Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The all new Ashley Barnes thread

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Barnes is not a top of the table championship striker by any stretch of the imagination. He will not score many goals but he will give his all for the team and keep possession and pass decently. He struggles to beat a decent keeper with gilt edged chances.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I respectfully disagree. Particularly about AEA as Dunk's form the last few games has been great

Fine, all about opinions. I totally agree about Dunk's recent form - he has been a revelation! Looks like another great performance from him today (I'm watching the stream).

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Yup, whilst one swallow does not make a summer, Dunk has looked impressive and it's easy now.....win all of our remaining games and we're in the play-offs again. Simples!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yup, whilst one swallow does not make a summer, Dunk has looked impressive
Of course we love Adam, but Dunk has always had a lot more potential, and has looked better in the past. He had mistake against Palace, and then suffered the spite of that slag, and it's taken until now for him to get a decent chance again. I'd rather have him in defence than our trusty Adam.

Jan 10, 2014
What did the burnley fans think of him after his first start?

He was quite poor in the first half (like many others) but he had a good game in the second.

Worked his socks off, linked up play and showed some good touches.

He'll need time to get into the swing but overall it wasn't a disappointing performance.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I disagree with my fellow Burnley fan (8th East Lancs Battalion) that Austin is a better player than Ings.

Ings has a far superior all-round game and not surprisingly is on a 3-man shortlist to win Championship player of the year. We got £6-7 million for Rodriguez, but Ings is also better all-round than Jay and we will get nearer £10 million when Ingsy leaves in the summer.

Ironically, when Austin started games for Burnley they LOST quite a few more matches than they won. Far too one-dimensional with Charlie who is a predator, nothing more. He doesn't set up chances for others.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
And he will. Given chances, he will score. Despite what some on here will tell you, he is a good finisher.

He also plays with passion, and brings out the best in other players.

Given MANY chances, he MIGHT score. He is NOT a good finisher.

Agree with the last point - he does play with passion though, but personally I'd have preferred a higher goals to chances ratio.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
We dont miss him one bit. He isn't Championship class, just a workhorse.
Same with AEA. his limitations were exposed even more than Barnes which is why it was good business to get a fee for them both.
Neither had a future here. They are both steady lower league players.

Jan 10, 2014
I disagree with my fellow Burnley fan (8th East Lancs Battalion) that Austin is a better player than Ings.

If you read my post after that you will see that I explained that it was a tongue in cheek comment. It was said when Austin went that we would need to replace him with another goalscorer because Ings and Vokes wouldn't get enough goals.

Now Ings is injured folk are saying (not me though) that we need a top quality loan in because Barnes won't get enough goals. I just say that the strawberry blonde chap knows what he's doing, so certain Burnley fans can stop panicking.

You (Lancy) don't need to tell me that Ings is a better footballer than Austin.......... I have got two fully functioning eyes. :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It will be interesting to see what the OP says in 6 or7 games time and despite what many would like to think we havent missed Barnes at all since Ulloa came back as he wouldnt have played in preference and would have made just a few sub appearances, as he has for Burnley.

But he might have played on the left instead of Jesse, who was arguably signed due to our lack of firepower. All 'if's and but's', personally I think we've missed him for anyone of a number of things.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Got to love that clinical swipe at the ball and miss it altogether, just before they scored there second goal. Nice to see he hasn't lost his touch in front of goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here