Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The AMEX

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My opinion, I am old school I'm afraid. I hate the tourist sterile happy clapping arenas that is modern football. Not twattish at all. I imagine a lot of people would agree with me!

Yes it is - its massively twattish. You said that 'middle class people are not real football fans'. That's twattish.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The Amex is much too friendly an experience for away teams and their fans.

How many times have we heard victorious managers say in their post-match interviews, after their teams have mugged us, that the Amex is an “absolutely fantastic place” to play football? The place seems to inspire the opposition to raise their game. The only time that we have seen fans at the Amex generate a raw, intimidating atmosphere was during the match against Southampton, in 2012, which we won 3-0.

Sadly, the club’s attempt to engender a more civilised, family-orientated match-day culture was always doomed to fail. What happened on the opening day of the season was not atypical: Albion fans applauding the announcement of the away fans’ attendance were met with 2,500 Sheffield Wednesday fans making the tiresome limp-wristed gesture and sundry other expressions of homophobia.

In addition to away fans’ customary lack of appreciation of their host’s hospitality, we have seen the away end at the Amex vandalised by fans of Leeds United, West Ham and Crystal Palace.

The time to go easier on the hospitality is long overdue.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My opinion, I am old school I'm afraid. I hate the tourist sterile happy clapping arenas that is modern football. Not twattish at all. I imagine a lot of people would agree with me!
It depends what you mean by "a lot". I should imagine fewer than 3,000 of the 25,000 regulars would agree with you, but then I suppose 3,000 is still a lot of people even if you are in a tiny minority.

And of course, if you really do hate "happy clapping arenas", well nobody is forcing you to go to the Amex are they? To be honest mate, I think you're guilty of not remembering the Goldstone reality. I always felt it needed 12-13,000 people to provide a good atmosphere, and I'd say that gate was reached maybe 20% of the time in the years I was a regular at the Goldstone, from 1983 to 1995.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
It depends what you mean by "a lot". I should imagine fewer than 3,000 of the 25,000 regulars would agree with you, but then I suppose 3,000 is still a lot of people even if you are in a tiny minority.

And of course, if you really do hate "happy clapping arenas", well nobody is forcing you to go to the Amex are they? To be honest mate, I think you're guilty of not remembering the Goldstone reality. I always felt it needed 12-13,000 people to provide a good atmosphere, and I'd say that gate was reached maybe 20% of the time in the years I was a regular at the Goldstone, from 1983 to 1995.

I remember the Goldstone very well.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Oh, I see. You're just a boring troll, here for the hilarity.

No worries - enjoy your day.

Maybe that last comment was a bit harsh. But come on. Football has changed, happy clappers, tourists, no real atmosphere, no real songs, thank god for away days.....

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The Amex is much too friendly an experience for away teams and their fans.

How many times have we heard victorious managers say in their post-match interviews, after their teams have mugged us, that the Amex is an “absolutely fantastic place” to play football? The place seems to inspire the opposition to raise their game. The only time that we have seen fans at the Amex generate a raw, intimidating atmosphere was during the match against Southampton, in 2012, which we won 3-0.

Sadly, the club’s attempt to engender a more civilised, family-orientated match-day culture was always doomed to fail. What happened on the opening day of the season was not atypical: Albion fans applauding the announcement of the away fans’ attendance were met with 2,500 Sheffield Wednesday fans making the tiresome limp-wristed gesture and sundry other expressions of homophobia.

In addition to away fans’ customary lack of appreciation of their host’s hospitality, we have seen the away end at the Amex vandalised by fans of Leeds United, West Ham and Crystal Palace.

The time to go easier on the hospitality is long overdue.

You are always going to get the gestures, chants and vandalism, but I would respectfully suggest that as ever this is only a minority. 2500 Sheff Wed most certainly did not make gestures. When the announcer talked about REMF two years ago at half time, I noticed that the majority of Palace fans were applauding, as were Albion supporters. Similarly, I think it was against Ipswich that season, when a soldier Albion fan, wounded in Afghanistan, was introduced to the crowd, and again, most of the away fans applauded. I know a policeman who has patrolled the away end and he regularly confirms that the incidents you mention, whilst very annoying, are not typical.
It is perfectly possible to combine a pleasant atmosphere with raucous support for the Albion -it is NOT one or the other. The Amex may inspire other teams, but we should therefore rise to the occasion, as we are the home team, but the home form has been so suspect ever since we have been at the Amex, that by and large it is hard to be totally inspired from the outset, the odd match excepted. Perhaps some statistician might give us the total wins, draws and losses ever since we left Withdean - I think it would go a long way to explaining why some of us, who bemoan the apparent lack of atmosphere, link it with the attempt to be good hosts as we try to find a reason, but there is no direct link. Of course, the fans should do their bit to get the team going, but the onus is also on the team as the well paid and trained professional entertainers to do their bit.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I think it would be a lot better to not encourage away fans. That way fans of other clubs can make places like Bournemouth their weekend away, whilst we can all enjoy paying more for tickets because they don't come.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

Not many people seem to be agreeing as yet, do they? I'd be curious to see what your "ideal" football ground and crowd would consist of. Actually, I'm not that bothered tbh.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Not many people seem to be agreeing as yet, do they? I'd be curious to see what your "ideal" football ground and crowd would consist of. Actually, I'm not that bothered tbh.

Why mention it then? If people actually believe football and the atmosphere at grounds is better now than in the 70's and 80's then I suggest you never went to football back then! Actually...I don't care what you think tbh!

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Maybe that last comment was a bit harsh. But come on. Football has changed, happy clappers, tourists, no real atmosphere, no real songs, thank god for away days.....

So you're saying - Middle class people don't travel away and should watch rugby instead??

I saw some poor working class people not singing or creating an atmosphere either.
Let's blame the educated well to do types anyway.

I thought we Brightonians were mostly tollerant people. :shrug:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
So you're saying - Middle class people don't travel away and should watch rugby instead??

I saw some poor working class people not singing or creating an atmosphere either.
Let's blame the educated well to do types anyway.

I thought we Brightonians were mostly tollerant people. :shrug:

That's because they are cringing at Tarquin and his jolly friends clapping the away support and munching on their cucumber sarnies....

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If people actually believe football and the atmosphere at grounds is better now than in the 70's and 80's then I suggest you never went to football back then!

I did. And I do remember some slightly dim yobs around the place from time to time. Most unsavoury. I mean, these people positively STANK.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I did. And I do remember some slightly dim yobs around the place from time to time. Most unsavoury. I mean, these people positively STANK.

Dim? because they have a different opinion to you! There must be a lot of DIM SMELLY people around then....

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
That's because they are cringing at Tarquin and his jolly friends clapping the away support and munching on their cucumber sarnies....

'Tarquin :lolol: and his jolly friends' have been doing that since day one of the Amex, and I'm sure I saw some cucumber sandwiches unwrapped at Withdean and the Goldstone! But I guess you only care now because the results on the pitch are not going our way?
If I was to use your logic I would tell you to stop moaning or eff off and watch pal•ce every week, their fans are really noisy and most are probably dole claiming scummers to boot. Not many Tarquins but plenty of Nigels!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here