The £36m i360 set to go ahead

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Load of crap. Can you seriously imagine people saying "let's go to Brighton, they have a cracking OBSERVATION TOWER". Can't see it enhancing tourism enough to payback the cost of it. As for the residents, some will go once and never again- meanwhile we're crying out for decent leisure facilities that people will use again and again.

Sake

I think it sort of worked for Portsmouth - regeneration of the area around the tower too

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think it's great news. Next I think we need about a dozen skyscrapers full of flats to bring house prices down a little.

A dozen skyscrapers full of flats will have the opposite effect and encourage Londoners to push prices up even more.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
People seem to confuse Pompey with Portsmouth. Anyone who thinks the view from Hove seafront can be in anyway compared to the view from the Spinnaker in Old Portsmouth does not really know what they are talking about.

Whether the i360 will work as they wish I have no idea.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fine. Give up on it then. Nothing can ever ever be certain of success. Dump it with every other good idea there's ever been to rejuvenate Brighton. Sake. Let's just let the whole lot rot - if you weren't a footbal fan I guarantee you'd have opposed the Amex as there was never any certainty it would attract enough people.

But you're mixing up private venture ( the Amex ) with public funded venture ( i360 ). I would have indeed objected to the Amex if the council were funding / tax payer guarantee.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You must despise clubs like Hull City, Manchester City, Doncaster Rovers and Swansea City and all their ambitions.

That London Olympics was outrageous too.

Good grief :facepalm: I know in your simplistic world the taxpayer should pay for everything but real life just isn't like that.

It's in the past but why should the private businesses known as Hull City etc get taxpayers money to assist their private businesses ? We might as well fund any private business that brings publicity to a city / town. Let's give Noble taxpayers money to assist them in running the Palace Pier - or NCP to help fund their private car parks. After all they both assist with bringing in tourists. When or if Swansea make a profit will they share those profits with the council ? Of course not.

Council Tax payers money should be used for essential services only - not vanity projects like the i360. If private enterprise can't fund and run it then sure as hell the council ( of any colour ) will make a complete failure of it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The worst scenario is if Marks Barfield get their figures wrong and go bankrupt, we are liable as guarantors to pay the loan plus interest.

Many people feel that the 800k projected footfall is a bit of a stretch, but it would be good to know what the minimum footfall is to breakeven.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Good grief :facepalm: I know in your simplistic world the taxpayer should pay for everything but real life just isn't like that.

It's in the past but why should the private businesses known as Hull City etc get taxpayers money to assist their private businesses ? We might as well fund any private business that brings publicity to a city / town. Let's give Noble taxpayers money to assist them in running the Palace Pier - or NCP to help fund their private car parks. After all they both assist with bringing in tourists. When or if Swansea make a profit will they share those profits with the council ? Of course not.

Council Tax payers money should be used for essential services only - not vanity projects like the i360. If private enterprise can't fund and run it then sure as hell the council ( of any colour ) will make a complete failure of it.

It's quite painful to observe someone so ingrained with dogma and an inherent lack of imagination, consideration and dynamism, only ever believing that the private sector always knows best.

You've had it explained to you several times by several people and it still hasn't gone in. Sad for you, Ian.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It's quite painful to observe someone so ingrained with dogma and an inherent lack of imagination, consideration and dynamism, only ever believing that the private sector always knows best.

You've had it explained to you several times by several people and it still hasn't gone in. Sad for you, Ian.

Firstly Alan, very few council enterprises that would normally be carried out in the private sector have been a success. Councils across the country are known for their ability to f*ck things up and cost taxpayers ( rather than shareholders ) money.

Now if you really believe the risk of taxpayers being lumbered with a £36m + interest debt is in the best interests of people the council tax supports ( the elderly, the vulnerable and the young ) then I'm sad your morals are so low.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I believe the total cost is £36m. £18m developer. £14m council loan funded by the Govt and £2m Public funding. This project is not taking ANY money from the existing council tax pot.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Firstly Alan, very few council enterprises that would normally be carried out in the private sector have been a success. Councils across the country are known for their ability to f*ck things up and cost taxpayers ( rather than shareholders ) money.

Now if you really believe the risk of taxpayers being lumbered with a £36m + interest debt is in the best interests of people the council tax supports ( the elderly, the vulnerable and the young ) then I'm sad your morals are so low.

I thought the "painful to observe someone so ingrained with dogma and an inherent lack of imagination, consideration and dynamism" bit was just a little insulting :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I believe the total cost is £36m. £18m developer. £14m council loan funded by the Govt and £2m Public funding. This project is not taking ANY money from the existing council tax pot.

It doesn't CURRENTLY come from the council tax pot. It will if the developer / project goes bust.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I thought the "painful to observe someone so ingrained with dogma and an inherent lack of imagination, consideration and dynamism" bit was just a little insulting :lolol:

Indeed but TLO posts tend to be patronising, arrogant and insulting when people disagree with him. It must be his radio presenter ego :wink:

You might have missed that he presents a radio show - he very rarely mentions it !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

So your entire mantra is if private enterprise isn't interested, nothing happens?

Excellent way to run the city.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed. Location, location, location.

Portsmouth council got this one right. It's become a tourist magnet and regenerated the whole area - impressive experience with spectacular views, don't know if they ever got the external lift working. Hope it works out for Brighton but I just cannot see the i360 having the same impact unfortunately.

Pompey built Gunwharf Quays retail outlet at the base of the Spinnaker Tower (which in itself is an attractive shape) with lots of food outlets overlooking the harbour. It's very relaxing sitting outside Tiger Tiger with a glass of wine watching the ferries, boats & yachts going back & forth.
There is a variety of good shops there too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports