Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 3rd Test, Headingley, July 06-10, 2023

Your forecast for the 3rd Test

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn't know about this one

I'm comfortable with keepers stumping someone who has a foot lifted at the point it hits the gloves, but this one doesn't feel right.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
His innings at Old Trafford, for sure. Even more of a blast than Leeds. His last 113 coming off 90 odd balls- in contrast to his partner Tavare

If you've got 25 minutes it's worth a watch.

That’s a wonderful trip back to that era @BrightonLines, thank you. Just the sight of the old OT - the Warwick Road end, different camera angles and the simply brilliant Richie Benaud - never mind I T Botham esq.

Jimmy Grimble

I'm comfortable with keepers stumping someone who has a foot lifted at the point it hits the gloves, but this one doesn't feel right.

My gut instinct was that Bairstow would’ve done something similar to Carey if the roles were reversed. I still completely disagree with it but seeing that semi-confirms that Bairstow is also a bit of a snide.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

That’s a legitimate stumping and always has been. It’s one of the reasons wicket keepers stand up so close to the stumps. I’m struggling to find any comparison to what happened on Sunday. That’s a genuine opinion rather than one formed from being an England ‘fan.’ I used to be when I was a kid but haven’t really followed the game closely since the ‘80s. Ive had to google the rules of one day competitions and DRS appeals when occasionally watching. Frankly though even if Bairstow had done exactly the same as Carey on a previous occasion that wouldn’t change my mind that it was wrong.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Thats really not the same. Often a batsmen will momentarily lift their back foot as they reach forward and their weight / momentum shifts. This batsmen looks quite balanced so I’ve no idea why he would lift that foot for half a second, but he does, and it’s a completely legitimate (if slightly irregular) stumping.

The one on Monday, is fundamentally different, in that the batsman having left his crease playing his shot, then makes a point of returning to it - only then walking out once the play is over. Carey knew he’d done that, as did everybody else - it’s a shameful lack of sportsmanship and respect. It’s not pushing the spirit of the game at all - it’s wantonly laughing in its face.

tbh, it doesn’t feel right that it should have been recorded as a stumping at all. Put it down as a run out.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
That’s a legitimate stumping and always has been. It’s one of the reasons wicket keepers stand up so close to the stumps. I’m struggling to find any comparison to what happened on Sunday. That’s a genuine opinion rather than one formed from being an England ‘fan.’ I used to be when I was a kid but haven’t really followed the game closely since the ‘80s. Ive had to google the rules of one day competitions and DRS appeals when occasionally watching. Frankly though even if Bairstow had done exactly the same as Carey on a previous occasion that wouldn’t change my mind that it was wrong.
And interestingly if you watch it again the umpires actually refer it for a run out, not a stumping, so they clearly didn’t have a scooby what was happening either (maybe because they weren’t actually looking!).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Sorry if already posted.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thats really not the same. Often a batsmen will momentarily lift their back foot as they reach forward and their weight / momentum shifts. This batsmen looks quite balanced so I’ve no idea why he would lift that foot for half a second, but he does, and it’s a completely legitimate (if slightly irregular) stumping.

The one on Monday, is fundamentally different, in that the batsman having left his crease playing his shot, then makes a point of returning to it - only then walking out once the play is over. Carey knew he’d done that, as did everybody else - it’s a shameful lack of sportsmanship and respect. It’s not pushing the spirit of the game at all - it’s wantonly laughing in its face.

tbh, it doesn’t feel right that it should have been recorded as a stumping at all. Put it down as a run out.
On the stumping above. I do feel the law that states a dead ball is when it enters the keepers gloves is enough (provided both batsman are in their crease). It would have ruled out Sunday's incident. It's the additional law of when the umpire is happy that both sides consider the ball dead. I think there may be some issues from now on.

As regards the Bairstow stumping in 2014. I don't like it. Legitimate, yes, because Bairstow doesn't consider the ball dead (Prior did something similar in a Test) but I think the keepers gloves rule is enough. And I'll hide behind Whispering Death on that one. He did a great interview yesterday. If a back foot is raised when the ball enters the gloves then whip those bails off. That's fair.

Anyway, on to Thursday.

Can I lend my boos to someone going to Leeds ? Give them one from me. I love the pantomime of it all. Although maybe a 'he's behind you' may be appropriate too :ROFLMAO:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
F0N_b9QaEAAgmrt.jpeg

Is Ringo out or not ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You can bet your life an England bowler will be desperately looking for a ' Mankad ' dismissal without any type of warning to the non striker. And as we've established how the Aussies want to play this game I'll have no qualms about us ignoring the etiquette of giving a warning.
We’re better than that. If we did resort to such pettiness we’d just as well hand the little urn to the Aussies now and play golf.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Benefit of the doubt to the batsman, however it seems George has trodden on his own stumps and should be out Hit Wicket
I had George more in the Carey roll. Running out his mate Ringo.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
We’re better than that. If we did resort to such pettiness we’d just as well hand the little urn to the Aussies now and play golf.
Ordinarily I'd totally agree. But in this case trying to uphold the spirit of the game has got us nowhere.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
On the stumping above. I do feel the law that states a dead ball is when it enters the keepers gloves is enough (provided both batsman are in their crease). It would have ruled out Sunday's incident. It's the additional law of when the umpire is happy that both sides consider the ball dead. I think there may be some issues from now on.

As regards the Bairstow stumping in 2014. I don't like it. Legitimate, yes, because Bairstow doesn't consider the ball dead (Prior did something similar in a Test) but I think the keepers gloves rule is enough. And I'll hide behind Whispering Death on that one. He did a great interview yesterday. If a back foot is raised when the ball enters the gloves then whip those bails off. That's fair.

Anyway, on to Thursday.

Can I lend my boos to someone going to Leeds ? Give them one from me. I love the pantomime of it all. Although maybe a 'he's behind you' may be appropriate too :ROFLMAO:
I will happily oblige and boo for you on Friday - Sunday. I’m hoping it will be really lively.

The other interesting dynamic is that they often sit those Australian tour groups right in the middle of the western terrace. Last time I was there , the Aussies were complaining about everyone being on full strength beer all day and stuff being thrown around that, hopefully, was just beer and beer trays. It will be very interesting to see what it’s like for this test, it’s got the potential to me more than a bit feisty in the crowd too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here