Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2022-23 players retained/released thread

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I rate him quite highly, always seems to be exciting when he’s involved with the 21s, but still regularly plays with the 18s, so I would like him to be given a contract and gradually introduced to be full time with the 21s. I think there are some flaws to his game, but they can ironed out.

He didn't play with the U-18s once in 2022-23. :shrug:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
He didn't play with the U-18s once in 2022-23. :shrug:
Interesting, well someone told me at the training ground he does, that gives me a very different impression of him. He seems to be in and out of the team all the time, I enquired as to why, and that’s what someone told me. Someone might have told me this last season as well, a lot of the 21s game mould into one.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Interesting, well someone told me at the training ground he does, that gives me a very different impression of him. He seems to be in and out of the team all the time, I enquired as to why, and that’s what someone told me. Someone might have told me this last season as well, a lot of the 21s game mould into one.

He did play for the U-18s in 2021-22 when he first joined the club on loan (in January 2022), but in 2022-23 (after he signed permanently in June 2022) he was too old for them.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
He did play for the U-18s in 2021-22 when he first joined the club on loan (in January 2022), but in 2022-23 (after he signed permanently in June 2022) he was too old for them.
Could have been then, never seems to have consistent game time.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
To the best of my knowledge, the following youngsters (other than those whose release we already know about) have a contract which expires at the end of this season. Of course, it is always possible that extensions were signed that weren't publicised, or there are options which the club may (or may not) exercise:-

Benicio Baker-Boaitey
Samy Chouchane
James Furlong
Jack Hinchy
Teddy Jenks
Marc Leonard
Tom McGill
Todd Miller
Sam Packham
Fynn Talley (GK)
Lorent Tolaj
Antef Tsoungui
Jensen Weir

In addition, I am not sure of the contract durations for Killian Cahill, Billie Clark, Leigh Kavanagh and Casey Shann, so it is possible that any or all of these are also out of contract this summer.

Hopefully we will get some definitive news from the club this week.
That list makes McGill look like an outfielder....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Antef Tsoungui has now announced his departure from the club on social media. He made one appearance for the first team, starting in the Carabao Cup victory at Cardiff City in August 2021.

That is now Toby Bull, Matt Everitt, Ben Wilson, Haydon Roberts, Jack Spong and Antef Tsoungui who have announced they have been released by the club.
Wasn’t Roberts the one linked a bit with Leeds? Could’ve been agents nonsense but if any truth they may go in for him? Unless he’s signed for Derby already..?

Edit - Reports suggest he’s going Brizzle C.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Wasn’t Roberts the one linked a bit with Leeds? Could’ve been agents nonsense but if any truth they may go in for him? Unless he’s signed for Derby already..?

Edit - Reports suggest he’s going Brizzle C.

Yes, in early October 2020 Andy Naylor tweeted that Albion had rejected two six-figure bids for Roberts from Leeds during that transfer window.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
June 9 and STILL no sign of a retained/released list article from the Albion.

Have they forgotten?
Has everyone in the media department buggered off on holiday?

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
June 9 and STILL no sign of a retained/released list article from the Albion.

Have they forgotten?
Has everyone in the media department buggered off on holiday?

Bored Cabin Fever GIF
It certainly seems like the day after the Villa game everyone just disappeared, is there a deadline for the retained list?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It certainly seems like the day after the Villa game everyone just disappeared, is there a deadline for the retained list?
Not sure if there is a deadline but the Premier League website normally has the retained list for every club in one long list once it's available. Last season that was released on 10th June, season before on the 4th of June. So I'm guessing we will be finding out very soon (and the dates coincide with being just before the transfer window officially opens).

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
June 14th....

Fixtures for U-21s completed 40 days ago....

Summer transfer window open....

Fixtures for new season released tomorrow....

And STILL no announcement from the club on the out-of-contract players from "last" season?

:shrug:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
One of our young keepers heading to oxford apparently

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Is the club obligated to announce a retained list?

Not sure why they wouldn't but maybe they don't want to.

Well, they don't really HAVE to make an announcement, but I see no reason why they wouldn't.

My only thought is that they have been waiting to announce the "completed a permanent move to X on undisclosed terms" for Tsoungui and Roberts before announcing the rest, but even that seems a bit daft (Bristol City have announced Roberts as a free transfer so I don't know why Albion can't follow suit).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Who? Loan, released?
That’s all I know . Good source . If I was a betting man - McGill on loan now he’s got a new deal.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
To the best of my knowledge, the following youngsters (other than those whose release we already know about) have a contract which expires at the end of this season. Of course, it is always possible that extensions were signed that weren't publicised, or there are options which the club may (or may not) exercise:-

Benicio Baker-Boaitey
Samy Chouchane
James Furlong
Jack Hinchy
Teddy Jenks
Marc Leonard
Tom McGill
Todd Miller
Sam Packham
Fynn Talley (GK)
Lorent Tolaj
Antef Tsoungui
Jensen Weir

In addition, I am not sure of the contract durations for Killian Cahill, Billie Clark, Leigh Kavanagh and Casey Shann, so it is possible that any or all of these are also out of contract this summer.

Hopefully we will get some definitive news from the club this week.

Still no word directly from Albion, but the Premier League has finally published the retained & released lists.

Other than those players already identified in this thread, the following players have been released:-

Billie Clark
Teddy Jenks
Todd Miller
Sam Packham
Casey Shann
Fynn Talley
Lorent Tolaj

Players offered new contracts:-

Benicio Baker-Boaitey
Leigh Kavanagh

Players extended (which I believe essentially means an option has been taken up):-
Killian Cahill
Samy Chouchane
James Furlong
Jack Hinchy
Marc Leonard
Ed Turns

As previously stated in this thread, Jensen Weir is under contract for 2023-24 (at least).

Not a good day for the Jenks household as scholar Eliot was not offered a professional contract.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Still no word directly from Albion, but the Premier League has finally published the retained & released lists.

Other than those players already identified in this thread, the following players have been released:-

Billie Clark
Teddy Jenks
Todd Miller
Sam Packham
Casey Shann
Fynn Talley
Lorent Tolaj

Players offered new contracts:-

Benicio Baker-Boaitey
Leigh Kavanagh

Players extended (which I believe essentially means an option has been taken up):-
Killian Cahill
Samy Chouchane
James Furlong
Jack Hinchy
Marc Leonard
Ed Turns

As previously stated in this thread, Jensen Weir is under contract for 2023-24 (at least).

Not a good day for the Jenks household as scholar Eliot was not offered a professional contract.

No surprises from that list.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
A few “what could have been”s in there. Shows how hard it is to predict how youth prospects will develop.

Jenks, Roberts and Tsoungui were at one point being hyped for the top but unfortunately it’s not to be with us.

Meanwhile Turns and Furlong were much more under the radar to begin with and now their work seems to be paying off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here