Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion posts losses of £14.7m

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We didn't go up because of two moments of brilliant from Zaha, and that we had a slightly wrong mentality going into the home leg. Nothing more, nothing less. People do forget that apart from those 2 moments it was a very even game, we weren't exactly battered by any stretch of the imagination.

Glad you metioned this. Some posts on here would have you believe we were rolled over 5-0 in the play offs.

We hit the bar just before they scored and the difference between the sides was Zaha producing a world class performance.

Yes Poyet bottled the selection but ifs , buts and maybes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Glad you metioned this. Some posts on here would have you believe we were rolled over 5-0 in the play offs.

We hit the bar just before they scored and the difference between the sides was Zaha producing a world class performance.

Yes Poyet bottled the selection but ifs , buts and maybes.

Out of interest, what team changes would you have made?

Personally I would have played the Vicente card, but no idea how mental he was that day. Other than that it looked a strong team to me.

Zaha wasn't brilliant, Bridge went to sleep for the first goal, the second was well taken but not sensational.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Personally I would have played the Vicente card, but no idea how mental he was that day. Other than that it looked a strong team to me.

Zaha wasn't brilliant, Bridge went to sleep for the first goal, the second was well taken but not sensational.

It shows the value of using the loan system well... :(

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
One way to bring in revenue From BBC website.

Brazilian First Division club Gremio are to open their own chain of fast food restaurants in a bid to diversify and bring in cash to sign new players.

Albion Fried Chicken. I'm in the queue already.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's interesting that (a) Poyet received a massive increase in playing budget for the 2012/13 season (football costs increased from £14.8m to £20.9m - 41% increase; (b) we are led to believe that Oscar's budget this year is slightly higher. Yet, at the same time, we are on course to reduce the loss from £14.7m to less than £8m this year [which is great news, by the way].

Although I'm an accountant, I'm not quite sure how this financial turnaround is being achieved...but I imagine not paying Vicente, and getting good money for Barnes and Bridcutt, will be important contributors.

One thing is very clear, though - Poyet can't claim we lacked ambition with a 41% increase in football costs!

Too right. And he should NOT have constantly moaned about the budget.

Jan 10, 2014
[MENTION=28806]8th battalion East Lancs[/MENTION] - what has the fan's reaction been to your reduced wage bill? Lots of complaints about "lack of ambition"? Is there much discussion of FFP amongst the fan base?

On the whole it has gone down well because it's something that needs to happen. Obviously you have them who don't go on t'Turf, play computer management games and thought that at the final whistle of the 2009 play off final we had £90 million in the bank, and were set up forever and ever... who moan.

Burnley fans are experts when it comes to all things FFP (well we think we are) and nothing winds us up more than the continued spending of clubs who are posting massive losses (Blackburn for instance). I personally can't see how this FFP is going to be implemented properly.

We as a club are going in the right direction but we'll still have to continue growing our own and finding these lower league players who we can develop and sell on. It's nothing new for us though and has been going on for 50 plus years.

It does help when you have 6 board members who are lifelong supporters.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
To avoid a £10 fine a very severe telling off by no one.

Our club is banking on the penalties being far more severe than that. Here's hoping they're right. We'll see.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Our operational and administration costs seem very high and seem to restrict the wages we are able to offer IMHO.

Having this wonderful training complex is lovely but is going to cost a fortune in running costs. We seem to have top premiership/European facilities which is great but an average championship side on the pitch.

Premiership football seems to be the only viable way the club can survive long term with the operational costs we have saddled ourselves with, however how can you get there if you don't spend money on wages/transfers?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
To suggest that we are longer the club we were is a ridiculous rewriting of history.

During the last two decades we have been broke and homeless. We are significantly more than the club we were.

It was inevitable we would experience growing pains, review the situation and cut our cloth accordingly.

What surprises me is frankly how competitive we have remained this season with a half fit, misfiring team. Barely got into any stride all season. Solid but not fluid.

Of course clubs change regularly and we are no longer anywhere near the club we were as little as five years ago but last year we saw ourselves as rich enough to compete.... it seems the club knew better. So this season we adjust our expectations and if we do make the play offs brilliant.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Barnes or preferably Lua Lua should of started the game for me.

Bridge did go to sleep 1st goal but Zaha was the difference IMO.

He was a nightmare first half as couldnt get the ball off him and was driving them on. Without him I think we would of won or got to pens.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
70% of the clubs in the bottom half of the Premier League have had to change their manager this season.

So.....you have to pay for your overpriced season ticket.....even though virtually all your games will be on TV or streamed. You will almost certainly have to watch a different style of football, as your manager is despatched. Another huge wedge of your season ticket money spent on 'new' players for the 'new' manager...only to have them discarded 6 months later. The joy of watching matches on Sturday lunchtime, Sun day lunchtime, Sunday afternoon, Monday evening.......and as a very special treat......every so often, a game at 3 o clock on a Saturday.

All this....and of course the well worn football bollocks...."well, he (the new manager) needs a year to get the players to understand how he wants them to play".

Absolutely pathetic. I cannot think of anything worse than the Premier League.

100% (Apart from the overpriced ST in our case)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
On the whole it has gone down well because it's something that needs to happen. Obviously you have them who don't go on t'Turf, play computer management games and thought that at the final whistle of the 2009 play off final we had £90 million in the bank, and were set up forever and ever... who moan.

Burnley fans are experts when it comes to all things FFP (well we think we are) and nothing winds us up more than the continued spending of clubs who are posting massive losses (Blackburn for instance). I personally can't see how this FFP is going to be implemented properly.

We as a club are going in the right direction but we'll still have to continue growing our own and finding these lower league players who we can develop and sell on. It's nothing new for us though and has been going on for 50 plus years.

It does help when you have 6 board members who are lifelong supporters.
Burnley are a good example of how to do things properly. I hope they get promotion.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

In that Argus article after the game, Vicente said that he had an injury that prevented him from playing, so the Vicente card wasn't available to Gus. I'm of the view that as it was the last and most important game of the season, Vicente could have taken a risk and requested being in the 18. That he didn't, alongside his multiple injuries, might explain why he's one of the players in The Guardian's out-of-contract star 11.
I wouldn't describe Zaha's performance as world-class, but it was certainly very good.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Interesting, and surprising.

Agreed - even if work is ongoing around the stadium, you would expect those parts that are available for use to be depreciated. Perhaps they are looking at the stadium as constituting one single asset, with no significant components, but that cannot be true - eg the useful life of seats is very different to the useful life of the frame of the stadium. Depreciation of components is mandatory. The idea that the assets are still in the course of construction and are not capable of operating in the manner intended also appears to hold no water. Interested in what this accounting policy will say - assets are definitely in use. The auditors seem to be putting their necks on the line for this - but, I should wait for the accounts before making that judgement perhaps. Very odd accounting, very odd....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We were certainly told it was a mid-table budget - but as the figures come out - was it still mid-table ? I'd have said both Burnley and Palace had higher budgets - but apparently not.

Interesting isn't it? Poyet's claims that he had a (below) mid-table budget looking less and less likely to be true. He really is an ungrateful tw@t. 41% increase in playing budget and he still moans publicly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here