Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex atmosphere and maintaining it

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Kept flags from Monday night (and picked up another 6 left on floor) hopefully others have and will bring them to the opening game of next season at home (and away games) let's keep this going now, a wall of noise & colour to push the club one step closer next season #TOGETHER MORE THAN EVER :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Correct. Lets face it, Monday night was a one-off atmosphere, probably never to be repeated until towards the end of next February when we are at home against (hopefully) Sheffield Wednesday, we're 5-0 up and a win secures automatic promotion.

Corrected for accuracy.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
It's all about standing up vs sitting down. I can't believe the atmosphere on Monday would have been so good for so long had the stewards made the North Stand sit down.

What the best way to achieve it though? I'm sure the answer will be that the club can't just tell the stewards to leave us in a seated area... so does it have to be converted to safe standing? Again I thought the club had ruled that out - and having sold season tickets I imagine they could change it for 16/17 even if they wanted to?

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
This....!!!! After all the stuff that has been on here about SBTS over the past few years - including our campaign to the club for the words on the screen - this is final vindication.

It is incredible and I would love to hear the next few seconds of it. I suspect the GUTWTC v YMTTATWSOF melange will be a fraction disappointing (interesting to see which wins the day....?) but the overall effect is simply stunning.

If everyone knew it sounded like that then surely they would sing it out even louder and prouder. Around me in WSU it didn't feel like everyone was absolutely belting it out (and there is a video taken in WSU south end which seems to be mainly "der-der-de-der-der-der-der") so it could be even better...!!!

My personal choice will always be YMTTATWSOF. There is so much more of a historical connection and meaning with the original words

The club could help our gradual move toward lyric unity by pushing the point even more. The words on the big screen were excellent this year and has seen a huge improvement in the number of people singing the correct words.
Perhaps the lyrics should be published permanently in each home match day 'Seagull' and also on the club website with a request from the club that everybody learn the correct words and to sing our anthem loud, proud and in complete unity.

There has been a fantastic improvement singing 'Sussex by the Sea' this season. Lets make it even better in 2016/17.

Love this version:

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
3. Loud music before kick off DOES seem to work in terms of setting the tone while the stadium is still filling up. The fans can take over once the game starts and everyone is in place..

Seems as though those responsible for the pre game music have leanings to heavy rock. I'm not adverse to a bit of that but Monday night's fare was pretty awful. Once we got into the montages and tributes the atmosphere improved no end but having got there early as requested it was painful getting blown away by a stream of Karang type tunes

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's all about standing up vs sitting down. I can't believe the atmosphere on Monday would have been so good for so long had the stewards made the North Stand sit down.

And I can't believe the atmosphere on Monday had anything whatsoever to do with standing up vs sitting down. I mean, REALLY?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
My personal choice will always be YMTTATWSOF. There is so much more of a historical connection and meaning with the original words

The club could help our gradual move toward lyric unity by pushing the point even more. The words on the big screen were excellent this year and has seen a huge improvement in the number of people singing the correct words.
Perhaps the lyrics should be published permanently in each home match day 'Seagull' and also on the club website with a request from the club that everybody learn the correct words and to sing our anthem loud, proud and in complete unity.

There has been a fantastic improvement singing 'Sussex by the Sea' this season. Lets make it even better in 2016/17.

Love this version:

That's raised the hairs on the back of my neck and sent tingles all down my spine. Bloody marvelous, makes me feel so proud to be Sussex through and through.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think Monday proved that you don't need to be standing to create noise and atmosphere.
Monday was a playoff game, and the players were in amazing form.
Quite. it's got WAY more to do with all Albion fans in all parts of the ground doing their bit and contributing to the noise and atmosphere.
That's not going t happen week in week out when the game isn't so important.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I do not agree with the idea of a drum at all, it feels orchestrated and one of the most attractive things about football culture in the UK is the spontaneity of chants.

My issue has always been with our selection of chants, many will mention tradition and their relevance but I dispute them. Many just are not capable of being picked up on from around the stadium. That being "Brighton aces". Whilst is a great chant in its own right, the lyrics are lengthy and by the time it has generated enough noise to be picked up on one side of the stadium, by the time they have heard the chant they become out of sync with the other side. Alas, creating a poor atmosphere which is disjointed.

Albion is effective, one line and you can join in at any time. We also have our chants about palace such as "Hark now hear", a favourite of mine, but doesn't really generate an atmosphere unless we are playing palace.

What we really need is a set of chants, simple and effective that can be easily learnt and picked up on by the other side of the stadium, Will Griggs is on fire by Wigan is a prime example of this. The acoustics of the stadium are superb, Monday showed that, but we don't necessarily need coordination via a drum but a more rethink about our chants. There is an apparent lack of interest in creating anything particularly new on this board, unless it is about a player. However, about the team as a whole other problem.

Loathe them, Palace have a simple set of chants which are easily learnt, back the team and can generate noise, we cannot deny them that. Without having to copy their chants, it wouldn't do any harm to note how they have done it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I do not agree with the idea of a drum at all, it feels orchestrated and one of the most attractive things about football culture in the UK is the spontaneity of chants.

My issue has always been with our selection of chants, many will mention tradition and their relevance but I dispute them. Many just are not capable of being picked up on from around the stadium.
Agree that the best chants to focus on for home games - and for the chant starters to start most often - are the ones that most reliably get taken up from one part of a stand to the next and then into the other stands.

Which were the best for this on Monday?

Albion, Albion
We are Brighton
We all follow Bright'NoveAlbion
Clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-etc BRIGHTON!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agree that the best chants to focus on for home games - and for the chant starters to start most often - are the ones that most reliably get taken up from one part of a stand to the next and then into the other stands.

Albion, Albion
We are Brighton

You missed out the truly wondrous:

You're shitting your pants
Sheffield Wednesday

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Albion, Albion
We are Brighton

We are Brighton, is THE Albion chant, for me. Its PERFECT.

I'm just happy that we make a noise - not too precious about being original or clever. If the world loves the Will Grigg chant so much, just steal it - if it will make folk sing. 'Hem-ed's..' or 'Knock-aert's..' or 'Sol-ly's...'or 'Jiri's..' all scan perfectly. (It would all have been 100% true for Knockaert on Monday, too. He really WAS on fire, and they were bricking it)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Is that one unique to us? Not sure I've heard any other clubs use it. Personally think it is one of the best songs going recently. Its simple, few words and a tune everybody knows.
The tune has been used by many with various lyrics but I've not heard the tune in the Championship this year or ever heard "our" version of the lyrics.

So that does make it relatively unique to us and it should be one of our most used next year.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
And I can't believe the atmosphere on Monday had anything whatsoever to do with standing up vs sitting down. I mean, REALLY?

I'm honestly not sure if you're genuinely questioning me, or making a sarcastic reply because the standing/sitting point is so obvious.

Assuming you are being serious: Yes, really. It was the first time I've stood for 90 minutes at the Amex, and the consensus around me was "we have got to stand like this every game"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here