Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 2012-13 food and drink thread - prices, running out, quality and choice etc

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
My guess is that the elasticity is such that a 10 per cent increase in price will lead to something like a 4 per cent drop in sales.

In other words ... if 1,000 pints are sold at £3.60, this will bring in £3,600. If the price goes up to £4.00 (an 11.1 per cent increase), sales will fall by 4.44 per cent, to 955 pints, bringing in £3,820 (an increase of £282).

From the point of view of the seller, the problems only start to arise if someone else can break into the market, selling beer at less than £4.00. As long as the Club can maintain their monopoly, they're OK. But if folk decide to buy their pints somewhere else, there could be a crisis.

Very similar to a conversation I had on Saturday. Brighton have the advantage when it comes to charging high prices for food and drink that the location of The Amex means they have no real competition. It's not like it's a city centre stadium where there are 4 Wetherspoons within walking distance selling £2.80 pints.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Alot of posts on here are ridiculously over reactive. No one likes price increases, i dont but the club need the money, whatever anyone thinks. The way they do that is to increase ticket prices, food and drink, the programmes now going up to 3.50, etc.
The reason they need the money is that the running costs of the stadium and matchday staff is now huge, along with the increase in players wages, etc. they have hardly increased the ticket prices, merely passed on some of the real costs they pay to rail and bus companies. They still offer 10% off advertised prices for sths, so the prices quoted by most here is generally false and the bottom line is why should tony b continue to put his hand in his pocket, hes spent enough hasnt he?
If you want a progressive club, with really good players, vying for the premiership in a state of the art stadium, there is a price, if we do get to the premiership, christ knows what we`ll be paying for seats then but its all relative, BHAFC is not a charity and cannot be run as such. Its understandable that the progression of the club could result in it becoming too much for some financially, most have a limit, but premiership football hasnt stopped most fans at clubs like wigan, swansea, wolves, reading, southampton, etc from supporting their team in the main over the years, why should we be any different?
As for azure, yes its very disappointing that the service is still appalling and hasnt improved, especially as the products themselves are in the main pretty good for football catering, but I`m sure Tony will be kicking them if it continues to be poor.

Source?
I think £3 is acceptable for a Championship program. Only West Ham and Leeds (that I saw) charged more with £3.50 and £4 (!!!) respectively.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Source?
I think £3 is acceptable for a Championship program. Only West Ham and Leeds (that I saw) charged more with £3.50 and £4 (!!!) respectively.

A programme seller told me when I got one on Saturday "be warned, they're going up to £3.50 from the start of the season."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Alot of posts on here are ridiculously over reactive. No one likes price increases, i dont but the club need the money, whatever anyone thinks. The way they do that is to increase ticket prices, food and drink, the programmes now going up to 3.50, etc.
The reason they need the money is that the running costs of the stadium and matchday staff is now huge, along with the increase in players wages, etc. they have hardly increased the ticket prices, merely passed on some of the real costs they pay to rail and bus companies. They still offer 10% off advertised prices for sths, so the prices quoted by most here is generally false and the bottom line is why should tony b continue to put his hand in his pocket, hes spent enough hasnt he?
If you want a progressive club, with really good players, vying for the premiership in a state of the art stadium, there is a price, if we do get to the premiership, christ knows what we`ll be paying for seats then but its all relative, BHAFC is not a charity and cannot be run as such. Its understandable that the progression of the club could result in it becoming too much for some financially, most have a limit, but premiership football hasnt stopped most fans at clubs like wigan, swansea, wolves, reading, southampton, etc from supporting their team in the main over the years, why should we be any different?
As for azure, yes its very disappointing that the service is still appalling and hasnt improved, especially as the products themselves are in the main pretty good for football catering, but I`m sure Tony will be kicking them if it continues to be poor.

Where's the evidence that RUNNING costs per seat have increased at all, or so dramatically as a percentage over 2011/12?

None.

The club's new financial structure (we await the 2011/12 accounts next year), is that the vast new income covers the costs and transfer budget, with no TB subsidy. The losses and covering of losses stopped on leaving Withdean.

TB has very generously subsidised the capital projects by interest-free loan or capital, which is entirely separate from the above, and not linked to catering prices.
The 'state of the art stadium' cost doesn't enter this discussion.

Azure - I believe this is a contract covering at least 4 years.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I don't know if it has aleady been mentioned but Kronenbourg seems to have vanished from the North Stand so apart from the pie and pint deal going up you can only have Fosters or Strongbow. I don't know if there are plans to add another lager at a later date or this was just a one off.

I noticed this last night, it's been taken off the menu's so assume its permanent. Don't mind paying £4 a pint (with smart card) for something I like but can't be doing that for Fosters. Might have to give Harvey's a go now......

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
First non 1901 experience last night in the North Stand (liked it) arrived 19.15, first kiosk - no pies, second kiosk - chicken only. Now I would have thought that half an hour before kick off was optimum pie selling time so epic fail.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Probably a small point but last night, I bowled up to order the 4 veggie burgers that have been the staple for my family at evening matches only to be told that they are no longer selling them due to poor demand.

The laughable point was that while I waited for my veggie pies, 3 other people asked for veggie burgers and got the same answer.

So in terms of Vegetarian food there are now only pies available. I would also suggest that these are a little rich for younger vegetarians thus leaving little or no option. I appreciate this is a niche group but they are now left a bit out on a limb.

One suggestion would be to explore something like a pizza pocket (I heard that Piglets were exploring this) so that there is something that has mass appeal but also caters for this group.

Probably a small point but last night, I bowled up to order the 4 veggie burgers that have been the staple for my family at evening matches only to be told that they are no longer selling them due to poor demand.

The laughable point was that while I waited for my veggie pies, 3 other people asked for veggie burgers and got the same answer.

So in terms of Vegetarian food there are now only pies available. I would also suggest that these are a little rich for younger vegetarians thus leaving little or no option. I appreciate this is a niche group but they are now left a bit out on a limb.

One suggestion would be to explore something like a pizza pocket (I heard that Piglets were exploring this) so that there is something that has mass appeal but also caters for this group.

That is very poor indeed. I'm not a vegetarian and realise that they are a niche market but ffs, everywhere you go has some sort of veggie option.

And for what it's worth I think the veggie pie is the best out of the lot having eaten one by accident.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
We tried the East stand last night rather than the usual West Lower. I was pleasantly surprised that when I pointed out they had run out of veggie pies, the supervisor went off and brought some fresh ones.

Lush

Mods' Pet
To be honest, it sounds like Azure's answer to the supply and demand problem is to increase the prices rather than improve the service.

They are a dark and growing stain on our shiny stadium and it's such a shame.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
To be honest, it sounds like Azure's answer to the supply and demand problem is to increase the prices rather than improve the service.

They are a dark and growing stain on our shiny stadium and it's such a shame.

Increase the price - reduce the choice - skimp a bit on the product and Robert's your mother's brother. Problem solved!

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012

Very poor. The veggie pies were available on Saturday so either they were fobbing you off about not selling them or they made the decision between the two fixtures not to sell any more.

Ordered a pie on Saturday with half hour to kick off and was told they were in the oven and wouldn't be ready till half time! Didn't bother going back later but overheard someone at half time tell their mate the same excuse! Shambles.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I used to get the veggie burgers, which I have to say were really poor, often I would order one and get brought a pie instead. I do not think they really put any thought into the veggie options at all. Heather Mills now owns redwood foods and they do all the veggie junk food you can shake a stick at, hot dogs, burgers etc and they are pretty decent.

Good job I don't go to football for the food.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Very poor. The veggie pies were available on Saturday so either they were fobbing you off about not selling them or they made the decision between the two fixtures not to sell any more.

Ordered a pie on Saturday with half hour to kick off and was told they were in the oven and wouldn't be ready till half time! Didn't bother going back later but overheard someone at half time tell their mate the same excuse! Shambles.

They do have pies but these arent ideal for all veggies - but even that is a 66% reduction in veggie options from last year (the veggie curry went, were replaced by veggie noodles and they have now gone and veggie burgers have now gone too).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

He was talking about veggie BURGERS not pies.

I'm surprised and disappointed they've been taken off and completely agree with one of [MENTION=4251]ROSM[/MENTION]'s points - a lot of kids won't go for a pie, so that leaves them with nothing but crisps. Poor.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was in hospitality for the first time last night, and was talking to someone who seemed to be a senior waitress (or whatever they're called; staff manager? - I don't know).

Anyhoo, when I mentioned that a few people had registered dis-satisfaction with the service on Saturday, she went near ashen-faced. She acknowledged that Azure were awful that day (I'm paraphrasing). From her point of view, she said that new systems and new staff were in place, and not everything was in full working order - including the fact that at one point the system crashed, and when they re-booted, the tills we re-set to a previous setting.

Regarding the price increase, I was told that the suppliers (incl. Piglet's) have had to suffer hefty cost increases themselves - and they're not in a position to absorb them themselves. So by the sounds of things, while of course the customers suffer, it's not necessarily everyone over-milking the cash-cow. However, that doesn't excuse the shite service.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Good job I don't go to football for the food.

that's true - its just that midweek my son has either football or swimming after school and so by the time we all get together at 6.30 its a bit late to get an evening meal together and that was a suitable solution. As I say, I know its a minority and that there are probably sales numbers that say veggie burgers weren't big sellers and that they slow up service for the wider majority but it surely cant be beyond the wit of man to have a food option that is veggie but is suitable for all the family including young children but also appealing to meat eaters to (like a pizza style option, or a pasta pot or something).

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is only a personal opinion, but I have had two pies at the Amex now and I wont bother again. £ 3.90 last night for a steak pie that quite honestly was not very nice, gristly and gave me terrible indigestion and ended up on the loo most of the night ( and it wasnt anything else as that was all I ate)

Don't understand as had a pie at Lewes at the REMF and it was very nice.

Also didnt know they stopped serving beer 10 minutes before KO in the second half....if that is so , when the ground is full, they had better advertise that or there will be some very angry punters!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was in hospitality for the first time last night, and was talking to someone who seemed to be a senior waitress (or whatever they're called; staff manager? - I don't know).

Anyhoo, when I mentioned that a few people had registered dis-satisfaction with the service on Saturday, she went near ashen-faced. She acknowledged that Azure were awful that day (I'm paraphrasing). From her point of view, she said that new systems and new staff were in place, and not everything was in full working order - including the fact that at one point the system crashed, and when they re-booted, the tills we re-set to a previous setting.

Regarding the price increase, I was told that the suppliers (incl. Piglet's) have had to suffer hefty cost increases themselves - and they're not in a position to absorb them themselves. So by the sounds of things, while of course the customers suffer, it's not necessarily everyone over-milking the cash-cow. However, that doesn't excuse the shite service.

Theirs must be pretty much the only section of the country's economy which is experiencing an hefty increase. Either this or the 'senior waitress' was bull-shitting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here