[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don’t get it right that often, so am going to brag about this. I called it almost perfectly:

Didn’t need an epic innings from Stokes, just Brook adding 35 runs to his lunchtime total, Woakes also in the 30s, and even though the other 3 didn’t get significant runs on their own, they still got a more-than-useful 34 plus any extras that came whilst occupying the crease.

Can’t wait for Old Trafford!
Exactly. The notion that we're a one man team is for the birds. There was a reason England were favourites going into the final innings.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Exactly. The notion that we're a one man team is for the birds. There was a reason England were favourites going into the final innings.
We really do bat quite deeply in this side - even Broad at 10 has a test ton and a load of 50s to his name. The Aussies, on the other hand, seem to have collapsed quite easily in 5 out of 6 innings this series once we’ve got our 5th wicket.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well that sets things up quite nicely. I think it showed the Aussie attack isn’t as potent as we all thought it was.

even though I am a proud Yorkshireman, I think it’s time to ditch Bairstow and pick the guy who kept last year when he was out injured. Bairstow is not good enough a keeper at the moment IMHO.

I actually thought Robinson was out of sorts this test match.

the interesting thing is do they pick Anderson for wankylankyland or stick with the bowling attack they had this test.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Well that sets things up quite nicely. I think it showed the Aussie attack isn’t as potent as we all thought it was.

even though I am a proud Yorkshireman, I think it’s time to ditch Bairstow and pick the guy who kept last year when he was out injured. Bairstow is not good enough a keeper at the moment IMHO.

the interesting thing is do they pick Anderson for wankylankyland or stick with the bowling attack they had this test.

Anderson for Robinson I would think.

Foakes for Bairstow I would hope.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not if Robinson's back problem clears up surely. Anderson hasn't looked a patch on his old self in the first two tests.
If Robbo is injured I'd go to Tonge or Potts. Keep Wood, Woakes and Broad.

With a decent gap hopefully Robinson will be available to play.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Foakes was in the team as wicketkeeper all of last season, even when Bairstow was fit.
Which makes the decision to swap back, given how well Foakes had done, even more peculiar.
I'd be inclined to pick Tongue for the next match over Anderson if Robinson isn't fit. Not dropping any of Broad, Wood or Woakes given how they did in this game.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Foakes was in the team as wicketkeeper all of last season, even when Bairstow was fit.
Which makes the decision to swap back, given how well Foakes had done, even more peculiar.
I'd be inclined to pick Tongue for the next match over Anderson if Robinson isn't fit. Not dropping any of Broad, Wood or Woakes given how they did in this game.
Horses for courses for me. Not sure Woakes will be as effective at Old Trafford. That said neither would Anderson I don't think.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not if Robinson's back problem clears up surely. Anderson hasn't looked a patch on his old self in the first two tests.
I'd go with an fit unchanged XI at this stage though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Horses for courses for me. Not sure Woakes will be as effective at Old Trafford. That said neither would Anderson I don't think.
Both Woakes and Anderson have outstanding records at Old Trafford.

It's difficult to pick a side really. Injuries may decide for them.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Both Woakes and Anderson have outstanding records at Old Trafford.

It's difficult to pick a side really. Injuries may decide for them.
Woakes averages under 19 with the ball across 5 matches at Old Trafford. Anderson about 22. Both are obviously excellent.
Woakes has the added benefit of averaging 47 there with the bat.
Obviously 5 matches isn't an enormous sample size, but I certainly wouldn't worry about picking him there.
This Headingley pitch was more like a normal Old Trafford pitch anyway, dry with good pace and carry. Excellent work by the groundsman :clap2:

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Australia are rattled. The way smith reacted the other day when he got out playing a dumb shot when bairstow made a comment shows they are flapping. They are setting defensive fields. We had 15 runs this morning just blocking the ball to deep point. They got lucky in the first two tests but they are scared.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think they took the decision because they knew that Stokes wouldn't be able to bowl much and wanted to have five bowlers available which means that they favoured a 'batsman wicketkeeper' over a 'wicketkeeper batsman'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Watching the compelling highlights on bbc2. A couple of mini highlights:

That Wood 6 and resulting crowd roar. Immense.

Carey failing to take that backpeddling difficult chance … the biased commentary were openly laughing :lolol:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think they took the decision because they knew that Stokes wouldn't be able to bowl much and wanted to have five bowlers available which means that they favoured a 'batsman wicketkeeper' over a 'wicketkeeper batsman'.
The batsman wicketkeeper has not done that much in this test apart from gift Australia lots of runs through dropped catches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports