Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes: First Test *OFFICIAL* thread

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
The Complete Badger said:
We've got to be looking at getting them out for 500 now. I know that's ambitious, and it all hinges on getting Ponting out soon. Freddie is bowling brilliantly, but why is there f*** all in the way of support?

we may be able to rescue a draw if we get ponting out soon and freddie keeps up the good work.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza said:
Anyone got a stat on the highest 'An innings and X runs' defeats of all time?

Good old Wikipedia.

Given the description of the pitch, an entry into this table looks unlikely.

But with the way Pietersen was turning it yesterday who knows what will happen when Warne gets ripping it...

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Interesting use of the word "missed" there. You seem to be implying something has taken place that you would actually have WANTED to see, because trust me it hasn't!
Watching the highlights now, doesn't look as bad as everyone's making out. Anderson is getting stick on cricinfo for no reason, Harmison looks a shadow of himself.
Makes you wonder if Monty would've made any difference

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Bozza said:
But with the way Pietersen was turning it yesterday who knows what will happen when Warne gets ripping it...
Warne is a big worry. If he wasn't there then i'd be confident of us knocking up a similar score, but warne can turn the ball on any surface and has the potential to make us look very silly. Our basman always look shit scared of him, and I don't blame them. I know I am.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
First test to the Aussies, it seems. :glare:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So Billy, a declaration seems sadly inevitable. When do you reckon they will do it?
At either 550/600ish or the last session, whichever comes first. I can't see them batting all day, they'll want to have a go at our openers in the evening.

..........nice one Gilo :nono:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No rush for a declaration at all. If they're still in, they might give us a nervy 10-15 overs at the end of today.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
IMO, that's going to be CRUCIAL. If we can avoid losing a wicket, it might just give us the confidence to build a total somewhere near theirs. If we lose a wicket or two, I predict an embarrassing collapse!
Agreed.Strauss and cook really need to spend a bit of time at the crease, it's not as much the wicket but, as you say, the confidence factor. To loose an early wicket would be a disaster, loose two and we're f***ed and might as well sit on the wicket and play synchronised monkey tossing for the last three days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here