Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What an interesting day's play. Dissapointing to have let them get to 240-4 after that start, but we do seem to be very good at stopping their lower order from making to much of an impact on the score. In the 4 innings were we've bowled them out in this series we seem to have mopped up the last 4-5 wickets for no more than 40-60 runs each time.

Not too dissapointed with 68-3 at the end. It was always going to be torrid against the new ball on this pitch, and at least we made them get those 3 wickets rather than us giving them away like 1st innings at Lords. If one of Root or Stokes can get a score of some sort, then we're right in this match as our tail seems to be a bit more capable of putting together 20-40 run partnerships.
I think the time is right for Bairstow to finally hit a decent score. The looks he gave Carey here imply that he is fully concentrating and out for revenge.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
20/20 qtr final birmingham v Essex bowler and batsman massive collision birmingham run out the bat birmingham are not even interested in calling him back Nick knight on comms made a valid point saying sprit of cricket should only be over discipline

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think the time is right for Bairstow to finally hit a decent score. The looks he gave Carey here imply that he is fully concentrating and out for revenge.
Well....if ' old iron gloves ' is to make up for his mistakes behind the stumps so far in this series, then he needs to make something in the region of 240.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What an interesting day's play. Dissapointing to have let them get to 240-4 after that start, but we do seem to be very good at stopping their lower order from making to much of an impact on the score. In the 4 innings were we've bowled them out in this series we seem to have mopped up the last 4-5 wickets for no more than 40-60 runs each time.

Not too dissapointed with 68-3 at the end. It was always going to be torrid against the new ball on this pitch, and at least we made them get those 3 wickets rather than us giving them away like 1st innings at Lords. If one of Root or Stokes can get a score of some sort, then we're right in this match as our tail seems to be a bit more capable of putting together 20-40 run partnerships.
We have to mop up the tail after the chances we give the better batsmen. They should have been 98-5 and nowhere near 150. Once again, a wonderful opportunity goes begging. Bairstow again ( and again and again ) and Root inexplicably drops a dolly. I know Headingly isn't great for sighting the ball. Keith Fletcher dropped four there once and got dogs abuse from the locals. Surprise, surprise Root and Bairstow get away with silence and murmuring.
Agree about Crawley and Brook but Duckett threw his wicket away.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
20/20 qtr final birmingham v Essex bowler and batsman massive collision birmingham run out the bat birmingham are not even interested in calling him back Nick knight on comms made a valid point saying sprit of cricket should only be over discipline
Got nothing to do with the spirit of the game though. The batman could have been given out for obstructing the fielder if he wasn't run out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How many wickets down will we be by lunch? I can see us being around 160/8.

Miles behind again.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Got nothing to do with the spirit of the game though. The batman could have been given out for obstructing the fielder if he wasn't run out.
Indeed. There seem to be a few ex players trying to excuse Carey. Perhaps guilty consciences driving this whataboutery. A cheat is a cheat and professional sportsmen are the biggest cheats going.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
How many wickets down will we be by lunch? I can see us being around 160/8.

Miles behind again.
Simster, the beauty of NSC, I'm going totally the other way.

Think Root and Bairstow on their home ground will dig in, 200/3 plus by lunch, think we will end up with a decent first innings lead before them back in probably just before lunch tomorrow.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Think Root and Bairstow on their home ground will dig in, 200/3 plus by lunch, think we will end up with a decent first innings lead before them back in probably just before lunch tomorrow.
What, and then we'll skittle them for 140 with Root taking 4 slip catches and Bairstow 2 stumpings and a salmon-esque diving catch?

I think not, Mr H!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
We have to mop up the tail after the chances we give the better batsmen. They should have been 98-5 and nowhere near 150. Once again, a wonderful opportunity goes begging. Bairstow again ( and again and again ) and Root inexplicably drops a dolly. I know Headingly isn't great for sighting the ball. Keith Fletcher dropped four there once and got dogs abuse from the locals. Surprise, surprise Root and Bairstow get away with silence and murmuring.
Agree about Crawley and Brook but Duckett threw his wicket away.
To be fair to the Yorkshire crowd (although Lord knows why anybody would want to do that), I think the major irritation with Fletcher was that he'd been picked over Phil Sharpe, who was considered the best slip fielder in the country and had been pulled out of the Yorkshire XI on the morning of championship game to be in the squad.
It seems peculiar with hindsight that Fletcher was put at first slip on his debut, which wouldn't happen now.
The backdrop for the slip fielders will be completely different now, although the commentators were suggesting the slope can make it tricky to judge the flight of the ball. That said, you'd think Root and Bairstow would be used to that if anybody is, and it didn't seem to cause the Australians any problems.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Woakes and Ali can both hold a bat. Wood can attack on his day. We might apporach parity with them when 200 SHOULD have got us a lead in this test. You can talk about the batting/style all you want but the fielding has been poor hasn't it.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Good batting day ……. potentially
IMG_2998.jpeg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

It wouldn't be the first time they've done it. Edgbaston 2022, anyone ?

We need some responsibility. We need some help from the likes of Woakes, Ali and Robinson who can all bat. Even Wood can make a few.

Problem is the wicket is quicker here so they need to adjust.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Indeed. There seem to be a few ex players trying to excuse Carey. Perhaps guilty consciences driving this whataboutery. A cheat is a cheat and professional sportsmen are the biggest cheats going.
I think the worst part of the discussions around the Carey/Bairstow incident is the people labelling Carey (and the rest of the Aussie team by extension) as "cheats" when everyone who is responsible for setting, administering, and enforcing the laws of the game is in full agreement that it was a legal dismissal. The fact you disagree with that form of dismissal being within the "spirit of the game" does not mean they've cheated. IMO the fact you're labelling them as cheats is exposing your own bias and you need to step back and reconsider whether your opinion is being affected by that.

Bairstow himself has previously said that if a mode of dismissal is legal within the laws of the game, then it's fair game and he'll try it. There's plenty of evidence of him doing exactly that historically, so I'm still firmly of the opinion that he has only himself to blame. The Labuschagne incident just a couple of days before proves it. And no, I don't accept the batsman taking guard outside the crease as relevant: 1) doing so is within the laws of the game, 2) all batsmen do it from time to time, and 3) by the time Bairstow made his attempt Labu was grounded behind the line having stepped back in playing the ball. If you're (can't remember if it was you specifically, but I've seen it mentioned multiple times by those defending Bairstow) telling me that Bairstow attempting a long-range run out on Labu was fair game and within the "spirit of the game", then Carey's attempt was as well. You can't have it both ways.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To be fair to the Yorkshire crowd (although Lord knows why anybody would want to do that), I think the major irritation with Fletcher was that he'd been picked over Phil Sharpe, who was considered the best slip fielder in the country and had been pulled out of the Yorkshire XI on the morning of championship game to be in the squad.
It seems peculiar with hindsight that Fletcher was put at first slip on his debut, which wouldn't happen now.
The backdrop for the slip fielders will be completely different now, although the commentators were suggesting the slope can make it tricky to judge the flight of the ball. That said, you'd think Root and Bairstow would be used to that if anybody is, and it didn't seem to cause the Australians any problems.
I seem to remember Peter Willey putting a chance down right at the death in the Leeds Test in 1981, possibly off Alderman.

Imagine if that had been Fletcher...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I seem to remember Peter Willey putting a chance down right at the death in the Leeds Test in 1981, possibly off Alderman.

Imagine if that had been Fletcher...
Something like that, although Willey's from Durham and played for Northants.
I sat in a stand at Wantage Road a few rows behind him at the first Championship game of the season a few years ago (Duckett got about 200, I missed the only wicket to fall while I was there because I was in the bar). I was probably imagining the intimidating air around him, but at the same time we were the only two people in the stand. Not sure anybody would dare to abuse him even if he dropped Bradman on 0.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think the worst part of the discussions around the Carey/Bairstow incident is the people labelling Carey (and the rest of the Aussie team by extension) as "cheats" when everyone who is responsible for setting, administering, and enforcing the laws of the game is in full agreement that it was a legal dismissal.
Sorry, nobody has disputed it's a legal dismissal, but so is the Mankad run out. Personally I think Mankad is fair enough if a warning has been given, as that is the non striking batsman trying to gain an advantage. But this? Where is the justification for what Carey did?

To recap, Bairstow ducked a bouncer, scraped his bat as he left his crease to chat to Stokes assuming over had been called (it was after the 6th ball). What Carey did was the act of a bad sport who was worried the game might be getting away. Bad sportsmanship sounds less offensive I guess, and is all about diffusing the situation. I'll stick with CHEATING.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here