[Football] Thank you England

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Not sure what point you’re making about the teams the players play for? Italy had players who play for Roma, Lazio, Napoli and Sassuolo in their side, the equivalent of the English sides you mention.

Mancini is just a far superior manager to Southgate.
Mancini has won a Premier League.

No English manager has ever done that.

Not sure what point you're making. We had a better England side at 2004 than this one and didn't make a final. Arguably 2000 (didn't get out of the group) and 2008 (didn't even ****ing qualify) too.

We've had a great tournament. Just fell short on pens. Bugger

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Proud they done well. Unfortunately only winners write history

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Done really well to make the final and players should be proud. Southgate on the other hand blew it. Expected the team to defend a 1-0 lead for 88 minutes left Mount on for second half and some of extra time when he could have showered and changed without anyone noticing then 2 pens taken by players on for two minutes and a another by a teenager that should have been way down the list and hadn’t exactly had a good game.

Over achieved then totally underachieved and the main reason was his tactics simple fact. Forget being Sir Gareth you’ve done well but you threw it away.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Brilliant effort from Southgate and the team. To knock out the Germans will be something to treasure and to get to a final is a memory of a lifetime. It’s something that every England manager has failed to do since 1966.

I have no doubts we will return with a force at the World Cup next year.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
**** the scum bags. Apparently it didn’t come home, but what did was the old way of life, no fear, back in crowds and enjoying being around those close to us we were once scared of. Tonight as gutting as it is, should still be celebrated. Life’s back, livings back and we should embrace it. No longer do we need to be scared. Get out there and live life. Ps it’s coming home. 2022. We waited this long we can get wait another 18 months.

This team couldn’t have given us more. I thought we would do it. But it’s shows to this team and future generations what’s can be achieved.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
b39196a6c87dd51edb6634905392e703.jpg

Sums it all up perfectly for me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have been up and down today after getting up at 5am to watch. I have ended up totally proud of the team, we made a final and only lost it on penalties.

Well down to Southgate and his young team. You have restored my broken faith.

If anyone thought we were going to do any better than we did, you haven't been paying attention for the last 55 years.

Brilliant, onward and upward from here.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Excellent, beat the Germans not trashed by anyone, apart from a few fans (?) and a good warm up for the World Cup!

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Well done boys and by that I mean all the squad. But it's about time English football learned that unless you are very lucky you cannot defend a 1-0 lead for 88 minutes

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
b39196a6c87dd51edb6634905392e703.jpg

Sums it all up perfectly for me.

Bloody hell :eek:

I saw a cropped version of this image just now on Twatter, which means only now am I seeing what he had on his feet!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have been up and down today after getting up at 5am to watch. I have ended up totally proud of the team, we made a final and only lost it on penalties.

If anyone thought we were going to do any better than we did, you haven't been paying attention for the last 55 years.

Anyone moaning today doesn't know they're born.

The best team in the tournament narrowly beat the second best. No shame in that at all.

Very proud of the boys and buzzing for the World Cup, can start to see ourselves as one of the favourites without any imposter syndrome.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yup. Huge respect for those that stepped up to shoulder the responsibility when it counted. I'd never criticise anybody for being bold enough to step forward. Southgate said afterwards that the penalty takers were based on what had happened in training but like you I'm slightly disappointed that some of the more established PL players evidently didn't fancy it. It isn't about missing, it's about handling the aftermarth if you do and that's a lot of weight to load on young shoulders.

I hope the 3 who missed hold their heads high because at least they had the balls and the courage to step up when it mattered and they are the kind of people I'd want on my side, regardless.

as long as they don't do a pizza(?) advert in a few years time.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bloody hell :eek:

I saw a cropped version of this image just now on Twatter, which means only now am I seeing what he had on his feet!

There is the question of fashion of course but then also the fact that the concept of ‘Britain’ & ‘England’ are still indistinguishable for many many people in this Country.

And people wonder why we are universally hated across the globe, especially in Europe.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Anyone moaning today doesn't know they're born.

The best team in the tournament narrowly beat the second best. No shame in that at all.

Very proud of the boys and buzzing for the World Cup, can start to see ourselves as one of the favourites without any imposter syndrome.

[emoji106]

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
To my mind, Southgate ruined everything by his dreadful handling of the shoot out. I have always thought they were a completely unsatisfactory way of settling major competitions, but to allow two young lads to shoulder all the responsibility when "heroes" like Sterling, Grealish, Shaw and Stones hid away was unforgivable.

Agree penalties are a poor way to decide a final, just as a toss of a coin was when Italy (i think) beat USSR back in 68, maybe they could devise a points system whereby the team who had more possession, attempts on goal, and overall deserved the win could be announced winners !, basically what happened but without the shootout.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Exactly. My disappointment was tempered a small amount because I knew from about the 50th minute that the Italians would win, simply because Mancini is a way better match-day manager than Southgate and knew how to make those crucial in-game adjustments.

However that should take nothing away from Southgate's very real achievements in all other aspects of managing England. For a start people no longer hate the national team, or say the players 'don't care'. And I remember the disappointments - and the dross - of so many tournaments of the 1970's, 80's, 90's, 2000's, and 2010's. At the last Euros we got knocked out by Iceland. Iceland!

The cycle has been broken. Let's hope it stays broken and we can build on this like we built on the 2018 World Cup.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Yep great effort. A young side which gained some more experience. Hopefully push on to win the big one. Been great entertainment during a shitty time. :bowdown:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
everyone been happy ( except here ) for the last few weeks.

The working class man also got to release some frustrations yesterday.

It's been good , real good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports