* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Close of play, England lead by 59 runs with 10 wkts in hand.
Couldn't have wished for a better 1st day

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Morning chaps. Anything much been happening ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh dear, the Aussies have collapsed :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Two days solid batting now then put them to the sword

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I claim responsibility for the magnificent play today. Bit too pissed yesterday and had to get up to go to Daggers today, so I went to bed and didn't watch it. :facepalm:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Came down at 7am and switched on. England 129-0. Assumed there had ben some rain and we were making a bloody good start. Had no idea for a few minutes that Australia had ALREADY batted!! Dream start - literally. Apparently Aussies streaming out of the ground during the afternoon. What a bunch of w@nkers.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Came down at 7am and switched on. England 129-0. Assumed there had ben some rain and we were making a bloody good start. Had no idea for a few minutes that Australia had ALREADY batted!! Dream start - literally. Apparently Aussies streaming out of the ground during the afternoon. What a bunch of w@nkers.

If anyone dares to disagree that they are the worst losers in the entire world, then they are f***ing stupid. England have been shithouse for donkeys years yet regularly fill stadia nationwide

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I managed to stay up til the Convicts were 4 down and we had the rain break. All we heard while the wickets tumbled was " What a marvellous stadium, people a still streaming in..... "

Well it emptied a lot faster than it filled !:laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

Marvellous scenes....:D

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I can just see us having a monumental collapse in a true English stylee tomorrow, the Aussies then piling on 600 in their second innings and then skittling us out for 100.

Never rule the criminals out !!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Classic from Sir Geoffrey Boycott when Australia were 15/0 after four or five overs:

"I can't see any way how England can win this Test from what I've seen so far. A draw would do. If you were an opener, you'd be queueing up to bat on this compared to Perth."

:dunce:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
When I went to bed the Aussies had lost their first wicket, during the night I dreamt that they scored over 300 on the first day...imagine my shock when I checked the score on waking up this morning...Happy Boxing Day!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
:laugh: went to bed at 1 expecting to awake with Aus having been skittled for maybe 200-250 or something but that is funny!! Bring home the ASHES lads:rave:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Classic from Sir Geoffrey Boycott when Australia were 15/0 after four or five overs:

"I can't see any way how England can win this Test from what I've seen so far. A draw would do. If you were an opener, you'd be queueing up to bat on this compared to Perth."

He also said something along the lines of " I'm an expert, that's why I give an analysis - you're not , that's why you commentate "

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think the morning session needs to be watched tonight........

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If anyone dares to disagree that they are the worst losers in the entire world, then they are f***ing stupid. England have been shithouse for donkeys years yet regularly fill stadia nationwide

Hello again from Melbourne and a wonderful day at the MCG - the most one-sided day of cricket I have ever witnessed! :clap2:

Have taken some Maarvelous photos of the Ponsford Stand full AM and virtually empty PM :bigwave:

Really looking forward to buying all available Convict Newspapers in the morning so I can snip out and bring home the Sports Pages with their take on what happened today (BTW I can tell them - they were second rate in every facet of the game)

It all looks pretty bleak for Punter and his boys and after, as you so rightly say, the utter shithouse we have been in Australia for years, it was a HUGE pleasure to walk out of the MCG with England fans celebrating that performance with almost no Aussies to be seen.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

That quote from the pompous yorkshire pudding is almost funnier and better than what has happened on the pitch.

I just phoned my nephew who was born in Perth and now lives just up country from Melbourne. Woke him up and he was less than impressed when I laughed - worth the call I suffered from him after the last match!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports