Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The £36m i360 set to go ahead

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Snap. Voted Tory but won't be at the next elections. In fact ever now. It's horrendous and inhumane what this conservative and Ian Duncan Smith are doing with the welfare reforms act,I know it was introduced by Labour in 97 or 98(can't remember) but the cruelty shown is totally disgusting. The benefit system needed addressing think we all know that but not how the Tories are going about it.

Massive mistake along with the bedroom tax will put an end to Cameron next year and for many after.

I was actually talking about the local elections.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Agree completely about the need for better leisure facilities.

But I think you might underestimate the number of people who will visit the new tower. Portsmouth's Spinnaker Tower had more than 600,000 visitors in its first year - although I don't know how that has been sustained or otherwise since.

And yet the council are basing their figures for the i360 at 800,000 a year - utterly, utterly daft.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The West Pier Trust are firmly behind the idea mostly,it would seem, because it draws attention away from their inability to look after their own white elephant.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Portsmouth's Spinnaker Tower had more than 600,000 visitors in its first year - although I don't know how that has been sustained or otherwise since.

2005 - 680k
2010 - 288k

Not sure about the years inbetween or since

Oct 25, 2003
Agree completely about the need for better leisure facilities.

But I think you might underestimate the number of people who will visit the new tower. Portsmouth's Spinnaker Tower had more than 600,000 visitors in its first year - although I don't know how that has been sustained or otherwise since.

Im sure it'll be reasonably successful in the first year. The main problem is that people are unlikely to visit it more than once. For a council investment I'd expect more sustainable projects.

An indoor arena with leisure facilities serves the locals with improved facilities AND attracts tourism through conferances, concerts, indoor sports etc.

It takes the absolute piss that Crawley and Burgess Hill have better leisure facilities than Brighton.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Bring it on. Love a tower and it definitely attracts tourists. It's about bloody time things got built in this city - im sick and tired of every good idea either being shot down in flames by nimbys or the wretched Regency Society or running out of money. Its amazing we ever got the Amex built and now look at how popular it is and how much it brings go the city. Let's have the marina redevelopment, the Black Rock ice rink, an Olympic sized K2 like development at King Alfred, a modern conference centre extending into Churchill Square etc

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Bring it on. Love a tower and it definitely attracts tourists. It's about bloody time things got built in this city - im sick and tired of every good idea either being shot down in flames by nimbys or the wretched Regency Society or running out of money. Its amazing we ever got the Amex built and now look at how popular it is and how much it brings go the city. Let's have the marina redevelopment, the Black Rock ice rink, an Olympic sized K2 like development at King Alfred, a modern conference centre extending into Churchill Square etc

You go mate! Agree with all of that. And let's give the Volks Railway to a really switched on enthusiast group who'll love and cherish it and get it extended along the entire seafront.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Load of crap. Can you seriously imagine people saying "let's go to Brighton, they have a cracking OBSERVATION TOWER". Can't see it enhancing tourism enough to payback the cost of it. As for the residents, some will go once and never again- meanwhile we're crying out for decent leisure facilities that people will use again and again.

Sake

The funding for the loan comes from a government fund designed specifically to back commercial projects not public ones such as a redeveloped King Alfred. The loan does not come from council taxpayers money yet council taxpayers could end up benefitting if the project is a success. That part of the seafront has definitely deteriorated in the 17years that I have lived her, and the i-360 could potentially kick start a revival. The rationale behind supporting the increase of visitors is not only to revive Preston St (a shadow of it's former self) but also to allow the opening of more businesses in the arches on that part of the seafront.

Obviously success is not guaranteed but the potential upside to this project is very high.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Im sure it'll be reasonably successful in the first year. The main problem is that people are unlikely to visit it more than once. For a council investment I'd expect more sustainable projects.

An indoor arena with leisure facilities serves the locals with improved facilities AND attracts tourism through conferances, concerts, indoor sports etc.

It takes the absolute piss that Crawley and Burgess Hill have better leisure facilities than Brighton.

I would ruddy love an ice rink.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

But all of the stuff you listed would have long term benefits all year, catering for both tourists and locals. It all makes sense.

I just don't see the i360 having that effect

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I could not agree more. In fact the success of the few things that have managed to get built such as the Jubilee Library and surrounding area, the regeneration of the Level etc show just what good can happen when we do get projects off the ground here.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Load of crap. Can you seriously imagine people saying "let's go to Brighton, they have a cracking OBSERVATION TOWER". Can't see it enhancing tourism enough to payback the cost of it. As for the residents, some will go once and never again- meanwhile we're crying out for decent leisure facilities that people will use again and again.

Sake

Totally agree about decent leisure facilities. Brighton is too big not to have something like Guildford's Spectrum which has swimming, bowling, and an ice rink and is busy all year round - regardless of the weather. The facilities are all well maintained too which means people keep going back. I often see Brighton and Hove coaches parked there. I bet The Spectrum generates more tourism than the i360 ever will. The ice rink is home to The Flames hockey team and gets used by the public when they aren't playing.

Loads of free parking too which is amazing considering Guildford Borough Council love their 80p for 30 minutes parking charges.

All Brighton needs is a council with the will to provide Brighton and Hove with decent facilities.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And yet the council are basing their figures for the i360 at 800,000 a year - utterly, utterly daft.

Difficult to tell. Would have thought Brighton already has more tourists than Portsmouth so potentially more people likely to visit the i360.

Not sure it will attract people on its own to the city - but those who are already visiting will probably go on it.

I think it is also encouraging to businesses that the council shows it is willing to invest in projects like this.

Also, I don't believe it is a simple choice between funding the i360 or new leisure facilities. I think the potential funding comes from different ring-fenced pots.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
But all of the stuff you listed would have long term benefits all year, catering for both tourists and locals. It all makes sense.

I just don't see the i360 having that effect

No guarantees of course but I'm lucky enough to have been up towers like CN tower, the Burj Khalifa, Tokyo Skytree, Eiffel Tower and many more and they are always busy. The Shard is also great. Whilst I agree the views and the structure itself won't be in the same league as those, it can't do any harm and may even attract investment needed to rebuild the West Pier. Worth the risk.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Bearing in mind these projects take B&HC years to push through, I hope this one isn't there next 20 years covered. Far more important things this City needs, more leisure centers, ice rink, regeneration Brighton center area etc.

If it was one of a few, fine but as it won't be and its way down the list. Things for actual residents would be nice rather than view out to sea and Brighton rooftops for Londoners!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You go mate! Agree with all of that. And let's give the Volks Railway to a really switched on enthusiast group who'll love and cherish it and get it extended along the entire seafront.
Yep, sounds great-Volks should be one the THE great uk tourist attractions and with a bit of tlc and an extension it could be. Plus of course a zip wire and waterslide from the amex to the station.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Spinaker Tower has a lot going for it over the i360 promises. It is in the heart of an historic part of Portsmouth with more interesting views than Regency Square and The Metropole/Grand. There is a massive outlet shopping village right next to it too. Somewhere halfway up to grab a coffee/tea while looking out over the harbour.

Brighton needs something new, that's for sure. Don't know if the i360 fits the bill.

The Spinaker looks good too.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It appears the i360 will be funded by money from central government. Getting multi-million pound investment in area of the city which needs it has to be a positive thing, doesn't it?

Not a direct choice between building this or getting much-needed leisure facilities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here