* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This was my post at the end of day one, just after we'd knocked them over for 245. I can't believe how prophetic it was. I really should have lumped on.

End of day 2, we were 317/2
We declared on 620/5
We bowled them out for 304

Superb predictions, Mystic Sim!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Tremlett all the way he looked really good in the warm-up, and is the most like for like replacement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the Broad replacement I'd go with Tremlett. He and Shahzad are better bowlers than Bresnan and we don't need Bresnan's runs.

Tremlett should like Perth; Broad took 5 wickets there - he's tall and Tremlett's taller. And Tremlett has taken 7 wickets to Shahzad's 3.

One other factor is Shahzad's aggression. He could rub the Aussies up the wrong way, which could actually get them going. I'd rather have another quietly efficient bowler doing their job and letting the Aussies fret.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm pretty convinced Bresnan will be picked. The selectors tend to be paranoid about the batting and it will weigh on thier minds that the Ashes are won if the Aussies can't take 20 wickets in the next 3 tests. Bresnan only strengthens that view.

Personally, I'd like to see Tremlett as a like for like replacement as I can't ever see Bresnan picking up a Five for and the batting looks strong enough as it is (1000-8 or whatever we are in the last 2 innings)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Picking Bresnan would be a signal we're going to sit on the 1-0 lead. It would also be a risky strategy; if Broad or Finn got injured we'd be down to 2 1/2 proper bowlers.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
We really don't need extra runs and Swann coming in at 8 isn't exactly a disaster, the boy can hold a bat. I think the confident mentality of the current set up will see us pick Tremlett, keep on the front foot like.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
But finishing at around 9am, so I suppose the last couple of sessions each day should be a doddle.

True. Will set my alarm for the start of the second session and watch it until 8:45ish when I have to leave for work. Should work out better than Adelaide thinking about it

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Tremlett for me over Bresnan, he is also a pretty useful lower order batsman

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
i have no doubt i will be a fair weather fan! bed at 9pm, up at 4am, if we doing badly then back to bed lol

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'm pretty convinced Bresnan will be picked. The selectors tend to be paranoid about the batting and it will weigh on thier minds that the Ashes are won if the Aussies can't take 20 wickets in the next 3 tests. Bresnan only strengthens that view.

Personally, I'd like to see Tremlett as a like for like replacement as I can't ever see Bresnan picking up a Five for and the batting looks strong enough as it is (1000-8 or whatever we are in the last 2 innings)

The whole point now is to stop a mid-innings collapse in the remaining tests. With Aus having to win two out of three, I think we'll opt to have a strong batting line-up rather than the best bowling combo.

Having said that...maybe it's revenge time for 2006/7...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Yahoo ran a story about that, apparently it never got physical but they had to be held apart, after a lot of verbals. It was Beefy getting angry about something Chappelli had said according to them. I think they just detest each other.

One of the Chappells was on R4 Tuesday night as the aussies collapsed, I thought it was Ian. Greg is apparently a selector, Ian said he didn't envy his job. By the way why the F**k can't the BBC move the shipping forcast just for an hour or two until the lunchbreak, the last wicket fell just as I heard what was happening over the Dogger Bank. Aggers has to keep apologising and telling people to get on the digital channel. I just want to stay tucked up in bed with my tranny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports