Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I’ve noticed that the Australians are very good at coming up with a counter argument or example, and for them that’s enough. It doesn’t matter if the facts are different, or if the example is irrelevant or if they are at completeLy different levels of severity, for them one argument countered by another is enough. And it means they can ignore more relevant ones that overwhelmingly prove their guilt.

I’ve concluded that there therefore is no chance to have a sensible debate on it. They are so convinced they are right and just put everything into defending the indefensible. I experienced the same at the 2019 World Cup final when the Aussie in front of me was convinced very vocally that the ball that ricocheted off Stokes’ bat was worse that the whole sandpaper-gate and was deliberate cheating. And he was deadly serious And tried to ruin the moment for everyone around. The Kiwis around me were fine with it, by the way.

They are a different breed, and make up the rules as they go along, yet claim :‘it’s within the rules’ when it suits them. It’s a waste of breath and energy having a serious debate with them on such things. Talk to a Kiwi if you want to get a more balanced view from that corner of the globe!
I am surprised, given the detail that Travis Head provided of his exchange with Bairstow, that nobody's replied to my original query with the footage.
It seemed to be quite straightforward for people to dig out footage of attempted stumpings from earlier this series, and stumpings from about 10years ago in the county championship.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
If you watch the Carey Bairstow stumping carefully you will see that at the point Carey releases the ball Bairstow is actually still in his ground. But in the moment the ball takes to travel to the stumps he has walked out of his ground. Dozy? Yes. Spirit of the game? Same as a Mankad IMHO.
I've never had a problem with Mankading.
The batter's trying to gain an advantage, and it really shouldn't be a problem for anybody who's paying attention to time leaving their crease with ball leaving the hand.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
If anyone can't wait for cricket action this morning, the Scots are against The Netherlands for a place in the final. A win guarantees Scotland a place in the world cup. The Dutch need to chase whatever Scotland get within 44 overs, so should be an entertaining finish. A real shame that the ICC have made the world cup 10 teams.
West Indies are out by the way. The money that's on offer at the world cup would be huge for Dutch cricket, who are currently missing 7 first team players due to county commitments/injuries so the fact they're still fighting is a testament to how the Dutch are improving.

Scotland currently 161-3 after 32.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Going to reserve judgement on my prediction til after the toss, if Australia win the toss then they win the Test, if England win the toss then Australia will win the Test.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bairstow marks his ground at the same time, if not slightly after the ball has left Careys hand.

Just because he thought it was dead, doesn't mean it was dead, a quick glance would have seen the ball was already on its way to the stumps
He didn't attempt a shot, and hadn't set himself outside the crease during the delivery, so he was not seeking any kind of advantage before or after the delivery. Its completely different from your standard stumping when the ball is still to all intents and purposes 'live'.

They exploited the fact that it is within the rules, and it probably won them the Test. But in doing so they simply reinforced the fact that they are a bunch of snides.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
image.jpg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Bowl? Don’t agree with that looking at the forecast, shows a lack of confidence in our batting doesn’t it? Although tomorrow is meant to be the hottest clearest day for batting, I guess the way we think is even if we bat big we won’t still be batting by lunch tomorrow, when conditions will be at their best, bowling makes it ‘likely’ we will bat tomorrow under the best conditions

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Bowl? Don’t agree with that looking at the forecast, shows a lack of confidence in our batting doesn’t it? Although tomorrow is meant to be the hottest clearest day for batting, I guess the way we think is even if we bat big we won’t still be batting by lunch tomorrow
As Nass said, the last 4 or 5 Tests have gone the way of the side bowling first or something like that.

Cummins said he'd have done the same.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bowl? Don’t agree with that looking at the forecast, shows a lack of confidence in our batting doesn’t it? Although tomorrow is meant to be the hottest clearest day for batting, I guess the way we think is even if we bat big we won’t still be batting by lunch tomorrow, when conditions will be at their best, bowling makes it ‘likely’ we will bat tomorrow under the best conditions
Hardly took advantage of the conditions last time. Maybe we just fancy another chase.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I've never had a problem with Mankading.
The batter's trying to gain an advantage, and it really shouldn't be a problem for anybody who's paying attention to time leaving their crease with ball leaving the hand.
I don't have a problem with a Mankad particularly when there's a run chase and the non striker is taking the piss by backing up way too far. However, even in that scenario I think the laws should stipulate that the bowler give the non striker one clear warning.

Here's the total shitehousery example of a Mankad and respect to our player for shaking their hands

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don't have a problem with a Mankad particularly when there's a run chase and the non striker is taking the piss by backing up way too far. However, even in that scenario I think the laws should stipulate that the bowler give the non striker one clear warning.

Here's the total shitehousery example of a Mankad and respect to our player for shaking their hands

Teams only team to do it when they are in desperate situations, which in itself says a lot, teams know it’s against the spirit and sportsmanship of cricket but in desperate times when you can’t get a wicket, anything goes.

And the difference between the incident the other day and mankad is with that you are actively gaining/trying to gain an advantage

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Boom!

Aus 4-1

0.5 W Broad to Warner, OUT
Edged and taken at second slip! Broad gets Warner again! Sweet 16. Good length, fifth stump line, no need to play, he pushes at it firmly, gets a thick edge and it flies rib high to Crawley's left and he opens his body nicely to pouch it. Crowd erupts.
David Warner c Crawley b Broad 4 (5b 1x4 0x6) SR: 80

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here