Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The frustration of the first two Tests still sits with me. So many opportunities not taken.
Our batsmen are averaging more than the Aussies but we are 0-2 down. Indifferent bowling and key catches dropped significant. Anderson has finally lost his edge and continually picking ' old iron gloves ' behind the stumps has certainly cost us one Test. We need to win this one just to keep the summer alive.
Fingers crossed but wearing steel covered boots for obvious reasons.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’ll be watching religiously of course - what’s the forecast like? Pretty grim here

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Tomorrow on Day One I'm sitting in the middle of a group of Aussies wearing Aussie clobber on the Western Terrace.
What could possibly go wrong?
Good morning Martin, hope you have a good day.

I'm sure all due decorum will be shown to our overseas guests...*

*As in booing the cheating bastards when walking out, walking off and basically whenever they touch the ball....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The frustration of the first two Tests still sits with me. So many opportunities not taken.
Our batsmen are averaging more than the Aussies but we are 0-2 down. Indifferent bowling and key catches dropped significant. Anderson has finally lost his edge and continually picking ' old iron gloves ' behind the stumps has certainly cost us one Test.
The BBC had an article pointing out that a key difference was extras - England have conceded 60 more than Australia. They conceded 74 in the last test, that's a huge amount.

We have bowlers who keep overstepping and wicket keeper who can't keep up to the stumps, put those two things right and we're probably ahead of Australia. That's what makes it so frustrating.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Looking at the weather forecast, I think whoever wins the toss might prove decisive. The weather's great for the first two days, but it looks like a lot of play will be lost on Saturday and Monday, and whoever's batting at that point will have the worse of the conditions. There's also the issue that batting first tends to generate more victories. So I'll await until the outcome of the toss before plumping for a result

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looking at the weather forecast, I think whoever wins the toss might prove decisive. The weather's great for the first two days, but it looks like a lot of play will be lost on Saturday and Monday, and whoever's batting at that point will have the worse of the conditions. There's also the issue that batting first tends to generate more victories. So I'll await until the outcome of the toss before plumping for a result

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That's not Travis Head.
It's also not the same, since Labuschagne was batting outside his crease at the time rather than leaving his crease after the delivery under the impression the ball was dead.
I'd agree if Carey had held onto the ball rather than it being instant, almost one movement from the catch.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think Jessop's century in that match was fastest in England's history. Bairstow nearly made it last year. The most notable thing is the astonishing amount of overs bowled over three days.
Supposedly, although I am suspicious of the number of balls faced in thar innings, given it doesn't appear to have been recorded in the scorecard. I think I heard the number often quoted comes from a newspaper rather than the scorers.
It is vaguely interesting to compare the balls faced and minutes batted by players back then, to now. On a runs per minute basis even quite slow scoring innings were actually scored about as quickly as, say, Joe Root might play now.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
That's not Travis Head.
It's also not the same, since Labuschagne was batting outside his crease at the time rather than leaving his crease after the delivery under the impression the ball was dead.
I’ve noticed that the Australians are very good at coming up with a counter argument or example, and for them that’s enough. It doesn’t matter if the facts are different, or if the example is irrelevant or if they are at completeLy different levels of severity, for them one argument countered by another is enough. And it means they can ignore more relevant ones that overwhelmingly prove their guilt.

I’ve concluded that there therefore is no chance to have a sensible debate on it. They are so convinced they are right and just put everything into defending the indefensible. I experienced the same at the 2019 World Cup final when the Aussie in front of me was convinced very vocally that the ball that ricocheted off Stokes’ bat was worse that the whole sandpaper-gate and was deliberate cheating. And he was deadly serious And tried to ruin the moment for everyone around. The Kiwis around me were fine with it, by the way.

They are a different breed, and make up the rules as they go along, yet claim :‘it’s within the rules’ when it suits them. It’s a waste of breath and energy having a serious debate with them on such things. Talk to a Kiwi if you want to get a more balanced view from that corner of the globe!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

This is the one being shared

Looks the same really.

It’s really not. In one example you are trying to stump a batsman who is out of his crease in the act of playing a shot (in this instance he’s batting outside his crease). Or ‘normal cricket’ to put it another way. In the other, you are stumping a batsman who is in his crease, and has remarked his guard and clearly considered the ball dead (as has the umpire), and is wandering off for a chat with his mate. The level of whataboutery is Trump-esq.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Tomorrow on Day One I'm sitting in the middle of a group of Aussies wearing Aussie clobber on the Western Terrace.
What could possibly go wrong?
I’ve sat near those Aussies. The tours are not cheap and they get carted everywhere on their ‘organised’ tours. They are all of a certain age and stage and all look like they have sat in the sun drinking beer for far too many years than is good for their health. But they have to put up with Merv Hughes during their stay so I guess we can’t be too hard on them!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It’s really not. In one example you are trying to stump a batsman who is out of his crease in the act of playing a shot (in this instance he’s batting outside his crease). Or ‘normal cricket’ to put it another way. In the other, you are stumping a batsman who is in his crease, and has remarked his guard and clearly considered the ball dead (as has the umpire), and is wandering off for a chat with his mate. The level of whataboutery is Trump-esq.

Boris bollocks too.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Solly still gives us a shout, that's enough for me.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/3570750/march-england-can-still-fight-back-in-the-ashes

Sussex-Cricket-Training-Session-22AUG22-PH_0056.jpg

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you watch the Carey Bairstow stumping carefully you will see that at the point Carey releases the ball Bairstow is actually still in his ground. But in the moment the ball takes to travel to the stumps he has walked out of his ground. Dozy? Yes. Spirit of the game? Same as a Mankad IMHO.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Bairstow marks his ground at the same time, if not slightly after the ball has left Careys hand.

Just because he thought it was dead, doesn't mean it was dead, a quick glance would have seen the ball was already on its way to the stumps

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here