Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank god for VAR

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What? We had 69% possession and most shots. We were poor in the first half, but Sheffield weren't exactly great. Second half was all us, we just couldn't put the ball in the net (apart from the time when we were also offside). That's a pretty crucial issue, but no way did we deserve to lose 3-0.

Easy to talk possession stats when we were 1-0 down and they could defend the game. Whatever stats say, Sheffield were far more dangerous than us

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Neither were marginal or disputable and pre VAR the lino would have flagged but apparently under the latest direction they are told not to and let VAR decide.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Easy to talk possession stats when we were 1-0 down and they could defend the game. Whatever stats say, Sheffield were far more dangerous than us
But I'm not talking about just possession. I'm also not trying to suggest we played well. But I don't agree with the idea that we deserved to lose 3-0.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Is it ‘lucky’ when a goal is correctly chalked off for offside or handball?

It is lucky when you completely miss a cross & they score as a result but it's ruled out for it brushing their hand.

& then you fail to hold a fairly simple ball & drop it at someone's feet & they finish - but they are offside

A pretty terrible day from maty

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Is it ‘lucky’ when a goal is correctly chalked off for offside or handball?

Just because one was handball and one was offside doesn’t change the fact that both ‘goals’ were clangers. Unless he can see into the future?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One good point about VAR was that they showed the incident for the 2nd disallowed goal to save any confusion as I think they should with all decisions.

They showed the incident for both of their disallowed goals. I didn't notice if they did it for ours, because the flag went up before the ball was in the net, and it looked clearly offside to me, so I didn't bother looking at the screen (or even celebrating).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Let’s be serious, VAR was very good today. Quick decisions, communicated effectively to the crowd. I thought Rob Jones had a solid PL debut on top of that. Looked far better than most of the experienced lot. Of course it helps that the country’s top ref was behind the buttons at Stockley Park.

The game’s changed, it’s not going back now. We were all desperate for it last year and if it works as it did today, then I’ve got no issue with it.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
**** VAR. The officialS now not even making calls half the time, see their offside goal, miles offside

You are giving the linesman too much credit he can flag afterwards. He didnt so he just completely effed up that decision and was bailed out by VAR and one of the reasons why it has been brought in.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
What? We had 69% possession and most shots. We were poor in the first half, but Sheffield weren't exactly great. Second half was all us, we just couldn't put the ball in the net (apart from the time when we were also offside). That's a pretty crucial issue, but no way did we deserve to lose 3-0.
The possession stats were pretty meaningless because our possession was mostly in our half of the pitch!!

theboybilly

The possession stats were pretty meaningless because our possession was mostly in our half of the pitch!!

Agreed. If some of our possession had been focused in the attacking third it would be more impressive (as it was on Monday) but today it was largely faffing about trying open up a well-drilled defensive unit of 5 midfielders that kept their shape protecting a back four. We just couldn't pick a pass through them

You are giving the linesman too much credit he can flag afterwards. He didnt so he just completely effed up that decision and was bailed out by VAR and one of the reasons why it has been brought in.

to give the lino the benifit of doubt - - he could have been in direct line with the player and not seen him touch the ball - it didnt deflect hardly at all so might have looked like it went straight in without touching him, in which case his offside didnt count as he didnt touch the ball

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hard to disagree. Can’t believe the Lino didn’t flag the offside, though.

They have been instructed to not do so.

Remember Shelvey 'scored' an 'obviously offside' goal after the flag went up a few weeks ago, keeper not really bothering to attempt a save, then VAR showed player was onside and the goal was given.

VAR is brilliant. Referees and linos don't always apply the rules correctly. Some rules need a tweek.

Getting a bit bored saying the same thing month after month....

Looking forward to a brand new thread on how shit VAR is next time a ref faffs about for minutes, or one of our 'goals' is correctly chalked off. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here