bresnan a lot. He always seems like a good character to have around, he's come in having sat out most of the Tests so far and bowled really well (no sulking) and he did EASILY the best sprinkler impression out of all the England players.

Can't believe he's only 25/26 though. He looks about 35.

I was saying same thing the other day, certainly looks 30+

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

I keep getting the feeling this series has been an anticlimax. With the last 3 tests all being so one-sided it's not really been a great contest. It's always good to bash the Aussie's though

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Last time we won the Ashes in Melbourne this fellow was named man of the match:
69337.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here