Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Albion 2013-14 financial results thread

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Didn't you build up the losses on your last set of accounts to help you meet FFP this year ?
Wasn't the losses permitted for these accounts £8 mill ?
El Pres ?

Good to see you taking an interest in our finances. Is that so you can add your take to the 20 pages dedicated to our finances on the BBS, where eaglejez and his mates analyses them. Tell me are they worried we make take the Palace business model route to the promised land?

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
Good to see you taking an interest in our finances. Is that so you can add your take to the 20 pages dedicated to our finances on the BBS, where eaglejez and his mates analyses them. Tell me are they worried we make take the Palace business model route to the promised land?

I'm interested since 1. I'm a boring financial nos guy 2. I'm a Palace fan so I have an interest in Brighton's nos especially since you lot do go on about your massive wealth a bit :smile:

ok - ignoring any partisanship on either side (and yes, we would be running up losses if we hadn't gone up just like all the other Championship clubs) here's an easy summary I posted on the BBS that makes your nos easier to read and understand

FiqqUK4.png

I'm guessing the usual suspects will go on about our 10 administrations, St Johns Ambulance etc but in case there are those that can see passed that and are interested in some facts here's my take

1. The good news is that the admin & operational costs have come down 4m. The key question is that how much further these can be cut. If you look at the accounts there's a suggestion that big strides have been made to be more efficient and to make hard cost cutting decisions - all good but the big question worth asking your FD is what are these made up of and is there much scope to cut these further aka this is a 12m overhead you are carrying.

2. The other good news is that the Ulloa money is in YE15 so assuming a small written down value before sale (don't know what you bought him for an when) then there should be up to 8m flowing straight into the bottom line for next year

3. That all said (and like all clubs in the Championship) its a fine line on player wages and ticket income. Given your crowds I'm guessing there's not much scope to increase ticket revenue so the Commercial income must be a big area that the club will need to focus on (apart from player trading)

4. Just like all the accounts of football clubs I see they prove football is screwed financially :down:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm interested since 1. I'm a boring financial nos guy 2. I'm a Palace fan so I have an interest in Brighton's nos especially since you lot do go on about your massive wealth a bit :smile:

ok - ignoring any partisanship on either side (and yes, we would be running up losses if we hadn't gone up just like all the other Championship clubs) here's an easy summary I posted on the BBS that makes your nos easier to read and understand

FiqqUK4.png

I'm guessing the usual suspects will go on about our 10 administrations, St Johns Ambulance etc but in case there are those that can see passed that and are interested in some facts here's my take

1. The good news is that the admin & operational costs have come down 4m. The key question is that how much further these can be cut. If you look at the accounts there's a suggestion that big strides have been made to be more efficient and to make hard cost cutting decisions - all good but the big question worth asking your FD is what are these made up of and is there much scope to cut these further aka this is a 12m overhead you are carrying.

2. The other good news is that the Ulloa money is in YE15 so assuming a small written down value before sale (don't know what you bought him for an when) then there should be up to 8m flowing straight into the bottom line for next year

3. That all said (and like all clubs in the Championship) its a fine line on player wages and ticket income. Given your crowds I'm guessing there's not much scope to increase ticket revenue so the Commercial income must be a big area that the club will need to focus on (apart from player trading)

4. Just like all the accounts of football clubs I see they prove football is screwed financially :down:

It's the absurd wages paid to journeyman pro's which screw most teams, until players wages become more realistic 99% of clubs will continue to run at a loss no matter how much money is generated elsewhere

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
funny old buisness football
essentially tony bloom is being mugged off even more than us
by mercenary young men fulfilling their childhood dreams

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
So if I'm correct the loses would have been the same if you hadn't sold bridcutt and Buckley ? Or am I being simplistic

eaglejez

Apr 23, 2004
So if I'm correct the loses would have been the same if you hadn't sold bridcutt and Buckley ? Or am I being simplistic

Well. Not really since they are depreciating the Amex now (and the training complex from next season).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Nope, I've done a full spreadsheet analysis and will be sticking an article up in the next day or two.

Recurring losses, ignoring the one off gains/losses from player sales, are down by about £2 million, if you take into consideration the increase in depreciation, then realistically it is a £4 million saving that has been achieved, which is quite impressive.

Total losses in this division are in the region of of £200 million, which is madness.

On a separate note, those querying the decrease in catering income, it's down to a move from the Albion being in charge of sales totally, to a commission basis. So in 2013 the figures include 100% of catering revenue, and in 2014 it's about 30-40% of the total (depending on the level of commission).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here