Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] The 11TH hour of the eleventh day etc two minute silence

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Popmaster beautifully timed to be all done and dusted for this.

2633-0.jpg

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Well in Eastbourne it would seem plenty would like to forget and having their grocery shopping delayed by 2 mins is a disgrace!

I'm not so miserable to not accept that in the course of your busy day today you might just not glance at your watch and notice the time or immediately recall the significance. But on approaching Tesco Superstore entrance I did recall and immediately stood still along with a quite a few other people. Over the next two minutes at least a dozen people weaved their way through those standing still completely oblivious and some proceeded to complain about " the bloody hold up" . A particularly chav looking couple started to moan and looked at me for an explanation. As still in the silence I pointed at the poppy on on my jacket and they looked totally blank!

Last edited:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I hope this question is not considered disrespectful as it it not intended to be. Just a genuine interest.
It was mentioned above that cjd had attended the local memorial in France (which I have done when I lived there). 11am there would be 10am in the UK.
My question is: "Was the actual time of the cease fire based on GMT or a local Continental time?"

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I hope this question is not considered disrespectful as it it not intended to be. Just a genuine interest.
It was mentioned above that cjd had attended the local memorial in France (which I have done when I lived there). 11am there would be 10am in the UK.
My question is: "Was the actual time of the cease fire based on GMT or a local Continental time?"
In 1918 France was GMT. They didn't switch to CET until 1940, so 11am GMT was the time of the cease fire.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Veteran's Day in the States today also. Respect and thank you those who served and/or currently serving not only here but the world over in defense of their country. Proud Coast Guard vet myself. We American vets might not always agree with what our country does, but as vets we always carry the stars and stripes on our sleeves.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Anyone in RH20, we will be doing Poppies from 09.30 in Storrington Mill Square tomorrow.

3PM Service at St. Mary's Storrington on Sunday, I'm a Sidesman, please forgive if I make a mess of it!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm missing the game on Sunday, will be marching in London with the Falklands Vets, Can't believe it's 40 years.
I'm guessing you'll be part of the Lord Mayor's parade.
Part of my job is supporting the military with transport, especially today and the weekend, which is logistically very busy, but worth it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Shall be wearing my poopy badge with pride on duty tonight.

Haven’t seen half as many poppies around this year. Shame.

Reactions: cjd

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I'm missing the game on Sunday, will be marching in London with the Falklands Vets, Can't believe it's 40 years.
Yep, hard to believe that 40 years ago I was a fresh faced 22 year old.
When word first broke of the Argentinian invasion, I remember thinking ‘bugger me, they’ve got some balls attacking somewhere so far from their mainland’
I honestly thought it was off Scotland before that.
A month later, I was disembarking troops off our landing craft.
Remember it as if it was yesterday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here