Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] The Artificial Intelligence Thread

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Overheard a bunch of fellas at the bar in the Old Star Shoreham yesterday discussing the Swedish AI Breat Cancer study and thought a thread of positive developments might be of interest.

This is an interesting one as a taster. Doesn't solve the big problem with aviation fuel, but suggests that a significant impact is possible, with wider adoption of AI.

https://blog.google/technology/ai/ai-airlines-contrails-climate-change/

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Is there a good definition of AI? Only ask this as everything seems to be bandied about in my place as AI. To me, most of it seems to be a glorified search engine.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is there a good definition of AI? Only ask this as everything seems to be bandied about in my place as AI. To me, most of it seems to be a glorified search engine.

Not really - search engine just presents information to you. AI will / can actually do things for you

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Have you tried asking chatgpt for the answer?

There are lots of definitions. Are you looking for a legal definition a computer science definition, a laymans description or something else?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Me: "Is AI just a glorified search engine?"

ChatGPT:

"No, AI is not just a glorified search engine. While search engines like Google also use algorithms to provide relevant search results, AI refers to a broader range of technologies that enable machines to perform more complex tasks that would otherwise require human intervention.

AI is able to learn from the data it receives, adapt to new situations, and make decisions based on its analysis of the data. It can recognize patterns, make predictions, and identify anomalies with far greater speed and accuracy than humans. AI can be used to perform a wide range of tasks, from playing complex games to automating industrial processes.

While search engines are a useful example of AI in practice, they are just one small part of the wider field of AI. AI technology has the potential to revolutionize many industries, including healthcare, transportation, finance, and more."

Me: "Can you summarise that into a gangsta rap?"

ChatGPT:

Yo, listen up, I'm here to make it clear
AI is more than just a fancy search engine, dear
It's a tech that enables machines to learn and grow
And do complex tasks that humans find too slow

From recognizing speech to identifying patterns
AI can handle tasks that would leave us laggin'
It adapts to new situations with lightning speed
Making predictions and decisions with ease, no need to plead

So don't think AI is just a flash in the pan
It's a tech that's revolutionizing industries, man
From healthcare to finance, it's making its mark
So get with the program, before it's too dark

Me: "Can you argue the opposite of this?"

ChatGPT:

"Sure, I can provide an argument on the opposite side of this.

While AI has certainly come a long way in recent years and is capable of performing a variety of complex tasks, it is still not quite as advanced as some might make it out to be. AI systems can be limited by the amount and quality of data available to them, as well as by the algorithms used to process that data.

AI also lacks the creativity and critical thinking skills of humans, which can limit its ability to perform certain tasks. For example, while AI systems can perform complex calculations and recognize patterns, they may struggle with tasks that require human intuition, such as making moral judgments or understanding the context of a situation.

Furthermore, AI systems are not infallible and can make mistakes. These errors can have serious consequences in certain industries, such as healthcare or finance, and may lead to mistrust of AI systems.

Finally, some people argue that AI may lead to job loss, as machines are able to perform tasks that were previously done by humans. While AI has the potential to create new jobs, there is a risk that the displacement of workers could lead to economic hardship and social unrest.

Overall, while AI has certainly made impressive strides in recent years, it is not a panacea for all of our problems, and there are still limits to what it can do.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not really. AI used to be about hard AI, actual simulation of intelligence and conciousness, and soft AI, the application of low level learning and pattern recognition. these days AI is a catch all to cover these and the more mechanical repetitve Machine Learning, or Chatbots which are just decision trees.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m still 3 episodes behind on Love Island.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I listened to this Ezra Klein interview with Demis Hassibis, of DeepMind fame.

@HalfaSeatOn It touches on what AI is and explores its uses beyond chatbots.

Main breakthrough it mentions is the protein-folding problem solved by AlphaFold. https://www.livescience.com/alphafold-200-million-proteins

Thanks Bakero - Have listened to most of this. You could put together a strong case for Demis as the greatest living Brit. Answers and explains so many complex questions and ideas in a really straightforward way.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Thanks Bakero - Have listened to most of this. You could put together a strong case for Demis as the greatest living Brit. Answers and explains so many complex questions and ideas in a really straightforward way.

He's an impressive bloke, isn't it? On the pod he mentions working on Theme Park as a teenager. He was actually the co-designer and lead programmer of the game during his gap year that Cambridge recommend he take after he finished his a-levels at 15. My gap year before uni was spent rather more hedonistically.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Have you tried asking chatgpt for the answer?

There are lots of definitions. Are you looking for a legal definition a computer science definition, a laymans description or something else?
Not sure tbh, probably layman’s but not a salesman definition. It seems everything in digital is being thrown in to the trendy AI hat

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The podcast that Bakero linked does a brilliant job of pulling things together ina clear and simple way and they answer your question about is AI just a search engine right at the start.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
AI and the better ‘ChatGPT‘ tools that have yet to come to market are super game changers in all parts of our life.

My company has currently banned them - far too much of our IP would get out and we have a number of government contracts which have different levels of clearance requirement - so we are working with one of the big players in developing our own. There will be so many positives out of it like the breast cancer mentioned above, cure for dementi etc. the downside is the loss of white collared workers and a huge chunk of professionals jobs that will disappear. As a major technical organisation (75% of our 30,000 employees have degrees) we could see easily lose 25% of our jobs in next 5 years. Apply this across all market sectors, we end up with huge unemployment across the globe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here