Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The AMEX pies

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I have to admit it - for a footy stadia pie my Steak and Ale was pretty damn good - most other grounds the pie's don't even resemble a Pie. At least these look and taste great. Good start......but just need to get the kiosk staff to turn the food around a bit quicker - damn slow service and that was with only 7000! That and the lack of anywhere to put you food or drink on was a nuisance, but I'm sure something our forward thinking club will no doubt address in due course. Well done to the Pie Man !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have to admit it - for a footy stadia pie my Steak and Ale was pretty damn good - most other grounds the pie's don't even resemble a Pie. At least these look and taste great. Good start......but just need to get the kiosk staff to turn the food around a bit quicker - damn slow service and that was with only 7000! That and the lack of anywhere to put you food or drink on was a nuisance, but I'm sure something our forward thinking club will no doubt address in due course. Well done to the Pie Man !

Would suggest that pies could be sold on much the same basis as programmes. Send sellers out with a big batch to wander around to sell to punters. When they sell the batch, come back and get another batch. Leave the kiosk for the selling of beer and people who want to faff about with tea and coffee.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Would suggest that pies could be sold on much the same basis as programmes. Send sellers out with a big batch to wander around to sell to punters. When they sell the batch, come back and get another batch. Leave the kiosk for the selling of beer and people who want to faff about with tea and coffee.

Good call. This seems to be an easy solution for both food and drink. One person with a hot box selling just pies, one person with a cool box selling just lager, or even better one of those packpacks with a dispenser. It would certainly take a lot of pressure of the kiosks.

Jul 7, 2003
I thought the Chicken & Ham was really good, held together well without the need for a fork (luckily as I dropped mine) and perfectly seasoned.

When you consider that Pieminister Pies are around £3.20 in Waitrose and you have to go back and cook them yourself, £3.50 for such a good quality pie that is ready to eat in a football ground is great value.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Had a vegetable Pie and very good it was too. Loved the pastry and decent enough filling. Had to wait till match had started though as long queues before.
My tea was not hot enough. Hope this is not a health and saftey thing- i.e. Water can not be server over a cetian temperature.

One complaint- not related to catering was the quality of music played. But guess a separate thread needed for that discussion.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
OK. Think we need a benchmarking exercise on the pie debate.

Those that went to Oldham this year commented on the excellence of their pies. The guest pie was spot on.

So.......for those that have sampled the Boundary Park and Amex delights this year, lets have an objective comparison.

We only asked for a balti pie to be added to the range!
A pedant writes ...

There can be NO SUCH THING as a "balti pie".

"Balti" food is named after the pot in which it is cooked. The origin of the word is to do with the Urdu and Hindi word balty - which means "bucket."

You can't cook a PIE in a BUCKET.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
A pedant writes ...

"Balti" food is named after the pot in which it is cooked. The origin of the word is to do with the Urdu and Hindi word balty - which means "bucket."

A bucket is just a very big pie case shirley?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
OK. Think we need a benchmarking exercise on the pie debate.

Those that went to Oldham this year commented on the excellence of their pies. The guest pie was spot on.

So.......for those that have sampled the Boundary Park and Amex delights this year, lets have an objective comparison.

I preferred the cheese and potato scotch pie I had at Boundary Park TBH.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A pedant writes ...

This is one theory. Another is that balti refers to food from the northern Pakistan region sporting the same name.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

On Friday, on my little recce, a man with a tape measure was sizing up one of the completely boarded up areas next to a kiosk...increasing supply options going forward to cope with pie demand...??

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Balti food was invented in Birmingham.

Having lived in Birmingham for three years, that's also what I've always thought.

On the subject of hot water and the tea that was cold, my coffee in the North was scalding - so don't think it's a health and safety thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Balti food was invented in Birmingham. In my experience of the city, it is always served in a pot, as opposed to on a dish or plate.

Which, as I say, is one theory.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Ordered 1 Steak and Ale ,1 Chicken & Ham and 1 Vegetable pie in North Stand Kiosk.At 1.55 only Steak and Ale left so ended up with 2 Steak and Ale pies and a Veggie burger.Pies were lovely and hot,no complaints at all.In the 2 boxes there was only a pepper sachet in one and no salt and nothing in the second one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had my first in-situ pie last night. Very nice indeed. Only criticism is that it could have done with a bit more seasoning in the filling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here