Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2019 semi-final starting XI

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apart from Lewis Dunk, which players from 2019 would make your starting XI in 2023?

1 Mathew Ryan

22 Martin Montoya
4 Shane Duffy
5 Lewis Dunk (C)
30 Bernardo

6 Dale Stephens
24 Davy Propper
8 Yves Bissouma
11 Anthony Knockaert
16 Alireza Jahanbakhsh

17 Glenn Murray
Bissouma and a Murray at his peak would be in with a shout, but by no means certain starters. No-one else.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'd take 2019 Muzza over 2023 Welbeck.

2019 Ryan was very decent. (Form went down after that). May even be starting.

Bissouma hadn't yet flourished so bench

2019 Propper a squad player now

Knocky and RDZ sounds like a combustible brew to me, so guess he'd sadly not be there. Sadly Duffy as well.

But yeh I think Stephens, Ali J and the full backs nowhere

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would love to have seen Knockaert being managed by RDZ. Someone to really unlock his talent at PL level.

I think he'd be around the squad in this scenario.
I can’t see RDZ and Knocky lasting 5 minutes together personally

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
2018/19 Glenn Murray got 15 goals in a team that didn't create a huge amount of chances. Surprised so many wouldn't have him getting in today's side.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
From the starting line up Bissouma possibly. People forget how good he was but I'm not sure he's an RDZ player. RDZ needs the creativity of Gross somewhere in the middle and Caicedo is the best there is at being that central first receiver pivot. I'm not sure where Biss would have fitted into yesterday's side, even with Gross deployed at right back.

But, as others have said, Gross and March were also in that squad but injured. RDZ is obviously using Gross, March and Dunk regularly, Biss would at least be on the bench, if not starting for the above reason and Bernardo would be on the bench as Pervis cover and Murray on the bench or starting. So, from the full 2019 squad, while the current one is a shit ton better, we'd still take in at least five or six from back then.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From the starting line up Bissouma possibly. People forget how good he was but I'm not sure he's an RDZ player. RDZ needs the creativity of Gross somewhere in the middle and Caicedo is the best there is at being that central first receiver pivot. I'm not sure where Biss would have fitted into yesterday's side, even with Gross deployed at right back.

But, as others have said, Gross and March were also in that squad but injured. RDZ is obviously using Gross, March and Dunk regularly, Biss would at least be on the bench, if not starting for the above reason and Bernardo would be on the bench as Pervis cover and Murray on the bench or starting. So, from the full 2019 squad, while the current one is a shit ton better, we'd still take in at least five or six from back then.
And Jason!

A few people could probably have predicted Gross/March/Dunk getting into the team four years later but anyone taking a punt on Steele being a starter would be rich now. Especially given Sunderland Til I Die was recently released at that point.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Dunk and Bissouma and that's it. Actually makes you realise what a poor squad CH actually had to manage with and how fantastically we have recruited since. We are light years ahead of that team now.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
None of them. Bissouma close but wouldn’t edge out Mac Allister or Caicedo.

Was Gross injured?
Who would've thought back then that just a few years later we'd have sold Biss and be able to say that we're in a position to say that actually now Biss wouldn't even make the starting 11.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Dunkie and Glenn that's about it...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Who would've thought back then that just a few years later we'd have sold Biss and be able to say that we're in a position to say that actually now Biss wouldn't even make the starting 11.
It's all ifs and buts but if we'd not sold Biss and Potter was still in charge then Biss would be a first team regular alongside Caicedo this season. It's conjecture what RDZ would make of him - my personal opinion is that he'd be hard to fit in as a starter in our current system and style of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here