Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That Was Then, This Is Now

el punal

With half of our Premier League fixtures played I thought I’d do a comparison with 2022/23 season’s table after 19 games. Here goes :

Season 2022/23 : Played 19 Won 9 Drawn 4 Lost 6 Goals For 37 Goals Against 27 Points 31 Position 6th

Season 2023/24 : Played 19 Won 8 Drawn 6 Lost 5 Goals For 38 Goals Against 33 Points 30 Position 8th

So despite the injuries to so many players that have affected team selection, the loss of key players to other clubs, the number of extra games played with our Europa League commitments, the stats show that we are doing as well at this stage as last season. With players returning from long term injuries - Moder, Estupinan and soon, Enciso, the future looks brighter. A two week winter break coming up will also help.

Happy New Year everyone! :thumbsup: :whisky:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not forgetting the excellent start Potter gave us to contribute to a lot of that, while RDZ got the squad to change to his methods…

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Phenomenal when you consider the injuries, the sales, managers being aware of our tactics now and playing in and topping our Europa league group, without doubt the toughest one too.

:bowdown:
This!
So many teams know how to negate our effectiveness now.
The goals against stat is an inevitable consequence from that.
The fact we have actually increased our goals scored stat is impressive.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I suspect that the goals against are higher for a number of reasons
1. Caicedo leaving is huge. He stopped so many goals.
2. We have played quite a few games with only two defenders on the pitch
3. Teams figuring out how to force errors on the press
4. Some bad luck - feels like quite a few deflections

The fact we have scored more with so many injuries is incredible.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For me, I had still imposter syndrome when we finished 9th under Potter. I still felt we would get found out any second.

Now, I don't think we will finish as high as 6th this season, but it all feels different. It feels like we are a proper EPL club, now. It feels like we are looking up and aiming to become better, not just glad we are here. I don't feel like I happened to have look really great one night and somehow pulled a once in a lifetime date. I feel like I belong here. We belong here. The phrase 'we will never' needs to be binned.

el punal

Less wins / More loses / Less goals scored / More conceded / Less points / Out of top 6/ Just hope De Zerbi can stop this slide
Dreadful isn’t it? I say get Big Sam in NOW! Stop the rot, get ten men behind the ball, start playing no-nonsense they shall not pass tactics. When in doubt, hoof it out. :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll admit that I can be laughably mercurial when it comes to my Albion mojo, but right now having comfortably disposed of Spurs, I am wondering how much better things could actually get.

We've got players to come back, yet the stats suggest we cope very well with injuries, suspensions and international commitments. We are just 6 points off Spurs in fifth and I think we'll catch them. Hell, were actually only 12 off top spot and this season the only team who look a different class are Arsenal, and even then we'd beat them on an off day.

My glass is very much half full (until we lose at the council house on Monday).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
With half of our Premier League fixtures played I thought I’d do a comparison with 2022/23 season’s table after 19 games. Here goes :

Season 2022/23 : Played 19 Won 9 Drawn 4 Lost 6 Goals For 37 Goals Against 27 Points 31 Position 6th

Season 2023/24 : Played 19 Won 8 Drawn 6 Lost 5 Goals For 38 Goals Against 33 Points 30 Position 8th

So despite the injuries to so many players that have affected team selection, the loss of key players to other clubs, the number of extra games played with our Europa League commitments, the stats show that we are doing as well at this stage as last season. With players returning from long term injuries - Moder, Estupinan and soon, Enciso, the future looks brighter. A two week winter break coming up will also help.

Happy New Year everyone! :thumbsup: :whisky:
Add to that the Eufa cup games (I'll ignore the U10's Michael rodent cup )

P25.
W12
D7
L6

F 48
A38

48% win ratio, losing less than 1/4. We score just shy of 2 a game, double what we did in our first 4 seasons in the PL. Quite incredible.

Most importantly, it's a joy to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here