Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The annual waiting for the upper tiers to open thread.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Around the 20k mark.

Really? That would be nice, but no upper tiers open, a scattering of 1901, and plenty of empty seats in the lower tiers, I’d be delighted, and surprised if we get much last 15k.

Club’s reaping what it sowed when they played the U23s and lower for the last cup game. There’s a reason why barely anyone goes to watch the U23s week in and week out, why would that change for an FA Cup game?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I just don't get this attitude. Lots of stats have shown teams that put out weakened teams still go on to lose their game. So gain nothing from this. We have a good enough sqaud to be able to put out 11 first team squad members. Could till be 11 changes,but it definitely doesn't need to be a massively weaker team.

100% this. Happy for a couple of U23s to be chucked in with less-used PL squad members. Should easily be enough to despatch the massive’s reserves. Same for R4 and maybe 5 against hopefully a lower league team, then start taking it seriously as we’ll be almost safe in the league. Simple !

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Are there significant staff and catering costs by opening ESU and WSU? With no guarantee of a hugely increased overall attendance, to pay for that cost.

Also the fact that there is a better atmosphere with packed lower tiers rather than big banks of empty seats eveywhere. And it also looks better on telly!

I really don't get the 'if I can't get my regular seat I'm not going!' mentality. See it as an opportunity to try out another part of the ground.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just looked. 350 left so 700 gone in last 24hrs. Pity this didnt happen week ago. Low key promotion of game by club and there policy doesnt help Not including transport. as is a pain buying PR/train and bus tickets before .People also put off by Villa experience.

One thing I don't understand with the club. Promotion of games like this is really poor - it's the same when the exchange goes live. No promotion of the fact whatsoever - or not that I've noticed anyway.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
One thing I don't understand with the club. Promotion of games like this is really poor - it's the same when the exchange goes live. No promotion of the fact whatsoever - or not that I've noticed anyway.

I always get an e.mail when season ticket exchange goes live. Not that I'm selling!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems to be a case of deja vu.

1. We know the club are never going to open up the upper tiers unless the lower tiers are pretty much sold out in good time.

2. The club never take the cups seriously in the first few rounds, as evidence by the villa game and pretty much every year for the past 7 or 8.

3, Repeat thread annually.

Club probably took it a bit too far in the Villa game but still don't expect to see many, if any, first team regulars tomorrow. We got lucky last year in the first few rounds (and the qtr final).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

1. We know the club are never going to open up the upper tiers unless the lower tiers are pretty much sold out in good time.

2. The club never take the cups seriously in the first few rounds, as evidence by the villa game and pretty much every year for the past 7 or 8.

Club probably took it a bit too far in the Villa game but still don't expect to see many, if any, first team regulars tomorrow. We got lucky last year in the first few rounds (and the qtr final).

Think we will see quite a few first team players tomorrow, FA Cup is very different from that other Cup no-one bothers with

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Really? That would be nice, but no upper tiers open, a scattering of 1901, and plenty of empty seats in the lower tiers, I’d be delighted, and surprised if we get much last 15k.

pretty much sold out all bar the south stand, were hundred seats remain. not sure what that is in capacity terms, will be interesting if there are any gaps.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's really not though. The upper tiers weren't initially open for the following:

18/19 v Derby (Rd 5)
18/19 v West Brom (Rd 4)
17/18 v Coventry (Rd 5)

...but they had to be subsequently opened due to demand.

The only time the club did open the upper tiers from the off was the Crystal Palace game (17/18 Rd 3) which was always going to have very poor demand and was the one game where opening the upper tiers was not warranted.

The club for its fingers burned due to their inability to tap into fan sentiment and have played conservatively ever since, unfortunately.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I really don’t see the issue with not having the upper tiers unless there’s demand - wayyy over hyped on here. Surely can’t be for the view as it’s not majorly different at the back of the lower tiers. Just buy tickets and support the lads - tomorrow is one I’m looking forward to.

It’s clearly due to costs of opening up whole stands - also I’d much rather see a packed lower bowl then scattered empty seats everywhere!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Not many left now, and they have now ramped the ticket prices up to £20 to punish anyone buying today. Savage times for the tens of thousands of fans waiting for the upper tiers to go on sale..

3f0d18691503e5a9b99786662b09e0b7.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not many left now, and they have now ramped the ticket prices up to £20 to punish anyone buying today. Savage times for the tens of thousands of fans waiting for the upper tiers to go on sale..

3f0d18691503e5a9b99786662b09e0b7.jpg

Probably been snapped up by desperate fans of the biggest club in the world. Watch out for Wednesday-ites where you sit good people. Normally given away by gritty, authentic Yorkshire accents and heads the size of beachballs.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Omg I forgot about the school kids up there, could be some trouble..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I think all the shelf tickets went on general sale so no big groups.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Well predicted those that thought an U18 team would be picked

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Looks like someone DID get a West Stand Upper ticket! [emoji15]

a15afb9687fc57c09d2bf782558b0584.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here