Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "Albion 2012 financial results" thread

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Ticketing revenue for 2012 season up to £7.9m?!!

Am I missing something here? If this was for league games only then with an av 20k home hate the average ticket price would work out at £17.00ish!!

I would have thought that ticket revenue should be up around £16m!

Or am I being thick!

Don't forget a large number of those tickets will be concessions

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The operating costs are massive with a brand new state of the art stadium in comparison to a council owned athletics stadium. Gas and electricity prices even for big business users went up substantially in that period. On the transportation side the club must have made mega losses on providing "free" travel for 98% not buying travel vouchers in our first season at Falmer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Some additional context.

In the season 2010/11 the average wage bill at Championship level was close to the £17m mark.

That season West Ham United's Championship wage bill was a mammoth £42m. Elsewhere, Leicester City spent £28m, Reading £27m, Birmingham City £25m, Cardiff City £21m, Hull City £19m, Bristol City £19m, Leeds United £18m, Nottingham Forest £17m and Burnley £17m.

Wow - you wouldn't want to be a Bristol City fan at the moment - admin beckons surely ?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Ticketing revenue for 2012 season up to £7.9m?!!

Am I missing something here? If this was for league games only then with an av 20k home hate the average ticket price would work out at £17.00ish!!

I would have thought that ticket revenue should be up around £16m!

Or am I being thick!

I assume that the total revenue includes the percentage we pay to visiting clubs? It would be a deduction somewhere else in the accounts and would not influence the total ticketing revenue recognised?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I assume that the total revenue includes the percentage we pay to visiting clubs? It would be a deduction somewhere else in the accounts and would not influence the total ticketing revenue recognised?

Nothing is given to visiting clubs, those rules were abolished in 1992!

Ah just remembering the good ol days when I was a lad. (Actually was not aware this had changed - thanks for the enlightenment).
There's still a share of the takings that goes to visiting clubs in cup games, though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The only time a visiting club takes part of the revenue after expenses is for a FA Cup fixture. They get 45%. Some previous posters queried the overall income from match tickets but forgot about the FA Cup games where the FA takes 10% and the visiting club 45%.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I suspect that these were the figures that instigated a few significant changes by TB to bring us back on track for the 5 year plan, so i think they could be described as 'disappointing'.

Given the amount of changes over the last couple of years, we really won't know the full ongoing situation for another couple of years (but I suspect TB knows EXACTLY, and given his track record, i wouldn't be too concerned).

The only time a visiting club takes part of the revenue after expenses is for a FA Cup fixture. They get 45%. Some previous posters queried the overall income from match tickets but forgot about the FA Cup games where the FA takes 10% and the visiting club 45%.
At least we can bask in the glow of writing a cheque to Arsenal for a couple of hundred grand earlier this year.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Next years figures will make interesting reading. Plenty of extra revenue but how much will expenses/wages increase?

How long is a piece of string ? We won't know anything for sure until 12 months time.

Kieron at The Swiss Ramble has almost cornered the market on the money stuff, made a real success of that blog combining passion for football and expertise in finance. It's not always a light read, but it's not supposed to be. There's arguably too much 'light' elsewhere, you need people who can get tucked into the numbers as we know only too well.

Even though he is an Arsenal fan, the family were in Sussex for much of his life and a Goldstone paying punter in his day. Even when we were in League Two. Met up with him in Switzerland when Zamora played there for the Under-21s, Christ that seems a long time ago.

His "Albion" article is here The Swiss Ramble: Brighton and Hove Albion and was written in August 2010. Worth a read and it is amazing to think how much has happened since in a relatively short time scale.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Its 45% of the income after all expenses are paid not of gate receipts I think you will find.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Remember.....whoever or whatever you are ,in any situation ,any business at any time cannot and will not keep on losing money.....Regardless !!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here