Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex Today

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Also lucky to have been there today...... Great atmosphere, the stewards where I was were great (north stand corner by west stand) and beer never run out...... What a day! Was seated by a large Japanese contingent who all burst into tears at the end..... Brilliant.
There was a great TV shot of the stewards going mental when Japan scored the winning try in that corner - they seemed to have completely forgotten their jobs!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Absolutely faultless from start to finish. Sure the prices were a little more punchy but from arriving at ten to kick off until leaving half an hour after it was a delight.

Better staff - none that I'd seen for ALBION games, quicker service, less fuss and more action.

This coupled with ability to drink in my seat meant I wasn't fussed about queueing or downing drinks pre match and generally felt like I was being treated more like an actual adult.

This however was all completely overshadowed by what an amazing atmosphere it was. The acoustics were superb and when all four sides got going in support of Japan it was deafening.

Oh how I'd love every Amex experience to be the same!

e2a265f56d9912433a35f65e723bf517.jpg

So pleased for everyone who went, especially that they enjoyed everything that came with it. I've often expounded the virtues of the great game and how different it is. Not that I'm comparing football to rugby, the two run in different spheres of sport and entertainment. But I've always said that if folk gave rugby a chance they would open up a whole new avenue of sporting interest. I haven't even seen today's match, but I'm thanking the God of rugger for it. For someone who follows both games today has been perfect. Albion stayed unbeaten, at the top of the league, and the AMEX hosted the biggest upset in Rugby World Cup history. Amazing.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Comments from my pal that's here with me and went today:
It was an incredible day and what a game! The fact that you could bring your beer to the seat as someone else has already said made it so much more adult and more jovial in fact. There was a period apparently with the beer ran out however I didn't notice. The service was faster and quicker and slicker than anything I've seen in an Albion game why can't this happen when the Albion play? I wouldn't mind even paying a little more for my pint knowing that the service was going to be good and fast, I sometimes feel are we mugged off with bad service as Albion fans?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I was in the hospitality today absolutely superb from start to finish. Great service, good food, amazing atmosphere and sat with the Japanese wags ( which was nice) well done Japan but f.....g well done Brighton.

Last edited:

Everything about today was superb. From the match and the atmosphere inside and outside the ground, to the way that the city was full to the brim with fans throughout the day. Went down to the fanzone before and after the game as well, and will certainly be doing the same tomorrow and when I'm in Cardiff during the week! Urge anyone not going to tomorrows game to at least be in the city centre and embrace it before everything is packed up and moved on after this weekend.

Such a shame more games aren't being held here, because after today's showing we'd do it proud. Feel sorry for fans of the six teams who will be off to Milton Keynes at the start of next month. Still for the France team it'll be marginally better than Croydon.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Never thought I would say this as rugby is not normally my sport but today was by far the best match and atmosphere at the Amex since we opened the wonderful stadium

Was sitting next to some Saffers who were predicting a walkover before the game!!

The skill and bottle of the Japanese against a much bigger team in all senses was a great example of international sport at its very best.

Could not believe they did not take the penalty at the end to draw the match but had the balls to go for a win- full marks to them.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Never thought I would say this as rugby is not normally my sport but today was by far the best match and atmosphere at the Amex since we opened the wonderful stadium

Was sitting next to some Saffers who were predicting a walkover before the game!!

The skill and bottle of the Japanese against a much bigger team in all senses was a great example of international sport at its very best.

Could not believe they did not take the penalty at the end to draw the match but had the balls to go for a win- full marks to them.

Yes than Rotherham on Tuesday...but since it opened....Really??

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
The transformation was astounding, like an Amex in a parallel squeaky clean universe where you can drink beer in your seat, applaud your opponents scores and congratulate them on their unlikely win. Well weird. Though maybe not as weird as being, so far as I could see, the sole wearer of the stripes at the Amex in a 29,000+ crowd :ohmy:

And well played Japan on what the BBC are calling 'arguably the biggest upset in rugby union history'. Has to be said, with a couple of minutes to go, the game looked to have 29-29 written all over it.

I was wondering whether to wear the stripes tomorrow or not. Maybe I will.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just the best advertisement for the club and the city. The massive shock of the result means that the footage will be shown again and again around the (rugby loving parts of the) world. Great thinking on the part of all involved to bid for the fixtures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here