The Adam Clayton saga - now officially signed for Middlesbrough

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You are changing the topic though. Your original comment stated that you get what you pay for. The Albion paid the 10th and 8th highest wage bill, which, based on your comments that we are in a high house price area, should probably be two or three places lower to take into account buying power. However, on the pitch we finished 4th (under Poyet) and 6th (under Garcia). So therefore do you agree that we overachieved in those two seasons?

I don't understand why you can't answer a simple question.

Our finishing position the last two season has been a success, yes I agree. But the football has been boring, do you agree with that??? And we were by far the worst team in the play offs last season, we didn't deserve to make it, but we did and the squad is worse now....Do you agree with that???

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
We've been incredibly embarrassing this window, and I really wonder what the club airheads will be thinking when we're in the bottom 6 on deadline day.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Of course there's a link, we pay top dollar, we have had millions in transfer fees, released six 1st team wage packets at end of last season and we have bought 4 players in. We are at least 6 light....We are being mugged off, we are going to end up signing 4 on dead line day, which means no one else really wants them. And we are just picking up the dregs.
doomed.jpg

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You are changing the topic though. Your original comment stated that you get what you pay for. The Albion paid the 10th and 8th highest wage bill, which, based on your comments that we are in a high house price area, should probably be two or three places lower to take into account buying power. However, on the pitch we finished 4th (under Poyet) and 6th (under Garcia). So therefore do you agree that we overachieved in those two seasons?

I don't understand why you can't answer a simple question.

My answer would be that we overachieved.

However, so what?

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
We've been incredibly embarrassing this window, and I really wonder what the club airheads will be thinking when we're in the bottom 6 on deadline day.

Embarrassing?? We flogged a player for £8MILLION? Definitely not embarrassing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Embarrassing?? We flogged a player for £8MILLION? Definitely not embarrassing.

Player sales = great.

Player purchases = very, very poor.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Player sales = great.

Player purchases = very, very poor.

I wouldn't say very, very poor. Not brilliant, but Toko may turn out to be a gem and those two chelsea lads could be breaking through into the first team within 12 months ala Ince.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Stockdale looks good, Hughes is experienced, and Toko is an unknown quality.

I like the look of all 4 of our signings this summer TBF. However, we needed 4 more quality signings MINIMUM, and well before now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I like the look of all 4 of our signings this summer TBF. However, we needed 4 more quality signings MINIMUM, and well before now.

I agree with you that we need four players, but I'd rather get some decent ones than risk another Obika

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with you that we need four players, but I'd rather get some decent ones than risk another Obika

Well, can't disagree with your Obika comment. That's why I said 4 QUALITY signings, which obviously rules that standard of player out!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well, can't disagree with your Obika comment. That's why I said 4 QUALITY signings, which obviously rules that standard of player out!

Yup, biggest problem is that players are holding most of the aces at present, and can leverage higher wages through playing clubs off against each other, as we have found out with the likes of Conway, Grabban and (so it would appear) Clayton.

Can't blame TB for sticking to his guns to a degree, it's his money at the end of the day far more than ours.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yup, biggest problem is that players are holding most of the aces at present, and can leverage higher wages through playing clubs off against each other, as we have found out with the likes of Conway, Grabban and (so it would appear) Clayton.

Can't blame TB for sticking to his guns to a degree, it's his money at the end of the day far more than ours.

Yes, but as I've said before, I genuinely believe our club needs to review its whole player recruitment strategy - that means budgets (transfer fees, wage structure, etc.), timelines, staff involved (DB and his team), etc. etc. How many deals must we fail to get over the line before Tony says enough is enough? Personally, I think this window (so far), and the one before, have been shocking as far as player acquisition is concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports