Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 2015/16 Slump (those of a nervous disposition look away now)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I remember we ran out of wingers. Our inspired start was all about the guys out wide, Lua Lua and then March scoring great goals and putting the ball on Hemed's head. They both got injured, Rosenior also missed this entire period, Van La Parra came for a bit but his last game was Ipswich I think and then Knockaert first played at Rotherham, Skalak a bit later. The only regular fit guy at this time was Murphy

This season with March coming back and KLL not getting a look in we're certainly much much stronger in depth out wide. Only place I really worry is right back and reckon we need to sign someone there.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We're currently only 5 points clear of Reading in 3rd, and although many (including me) think they'll falter, you never know. We must do well in the next month and then see where we stand. Our current lack of injuries, and stronger squad should make a massive difference.

Over the next 4 games to the end of December, I "hope" we can extend that lead over Reading. They have 3 matches against top 10 sides, we have 1.

BHA: Blackburn A, Brum A, QPR H, Cardiff H
Reading: Leeds A, Blackburn A, Norwich H, Fulham H

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Over the next 4 games to the end of December, I "hope" we can extend that lead over Reading. They have 3 matches against top 10 sides, we have 1.

BHA: Blackburn A, Brum A, QPR H, Cardiff H
Reading: Leeds A, Blackburn A, Norwich H, Fulham H

8 points would be fine. No panic if the next two away fixtures are draws as I think we'll get maximum points from QPR & Cardiff.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I remember we ran out of wingers. Our inspired start was all about the guys out wide.
More significantly, we ran out of left backs, but hush! Don't get that one started again!

This season with March coming back and KLL not getting a look in we're certainly much much stronger in depth out wide. Only place I really worry is right back and reckon we need to sign someone there.
Rob Hunt, if Rosenior is still not fit. We can't go on ignoring youngsters from the academy who want to try to make the step up to the first team forever.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
8 points would be fine. No panic if the next two away fixtures are draws as I think we'll get maximum points from QPR & Cardiff.
Very true.

However, if we won both aways it could really put the boot in to the challenge of a few teams.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Very true.

However, if we won both aways it could really put the boot in to the challenge of a few teams.

And has been mentioned, I feel that IF we can open that gap (a bit like any actual race) the pack behind will start to focus and worry about each other rather than us...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The last couple of serious promotion attempts (under Oscar and last year) got derailed by running out of players through injury at times. I think the squad is much stronger this time round.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, we've played another game. I know the 'round' isn't complete without tonight's games, but what the hell.

So, last season after 21 games:

2015-16 21 games table.png

Whereas this season:

2016-17 21 games table.png

The performance difference was last season we drew game 21, whereas we won it this time.

Attachments

• 2016-17 21 games table.png
    2016-17 21 games table.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 351

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just like the fact that we have more points in 21 games this season than we did after 26 last season when we finished third.

There is a long way to go of course, but we couldn't really have asked for better than this.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Keep the Faith guys, we're get through Christmas with 9 points and enter Jan with a new striker, left back and all will be good in the Albion hood, 4 points clear of 2nd and 11 points clear of 3rd by the end of Jan '17.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
2 points better off than last season, but it's being 8 points clear of 3rd this season after 21 games, rather than 2 points that screams out to me.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
2 points better off than last season, but it's being 8 points clear of 3rd this season after 21 games, rather than 2 points that screams out to me.

Yes, but Burnley, who won the whole thing were 8 points back with an inferior GD at this stage last season, so it's possible. Having said that I do like the gap :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, but Burnley, who won the whole thing were 8 points back with an inferior GD at this stage last season, so it's possible. Having said that I do like the gap :)

But they were ahead of us just five games (26) later. This season, we already have more points after 21 than we did after 26 last time round. :)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But they were ahead of us just five games (26) later. This season, we already have more points after 21 than we did after 26 last time round. :)

If we can keep up the momentum into January, it will be very interesting to see how the comparison look after 26 games. I agree that the single most important factor is the gap to 3rd.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Updated 14/12 (before Newcastle play away tonight):

Game 20 was the first of the seven game run where we gained just three points out of 21 and fell from 1st to 6th.

Game Number: 2015/16 points total (position/opp) - 2016/17 points total (position/opp)

When the seven match run began: 41pts (1st) - 38pts (2nd)

Game 20: 42pts (1st, Derby) - 42pts (2nd, Leeds)
Game 21: 43pts (2nd, QPR) - 45pts (1st, Blackburn)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Another left back? Have you been talking to BG?

No, this is additional security for an area I think is a weakness to many teams. Seriously I'm that nervous about it I'm thinking we should also double up on programme sellers and the coach park staff also!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, this is additional security for an area I think is a weakness to many teams. Seriously I'm that nervous about it I'm thinking we should also double up on programme sellers and the coach park staff also!

But we have 3 quality LB's with Liam, Bong and Pocco. Isn't that enough?

Agreed - surely if anywhere, it's RB where we're a bit weak, Bruno is the only properly recognised RB...? And is 36...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here