[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Is it just me or does anyone else watch whilst putting on a fake Bill Lawry voice like the 12th Man?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is it just me or does anyone else watch whilst putting on a fake Bill Lawry voice like the 12th Man?
Got 'im.

Haven't seen any pigeons though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thankfully neither mistake has cost this morning as a batsman fell shortly afterwards. But, yes, that Head drop could have been costly.

The Smith dismissal was interesting and highlights what I said earlier. He genuinely didn't think he had touched it. DRS is the opposite of VAR- mostly.
Not buying that personally. He would have known.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
To be fair to Smith, he was pretty adamant he hadn’t edged it. I can understand using gamesmanship or “cheating” by not walking, but to waste an appeal would be pointless if he knew. I reckon he genuinely didn’t reckon he edged it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
To be fair to Smith, he was pretty adamant he hadn’t edged it. I can understand using gamesmanship or “cheating” by not walking, but to waste an appeal would be pointless if he knew. I reckon he genuinely didn’t reckon he edged it.
I’ve never faced someone of Broads calibre but I’d be very surprised if he didn’t feel the edge, I’ve played cricket (albeit badly) and it’s always fairly obvious you’ve edged it, remember not walking a few times due to questionable umpiring despite what I thought was an obvious nick

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
One more wicket until Carey is at the crease. It’d almost be a shame if it happens too soon after lunch before the Western Terrace crowd has got properly tanked up.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’ve never faced someone of Broads calibre but I’d be very surprised if he didn’t feel the edge, I’ve played cricket (albeit badly) and it’s always fairly obvious you’ve edged it, remember not walking a few times due to questionable umpiring despite what I thought was an obvious nick
But presumably you never had the technology to say you nicked it when you thought you hadn't?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It could be biasness but I always think other fielders seem to drop more when we're not playing a proper keeper. Almost as if the rest of them switch off and assume catching can't be that important

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
13 drops/missed stumpings from England already this series.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
But presumably you never had the technology to say you nicked it when you thought you hadn't?
This is the thing when people say you always feel the edge, unless you're playing with snicko or hotspot or whatever, you'll never know if you've edged one and not felt it.
It's not uncommon for test batters to review a caught behind that is then shown to be out. In most cases they seem genuinely surprised by the result.
On the other hand, I remember Virat Kohli walking off (in the World Cup?) and it turned out he'd missed it. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports