The Alan Navarro role?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
How would you describe the role that Navs plays? What do you think he is asked to do by Gus pre-match. Im not having a go at him before the die hard Navarro fans start having a pop at me. I just think its hard to define his role in the team. He's not a box to box midfielder, hes not a holding midfielder who wins the ball and is in there to stop the other team playing and he certainly isnt an attacking midfielder or playmaker.

For what its worth I think he has had some outstanding games (Ipswich inparticular where he was pinging around 40 yard balls left right and centre) However, more often than not he is ineffective and never seems to be subbed or dropped when he does have a stinker. He's obviously one of those players who does exactly what Gus asks of him and I think thats why he plays so much.

Thoughts?

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I think he's there as a link man just to pass the ball between the defence and the attackers. He does this well, however I would prefer someone who can do this as well as display some additional qualities in defending and attacking ie. Razak.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
I think he's there as a link man just to pass the ball between the defence and the attackers. He does this well, however I would prefer someone who can do this as well as display some additional qualities in defending and attacking ie. Razak.

This is exactly what I think and cant understand why Razak doesnt play where Navs does more often?

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Navarro is someone with an excellent footballing brain,he can read a game superbly and is in the right position at the right time.He's always instructing players around him where to be and move and that's why he gets picked over other players.
Navarro's downfall is his pace and strength which he lacks,which is a shame because he'd be playing a higher level otherwise,this is why Gus plays him because of his knowledge of the game and for what it's worth i think he's been one of our most consistent players this year.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
He does a lot of pointing,perhaps Gus likes that.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
He's a league one player ... does a job .. thats all really

Agreed! And that's giving him the benefit !
Always in reverse and never looks to play a forward ball.
Awful player IMO

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He's the second defensive midfielder in our 4-2-3-1 formation.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
He breaks up play and protects the back four.and is bloody good at it,,and he is a better passer than Bridcutt.

But only if they are slow enough for him to catch, or silly enough to get too close. He is too slow for this league, we should call it a day at the end of this season.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He breaks up play and protects the back four.and is bloody good at it,,and he is a better passer than Bridcutt.
The problem is we don't need two defensive midfielders,this is why we create little as we have no service through the middle.How many people need to defend in a match?we sit to deep because we don't have the right midfielders,we need two dominant creative midfielders who can create chances and take control of the midfield.

Navarro is a league 1 player at best regardless of what people say.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The problem is we don't need two defensive midfielders,this is why we create little as we have no service through the middle.How many people need to defend in a match?we sit to deep because we don't have the right midfielders,we need two dominant creative midfielders who can create chances and take control of the midfielders.

Navarro is a league 1 player at best regardless of what people say.

You 100% right,we dont need two of them.Bridcutt should be dropped for Razak.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Yeah maybe briddy needs a rest:)

Is that said in jest?....I like Bridcutt, but im not as crazy about him as some on here. Good defensive cm, but he adds nothing going forward. Very poor mans Ray Wilkins, not that he is in the same league as "Butch"......Nothing against Bridcutt at all, but we have a squad and it's time he was rested, in place of someone who can do the same job and is a bit more attack minded and can actually pass a ball forward and not backwards and sideways at a snails pace......Razak.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I really like Bridcutt, but it's a been a while since he put in one of those mercurial performances where he looked a class above and you just watched in awe. Isn't he also close to a suspension?

Maybe instead of Bridcutt/Navarro - drop Navarro back a bit and play Dicker?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I really like Bridcutt, but it's a been a while since he put in one of those mercurial performances where he looked a class above and you just watched in awe. Isn't he also close to a suspension?

Maybe instead of Bridcutt/Navarro - drop Navarro back a bit and play Dicker?

Has Navarro put in a performance where you watched in awe?

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Bridcutt is in a different league to Navarro. He wins 10 times as many tackles in a game and works alot harder. Bridcutt is one of our few players who I think could play in the prem, easy. Navarro often slows play down when the ball gets to him, always plays the simple 5 yard sideways ball and doesnt tackle hard or as often enough as someone in the supposed 'holding midfield' role should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports