Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The AMEX pies

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That's all well and good claiming you've just put in 27 hours work over the last 2 days. But surely as a business person, you factored in that taking on this kind of contract will involve long hours, 9 months of the year from which you reap the benefits. Just simple business sense. I tried to buy a Steak and Ale pie at the SSCFinal during half time and was informed they had sold out. I thought you baked them on-site to overcome this ?? Ended up with the Chicken pie, which to be honest was fantastic. My fear is that standards will fall, where did the plastic packaging concept come from ?? they were supposed to be served in a box. Already I sense outward cost cuts. Unless I'm mistaken it sounds like you've taken the "all eggs in one basket approach, closed the shop and opened a production factory based on this contract". That approach leaves your business very, very exposed !!

As a word of advice, have a fall back plan, where any unsold/unbaked pies from each match can be sold the very next morning, as the shop has gone then at Sunday/Wednesday markets etc. Had to respond as I found your comment a little condescending re: the hours you put in, almost sounded as if you were telling us you were doing us a favour. Trust me at £3.50 for a pie, your'e not. Non of the above is a dig, just merely trying to help by painting the bigger picture, however I'm sure you have a contingency plan in place should the contract go elsewhere at any time. Trust me if the quality that was promised dips, you are going to find it hard to regain these customers.

Not sure if you'd read half the comments on here but I'm the 18 year old son of the owner which I hadn't a clue before how long these things take to make .Your first comment about selling out, it takes ages as shown by the hours to make these pies it would be impossible to make them during a game (Azure asked for 2000 pies which we said wasn't enough before hand but didn't take the advice). The plastic packaging is to do with Azure, we only make the product. The shop closed as people were coming in for lunches more than what was on offer from her side of the business. She is trying to concentrate on the outside catering more at the moment, which is fairly difficult as she needs to make sure that staff can make these pies consistantly before a manager can be left to make these pies

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
After all the hype i expected more than something which was on par with a Pukka Pie.

It sounds like you had one of the ones I had today ......if you had had one of the hand crimped, non soggy , herby crusted , non plastic bagged ones I had at the SSC game i imagine you may feel different...

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
It sounds like you had one of the ones I had today ......if you had had one of the hand crimped, non soggy , herby crusted , non plastic bagged ones I had at the SSC game i imagine you may feel different...

I had my first one, but not my first choice at the SSC Final. Wanted Steak and Ale (sold out) so opted for the chicken option. As previously stated I found it absolutely fantastic, however I sense the goal posts are moving in the production of these. I now know they're not made at the stadium but at your new production unit, but simply baked there. We were however originally told they were being made on-site at the ground.

If your contract is with Azure (they have a 5 year contract with Brighton) how long is your contract with Azure, this leaves you vulnerable if you haven't agreed a 5 year contract too with Azure. As I've said before we were promised a local product produced and presented in a certain way and even before the season has started the end product appears to be changing. Can you give me a cast iron guarantee if I show up at one of the kiosks pre-match or half time I can purchase the food of "my" choice, i.e. one of your pies in a box. Otherwise how can you justify £3.50 for a pie which looks like its going down the Pukka Pie route (£1.50). People have mentioned the contents were more soggy today and require a fork to eat it.

In summary Azure cater for many sporting events and have their own chosen suppliers, however I hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling that to win the Brighton contract they tabled local suppliers as part of their tender document and reading your comments are dictating how you should trade. We, the consumers were led to believe that the contract was awarded directly to Piglets through the press releases.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Did you really? 100 out of 2000 (or more)?

Before the game - no joy. Joined the WSU queue at around 2:15 I think and we were never going to be served before kick off so left it.

Halftime, when we finally reached the front, having queued from 3:30 there were no pies left. Not much else either.

I finally got one after the game and can report it as being excellent. If I am ever able to get to the front of a queue again, I shall buy another.
Oh for the good old days...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here