Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus: destroying the English language, one heading at a time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"more easier"? When I grew up I was taught that the comparative/superlative form of "easy" would generally be "easier" ("more easy" would also be considered acceptable, although probably less common).

"more easier" is therefore redundant, just like the Argus proof-readers (we'll ignore the fact that the sentence doesn't even make sense).

When I read that headline it just sounded WRONG.

But perhaps I'm mistaken. Perhaps I grew up in more simpler times and the world has moved on. Maybe I even just wanted to show off my education and learning in a "my dad is more bigger than your dad" fashion.

No you are absolutely correct. It just didn't feature on my radar. Maybe I'm just used to reading much worse . . .

That said. when I was at school (in the science stream) my English teacher, so disgusted with my spelling, would write out all my foibles and then add 'Bunsen burner, test tube, litmus paper' etc at the end, to mock me. Mr Lawrence, you were a ******* :lolol:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Quite, and there's some fact somewhere that children in other countries learn to read and write their own language at a younger age, which means they can get onto foreign lanbguages earlier, and get better at them.

Meanwhile our kids have to learn that friend is spelt with an 'i', but none of its rhymes do, about the 4 or 5 ways of pronoucing the letters 'ough', words with silent 'b's and so on and so forth through reams of illogical spellings.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Quite, and there's some fact somewhere that children in other countries learn to read and write their own language at a younger age, which means they can get onto foreign lanbguages earlier, and get better at them.

Meanwhile our kids have to learn that friend is spelt with an 'i', but none of its rhymes do, about the 4 or 5 ways of pronoucing the letters 'ough', words with silent 'b's and so on and so forth through reams of illogical spellings.

It could be made more complicated; we could decide everything is either masculine or feminine!!!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Bl***y hell, I haven't seen you on here for ages! Welcome back.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Argus has gone so far downhill it is unrecognisable from the paper I grew up with.

Used to have geographical editions covering the county, and several editions a day. This was when most of the type-setting was still being done by hand.

Now the lazy over-paid twunks can't even be bothered to check spelling or grammar before pushing the PRINT button.

But then times change.

Back then we had the late, great John Vinicombe. Now we have Andy "Zamora will never return to BHAFC" Naylor.

I rest my case (and save my 65p)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
It's worse than that: I can think of at least six: bough, cough, thorough, thought, enough, dough,

Through
Hiccough (admittedly, most people just spell it hiccup these days)
and you could add the Irish way of spelling loch: lough

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Through
Hiccough (admittedly, most people just spell it hiccup these days)
and you could add the Irish way of spelling loch: lough

Through! I knew there was a seventh.

Isn't lough pronounced as cough? And I think hiccough is stretching it a bit

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Through! I knew there was a seventh.

Isn't lough pronounced as cough? And I think hiccough is stretching it a bit

Lough is pronounced precisely the same way as the Scottish "loch" as I understand it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here