Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The AMEX and BML2

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not in my eyes neither I expect many eastbound travellers

The proposed extra platforms at Brighton would mean more trains available to head Eastwards.
I take onboard what you've said about the people not getting on the first train etc, I go the other way so wasn't really aware of the issue.
I'm sure this is a solvable problem though.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Without more platforms at Brighton would BML2 make much difference? Is there room for another one alongside the "East Coastway" side of the station if they borrowed some of the car park?

This - in fact BML2 would make things worse as there would be more FAST trains that wouldn't stop at Falmer, probably even reducing the current capacity.

Falmer is currently a bottleneck throttlelling the flow of people, add extra platforms and lengthen trains, and suddenly the bottleneck opening is hugely increased, and the effect of throttlelling is drastically reduced.

More SIMULTANEOUS positioning of trains at platforms, so there are more seats and carriages that can be SIMULTANEOUSLY loaded, means people can easily choose between the first (packed) train that's about to depart, or a less full train that may leave 3 minutes later. The extra train capacity arising from extra platforms means more seats to choose from, less need for standing, and shorter queues OUTSIDE the station platform area.

Imagine how quickly any mainline terminus would get congested if there were only two platforms - you can already see what the effect is by observing the crush onto the Victoria tube lines (2 platforms only) at London Victoria, during peak (rush) hours.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Correct. It's the stupidity of the staff who stop fans on the bridge while trains leave only part full.

They're not like buses which can leave when they feel like it.

A train which leaves late can have an effect on everything behind it and, if going through Lewes, for instance, anything coming in from London.

It's more important that the train leaves on time, meaning dozy people need to hurry up.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
They're not like buses which can leave when they feel like it.

A train which leaves late can have an effect on everything behind it and, if going through Lewes, for instance, anything coming in from London.

It's more important that the train leaves on time, meaning dozy people need to hurry up.

It's nothing to do with delays, and as you head in the other direction I've no idea why you contributed.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Actually it not really that, its the stupidity and selfishness of the fans - Those going to seaford will not board a Lewes only or Eastbourne trains and vice versa meaning the platform remains half full of fans so those waiting cannot get on the platform.

totally agree, there are surely enough barriers on the lead up to the station to shepherd fans into queues for Lewes,Seaford and Eastbourne. Then send forward the right number of fans onto the station for the next train coming.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
totally agree, there are surely enough barriers on the lead up to the station to shepherd fans into queues for Lewes,Seaford and Eastbourne. Then send forward the right number of fans onto the station for the next train coming.

I'm not sure filtering fans would work that well, fewer people would travel Seaford way so you would automatically get other people join the Seaford queue despite going elsewhere.

The answer is for the station staff to insist everybody on the platform gets on the first train that comes in, every train stops at Lewes so irrespective of where you are going you can change at Lewes. Its was quite clear after the Sheff Wed game that the Brighton queue was gone (despite probably having many more people travelling that way) when there was still a queue halfway up the ramp on the other side.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
The main problem with BML2 is what will happen at Uckfield.

Do you stop the tracks either side of the High Street and expect hundreds of people to get off one train, cross the road and get on a linking train or do you re-instate the level crossing and set Uckfield back about 20 years with traffice chaos every 45 minutes or so?

The track from Uckfield to Oxted is currently single line, with passing tracks very so often. Double track would need to be reinstated. There were severe delays on Monday with a problem at Hever where the one of the passing lines was out of action.

IMHO Uckfield will have a Spaceport before the railway is linked up with Lewes again.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Do you stop the tracks either side of the High Street and expect hundreds of people to get off one train, cross the road and get on a linking train or do you re-instate the level crossing and set Uckfield back about 20 years with traffice chaos every 45 minutes or so?

The track from Uckfield to Oxted is currently single line, with passing tracks very so often. Double track would need to be reinstated. There were severe delays on Monday with a problem at Hever where the one of the passing lines was out of action.

IMHO Uckfield will have a Spaceport before the railway is linked up with Lewes again.

Network Rail takes first step towards BML2

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Not true at all, traffic will go round the back of the old station, cross the railway (via a bridge) and end up at the Tesco roundabout.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I'm not sure filtering fans would work that well, fewer people would travel Seaford way so you would automatically get other people join the Seaford queue despite going elsewhere.

The answer is for the station staff to insist everybody on the platform gets on the first train that comes in, every train stops at Lewes so irrespective of where you are going you can change at Lewes. Its was quite clear after the Sheff Wed game that the Brighton queue was gone (despite probably having many more people travelling that way) when there was still a queue halfway up the ramp on the other side.

I agree. There needs to be someone with a loud hailer telling folk that they get on the first available train and change at Lewes. No waiting.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Lewis to Uckfield.

Hopefully it will it be stopping at Barcombe Mills and Isfield as well. :moo:

BINNEYS BOOTS

Aug 22, 2008
Hasn't Norman 'bellend' Baker said no chance of the line being built due to cost. I wonder what Falmer residents think about it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here