Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The 15 Minute City and Low Traffic Neighborhoods.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Strange times we live in. I have been driving for over 30 years and today's cars are so much more comfortable than anything I could possibly afford back then, yet the over all driving experience is dismal.

Everyone agrees that dog owners should pick up their dog's mess and most people comply. If local government stopped enforcing this, then there would be no point in picking up your dog's mess when you risk treading in what everyone else has left behind. Sometimes selfish people need to be compelled to change for the benefit of everyone.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
The policy is to charge people £70 if they drive from one zone to another. They hope is to create a "15 minute city" as a result, whereby all zones have shops, doctors, and the rest within 15 minutes walk or bike ride of home. (Which obviously for pensioners means about 200 yards, though with difficulties about carrying the shopping home!)
Where the plan falls down, or hasn't been thought through, is that it must of necessity involve families moving round if they don't want to live in separate "zones". Otherwise, the council will offer permits in certain circumstances for people to cross zones, a limited number of times a year, to go and visit relatives. That's where a load of the opposition comes from. Some people (not just right wingers) don't agree with the basic principle that the council has the right to control how often, and when, you go and visit family and friends, and that visiting family and friends can only be done by paying a swingeing fee or by getting a licence from the local council. If councils are to be given that sort of control over freedom of movement, it ought to be by Act of Parliament and be properly debated (and hopefully thrown out).

This argument isn't about whether creation of 15-minute cities is a good idea, it's about whether restricted driving zones is a good idea. (As a caveat, they have said that if you drive out to the ring road, go round, and drive back in again, you can avoid the charge. I'm not sure how the extra driving would benefit anyone's environment.)
who the f*** is they? what is 'the policy'?

It's a wingnut conspiracy theory and you've fallen for it hook line and sinker.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Brighton and Adur have signed up to this . It could get interesting . I saw a video yesterday of woman who wanted to get through some barriers and said she was willing to pay the fine and the so called security guards would not let her .
If they banned cars from most parts of Brighton, I would simply get the bus and stop moaning, Brighton probably has one of the best bus networks in the country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here