Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Mitchell Johnson....is now demolishing South Africa!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I didn't really go along with the school of thought that last year's touring Ashes side was the worst Australian side to tour England. I remember the 1989 series and the Australian side that year was pretty mediocre, despite beating England 4-0. It helped that England self-destructed that year and got through 29 players in 6 tests. You could see that Australia were a work in progress last summer and had they selected Mitchell Johnson for the tour, the series would've been much more closely fought.

The big difference for Australia, other than Johnson's resurgence and Ryan Harris staying fit is the introduction of David Warner at the top of the order. Not only is he scoring runs regularly, he is scoring quickly. The last test against South Africa he scored 2 centuries and the 2nd innings he scored 145 off about 155 balls! Makes such a difference if you have an opener getting the scoreboard accelerating early on and converting good starts, as it means the middle order aren't then pressurised to whack the covers off the ball the moment they come in. Australia had missed that type of player at the top of the order since Matthew Hayden retired, and England haven't had one consistently since Marcus Trescothick left the scene. They badly needed one in the winter and their lack of one heaped all the pressure on Ian Bell and Kevin Pietersen.

It was a good time to play South Africa, mind you. Their best player since their re-introduction to test cricket retiring before the series began left a gaping hole in their middle order and in the dressing room, their best strike bowler was short of full fitness and then their inspirational captain decides he's had enough.

The change of coach is/was the difference. Clearly.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He's made a difference, but he was in post when Australia played England last summer. Johnson and Warner have made a huge difference to the balance of the team and have very quickly become major match-winners for them.

He hadn't had any time to prepare last summer and was totally dropped in at the deep end. It's totally unfair to say that he was in the post without mentioning that. Despite this you could see the strides they made as a team even whilst on tour with a new coach. Subsequently they've continued to improve. Lehmann's the real deal, his record in the IPL was outstanding as well.

They've got to be a very good bet for the World T20.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Her hadn't had any time to prepare last summer and was totally dropped in at the deep end. It's totally unfair to say that. You could see the strides they made as a team even whilst on tour with a new coach, they've subsequently continued to improve. Lehmann's the real deal. His record in the IPL was outstanding as well.

They've got to be a very good bet for the World T20.

I'm not say he's not, although I think in fairness, anyone could've replaced his predecessor and made an improvement because he was so unpopular and caused a Raymond Domenech style mutiny among the players. Lehmann just came in and started treating players as adults, which was hardly rocket science. My point was more that Lehmann's intervention wouldn't count for a lot without the players and bringing in Warner and bringing back Johnson has been what's contributed most to their upturn in fortunes, given that one or the other has won them most of the test matches they have won under his watch.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not say he's not, although I think in fairness, anyone could've replaced his predecessor and made an improvement because he was so unpopular and caused a Raymond Domenech style mutiny among the players. Lehmann just came in and started treating players as adults, which was hardly rocket science. My point was more that Lehmann's intervention wouldn't count for a lot without the players and bringing in Warner and bringing back Johnson has been what's contributed most to their upturn in fortunes, given that one or the other has won them most of the test matches they have won under his watch.

Johnson's the first piece of credit you have to give virtually exclusively to the coach. Before Lehmann turned up he was done as a Test Cricketer, he wasn't even in their 18 man squad. Look at how he's been used under Lehmann, in short bursts - where did that come from?

Clearly the players were there but only 6 of the 11 that started the first test last summer played today. That's quite a turnover of players in a short space of time. Immense credit to the coach in my eyes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's made a difference, but he was in post when Australia played England last summer. Johnson and Warner have made a huge difference to the balance of the team and have very quickly become major match-winners for them.

Your point appears to be that their form is more down to Warner and Johnson then Lehman's management and getting them to gel as a team. I honestly don't think it's that obvious. Haddin was equalling outstanding in the Ashes averaging more than Warner, with Rogers contributing a handsome 46.3, Smith 40.87, Clarke 40.33. They had 5 batsmen averaging above 40 in The Ashes, and they've had 4 batsmen averaging above 40 in SA.

This has been a team transformed from batting shambles to a complete batting unit right down the order. At first I thought Lehman had just come in, loosened the reigns and bought the right players in like you say, but now it's clear it is a lot more than that. He has given players some serious belief - winning in SA is never easy regardless of who is retiring, they are still a very good side. Even without Kallis they have 3 players averaging above 50. It was only 12 months ago this Australian side (with Warner in it) got smashed 4-0 in India!

Players like Smith looked like walking wickets pre-Lehman, with him now second top scorer in SA averaging 67.25 he's even taking wickets!

Johnson is of course standout, but Nathan Lyon has also blossomed under Lehman getting 8 wickets in SA, after his 19 wickets in the Ashes. They seem to bowl as a team now, with discipline and with well thought out plans.

This is a transformed side, not just because of Johnson and Warner, they're playing with depth through their bowling and batting. Lehman is clearly more than just a coach who has come in, picked the right team and let them get on with it. He's installed that frightening winning mentality that I thought was at least going to be gone for a long while yet!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Your point appears to be that their form is more down to Warner and Johnson then Lehman's management and getting them to gel as a team. I honestly don't think it's that obvious. Haddin was equalling outstanding in the Ashes averaging more than Warner, with Rogers contributing a handsome 46.3, Smith 40.87, Clarke 40.33. They had 5 batsmen averaging above 40 in The Ashes, and they've had 4 batsmen averaging above 40 in SA.

This has been a team transformed from batting shambles to a complete batting unit right down the order. At first I thought Lehman had just come in, loosened the reigns and bought the right players in like you say, but now it's clear it is a lot more than that. He has given players some serious belief - winning in SA is never easy regardless of who is retiring, they are still a very good side. Even without Kallis they have 3 players averaging above 50. It was only 12 months ago this Australian side (with Warner in it) got smashed 4-0 in India!

Players like Smith looked like walking wickets pre-Lehman, with him now second top scorer in SA averaging 67.25 he's even taking wickets!

Johnson is of course standout, but Nathan Lyon has also blossomed under Lehman getting 8 wickets in SA, after his 19 wickets in the Ashes. They seem to bowl as a team now, with discipline and with well thought out plans.

This is a transformed side, not just because of Johnson and Warner, they're playing with depth through their bowling and batting. Lehman is clearly more than just a coach who has come in, picked the right team and let them get on with it. He's installed that frightening winning mentality that I thought was at least going to be gone for a long while yet!

Their bowling plans in particular have gone from non existent to brilliant. The confidence he has installed in some pretty average batsmen is frightening. I'm sure if he was England's new coach, there's no way KP will be out of the side...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here