Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2021-22 Scholars and U-18 Matches Thread

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure about that. The Manchester United story seems to be very much orientated to the 'Big Club Little Club' trope - can't see why we would keep him out of the team out of ... what ... spite? - surely better to play him, enhance his reputation and secure a higher level of compensation.
From the lad's point of view, I would think it would be better to stay with us, get a breakthrough a la Ben White and quadruple his wages with a big money move. But maybe United are just throwing money at him and his agent. That very often works ................................

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Man Utd have signed Toby Collyer from us apparently.

Manchester United have a put deal in place to sign Brighton's teenage midfielder Toby Collyer.
The 18-year-old defensive midfielder has captained England at U16 and U17 level but had failed to agree terms on a deal at Brighton, where he played 25 games for their U18s and U23s last season.
The teenager had enjoyed a successful trial period with United appearing in a friendly game for the club's U23s against Huddersfield Town last month and suitably impressed the coaching staff.
Collyer, who also had interest from Chelsea, has agreed a three and half year contract ahead of formally signing for United.
This season Collyer has played just once for Brighton, featuring for the U18s against Leicester in August.
Although he is mainly a midfielder, Collyer filled in at centre-back on a couple of occasions for Brighton U18s last season.
Collyer made his debut for Brighton U23s against Tottenham in January 2021 shortly after turning 17.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10581993/Manchester-United-agree-deal-sign-Brighton-starlet-Toby-Collyer-following-trial.html

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Not sure about that. The Manchester United story seems to be very much orientated to the 'Big Club Little Club' trope - can't see why we would keep him out of the team out of ... what ... spite? - surely better to play him, enhance his reputation and secure a higher level of compensation.
From the lad's point of view, I would think it would be better to stay with us, get a breakthrough a la Ben White and quadruple his wages with a big money move. But maybe United are just throwing money at him and his agent. That very often works ................................

To be fair Man united have a pretty decent record of bringing through and playing young players. That doesn't exclude the part money might have played but I don't think it's a crazy decision. Other than the obvious fact that you'd have to be crazy to turn your back on the Albion.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On an even more worrying level I haven’t seen any AZGull posts recently - hope all ok. I accept this could be my lack of attention of course.

AmexRuislip had the same thought a couple of weeks or so ago. He contacted him - he's OK, but taking a break from NSC for a while. Hope he comes back soon.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
AmexRuislip had the same thought a couple of weeks or so ago. He contacted him - he's OK, but taking a break from NSC for a while. Hope he comes back soon.

Thanks GT - was a bit worried he was on gardening leave with DA. As he is so knowledgeable about our academy/youth set-up I was hoping he could reassure us ordinary fans that the world is not crumbling(we know it is in another ways of course!)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Was he a local Sussex lad ? Why has he gone ? Money. Lack of recognition,games etc Anybody know
I looked this up the other day - Worthing apparently. A big shame but it is possible some of the local kids see the shift towards paying big money for youngsters or shipping them in from abroad, pushing them further down the pecking order, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I looked this up the other day - Worthing apparently. A big shame but it is possible some of the local kids see the shift towards paying big money for youngsters or shipping them in from abroad, pushing them further down the pecking order, maybe.

Or alternatively, one of the biggest clubs in world football (with a currently mediocre midfield) has made him a large offer and he backs his talent to succeed there?

Aug 18, 2013
Or alternatively, one of the biggest clubs in world football (with a currently mediocre midfield) has made him a large offer and he backs his talent to succeed there?
Well yes - i realise i should have quoted the posts above about why other youngsters have turned down deals too.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Due to the Brexit rules meaning English clubs can’t sign foreign youngsters until they’re 18 now there will be more of this sort going on with bigger clubs poaching smaller clubs’ youngsters.

Aug 18, 2013
Due to the Brexit rules meaning English clubs can’t sign foreign youngsters until they’re 18 now there will be more of this sort going on with bigger clubs poaching smaller clubs’ youngsters.
Good call. Hadn't considered that. What a pain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here