Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion posts losses of £14.7m

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not surprised personally.
Anyone with common sense would have put as much debt as possible onto last years accounts to assist the next set of figures as its them that count for FFP.

I'd be very surprised if much of this were simply bringing forward costs ... I might even think as much as possible has been deferred

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Do you know this for sure? For instance how much did we pay Gus off. I don't think that would have been cheap

He got nowt.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Cooey!

Pointless saying too much until I see the statutory accounts. Need to see how much of the costs are disallowable for FFP purposes, and also the extent to which costs are non-recurring in nature (such as redundancy). It does show why the club was so keen to dismiss Poyet and his team without having to fully pay up their contracts.

Thanks EP. << Waits with interest for your analysis of the statutory accounts >>

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
When do the statutory accounts come out? Time for the NSC accountants to show their value, cutting through the sorcery of the accounting policies and unlocking the small print in the provisioning. The devil is in the detail... :drool:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I thought he said we had reached the ceiling.

Remember, according to TB, the playing budget has been INCREASED by 6% for Oscar compared to what Gus had last year.

He was constantly bemoaning the lack of money, hence the rubbing the fingers gesture towards the directors box and his constant gripes about not getting a striker before Ulloa arrived.

Given these losses and how thorough Barber seems to be, I'm certain they wouldn't increase the playing budget if they didn't think it was affordable. Those new sponsorship deals Barber has been striking must be pretty lucrative

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I imagine that the new sponsorship deals Barber has struck with Amex and Heineken etc will be worth a fair bit

Would i be right in saying that when Barber joined in 2012, his sponsorship deals didnt start until this season, meaning income from them will count towards the current financial year ?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
A few things that concern me

1) with some of the highest ticket prices and attendances our championship revenues are extremely high
2) despite this our operational costs are 74% of our turnover
3) player salaries at this level are out of control

How much can the club realistically do about number 2 whilst number 3 shows no signs of reducing. Oh that leaves number 1 then........

Football is indeed a mess

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Would i be right in saying that when Barber joined in 2012, his sponsorship deals didnt start until this season, meaning income from them will count towards the current financial year ?

They won't show up until the 2013-14 season accounts, so a years time in other words

Cooey!

Pointless saying too much until I see the statutory accounts. Need to see how much of the costs are disallowable for FFP purposes, and also the extent to which costs are non-recurring in nature (such as redundancy). It does show why the club was so keen to dismiss Poyet and his team without having to fully pay up their contracts.

Was curious at having nothing from "Monitor" at Companies House so I've just looked and they're not available online there yet, either for Club or the Holding Company (haven't checked for CSC). I'm surprised the Albion has gone for the press release without the full accounts/returns being available?
There's going to be something like £4-5M of stadium depreciation in here?

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This news clearly been published now for yet another season ticket price hike. Not that I'm blaming the Club or whatever but simply to say that football is absolutely knackered at the top level and this kind of £"!$ makes me want to jack it all in and watch a sport thats not the plaything of billionaires.

What's the point of trying to compete when you can't even break even despite having a packed stadium every week charging the highest prices in the league.

Whilst I can afford it and will pay it, I'm sure even a jump of £10 a month will make it more difficult for themselves to justify and that's even die hard fans. I know my dad will struggle. Can see attendances dropping significantly next season.

Many very valid points in this post.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
As ridiculous as it sounds, in the bigger scheme of things I don't think it's that bad really. Selling Ulloa would probably wipe out half of that in one hit.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Good, so thats an extra few million off the losses.

I imagine that some of that money has been directly fed into the playing budget for this season if the 6% increase on 2012-13's is true. Whether we've used up the budget or not is another issue entirely obviously

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here