Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 16.0%

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The first ball of the series was bowled on June 16th. Since then the NSC Ashes Test threads have produced 4076 comments at an average of 1019.00 and 111k views at an average of 27.75k. The highest scores inevitably coming from THAT Test at Lords. Unfortunately, I am unable to produce the averages for the highest contributors as we were once able to do. The NSC software is clearly no Wendy Wimbush.

So, how do folk feel ? Well, there was an inevitably about the rain's arrival in the land of Lowry. In fact I wonder how he would have depicted the scene on Sunday. The despondent matchsticks making their way down Talbot Road, heads bowed, perhaps a few stray dogs following, hoping for some scraps from the untouched ham and tomato baps.

It was once said that the goodbyes issued by Sussex members at the end of the season always had hearty meaning to them as some would indeed be permanent. Well hopefully that won't be the case for Old Trafford in an Ashes series, despite the emotional outbursts and silly and slightly inaccurate climatic observations. There is no Ashes there next time or indeed at Headingly, which is a shame.

But there is still much to play for more than pride. If England can secure a win at The Oval then the next time the Aussies arrive here it will have been 26 years since their last Ashes victory in Blighty. The longest distance between away series victories in The Ashes... ever.

I expect England's form to continue and the series to be levelled. And I'm always right about these things. Except when I'm wrong.

So join us in here for the last hurrah, know it all observations, witty remarks and ripostes, useless stats (see above) and fondness and farewells as we migrate to the football season afterwards for more of the same.

Forecast: 2-2

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
This could prove to be another tight match, albeit it feels like less at stake.

The forecast places less importance on the toss, although it’s conceivable it won’t be needed as Australia would like bat first and England bowl first.

Although traditionally the Oval is a bat first pitch; spinners tend to have success at the back end.

I’ll go with England mainly due to the loss of Lyon which is massive for Australia.

My biggest concern for England is Ali’s bowling which has been poor all series and the potential injury to Woakes who’s been in great form since returning.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Interesting to read this article and compare it to the experience (and complaints) at cricket and football grounds in England:

Edit: I think England will win at The Oval, by the way.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This could prove to be another tight match, albeit it feels like less at stake.

The forecast places less importance on the toss, although it’s conceivable it won’t be needed as Australia would like bat first and England bowl first.

Although traditionally the Oval is a bat first pitch; spinners tend to have success at the back end.

I’ll go with England mainly due to the loss of Lyon which is massive for Australia.

My biggest concern for England is Ali’s bowling which has been poor all series and the potential injury to Woakes who’s been in great form since returning.

True words Big Man except it feeling like less at stake. We need to smash them 2-2 😆 and show that their cheating, negative cricket puts them below us in terms of entertainment. If they win then they deserve to keep the urn that we keep at Lord's anyway.

What potential injury for Woakes. 😲

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
My pre-series forecast was 2-2 so I will stick with that, weather permitting of course!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
If the weather allows I think England will win. When they have been on top in this series it has been brutal. You have to commend the Aussies for making the most of the opportunities that we have given them in securing those first two tests. Another terrific contest that you just cannot take your eyes off.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Anyone know how to get tickets for the Test? Without having to pay over the nose from secondary ticket resellers.
Probably got more chance of buying rocking horse poo than Test tickets!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’m really looking forward to this match. Drawing a series against the world test champions would be a pretty decent achievement and one on which to build. Should be a really entertaining match. No need to take your stumps home just because we can’t win the Ashes back…….this time.
I'm looking forward to it as well. I have a feeling we'll roll them over realtively easily given the momentum and motivation from the last two tests.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Anyone know how to get tickets for the Test? Without having to pay over the nose from secondary ticket resellers.
Probably got more chance of buying rocking horse poo than Test tickets!
Yes, go to the ECB website. You will need to buy in the priority window. I think they sell out months before the match starts so a bit late for this year.

Edit; Saying ‘sold out’ for every day on the Oval website.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Got tickets for Sunday, hoping the rain stays away. and England haven't won by then!!!
It may be better to hope for a little bit of rain beforehand just to make sure you see the full day. Possibly with another half hour added.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've only ever been to one Test match in England. The final day at The Oval in 2009.

I paid £120 from a tout on Gumtree who turned out to be ground staff. Anyway, it was worth it. England won the Ashes that day.

5688_256515630601_740955601_8524757_4113619_n.jpg

The late, great Bob taking questions from a few punters. 'Yeeeesss, I wouldn't fly them business class, I'd 'ave them strapped to the wing if they played as badly as they did over there last time'

5688_256515695601_740955601_8524761_2552587_n.jpg

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It may be better to hope for a little bit of rain beforehand just to make sure you see the full day. Possibly with another half hour added.
I’ve got tickets for all 5 days again, I think I’ve given it a good go this summer having only missed 3 days of the entire series (but despite that one poster still gave me stick earlier on here for missing day 5 at Edgbaston ‘you’ve literally left the cup final before it’s finished’ or words to that effect!!). I think I sleep with a clear conscience on that score…..

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I’ve got tickets for Saturday. Weather already looks sketchy and I reckon we’ll only see the morning session if the BBC weather app is anything to go by 😞

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’ve got tickets for Saturday. Weather already looks sketchy and I reckon we’ll only see the morning session if the BBC weather app is anything to go by 😞
I always look at the weather forecast that gives the weather I want.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I just feel that a really exciting climax to the series has been spoilt by Test cricket not moving on to the 21st centuary.
The weather was an issue at Wimbledon, they built a roof. If a whole day is wiped out due to rain, why not just add an extra day like a major golf tounament to get all holes in, or at least start 10am, finish later with flood lights on to get as much play as possible, unlike the damp squib that ended an exciting series.
I would be saying the same thing if England held the Urn.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I just feel that a really exciting climax to the series has been spoilt by Test cricket not moving on to the 21st centuary.
The weather was an issue at Wimbledon, they built a roof. If a whole day is wiped out due to rain, why not just add an extra day like a major golf tounament to get all holes in, or at least start 10am, finish later with flood lights on to get as much play as possible, unlike the damp squib that ended an exciting series.
I would be saying the same thing if England held the Urn.
Well, if we played under a roof I think Anderson would have his place back for a few more years.

I remember nets at Sussex where I couldn't control the swing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here