thailand/ recommendations

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
My advice is too spend as little time in Samui as possible. Get on the Catamarang and go to one of the smaller islands.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No, but the Mango Tree very close to the famous "Pat Pong" market is a very good relaxed informal restuarant and in most of the guidebooks. And try the deep fried locusts on sale from street hawkers. Locals snack on em like we do crisps and they're actually not bad - sort of taste like a pork scratching without the fat. Insects are high in protein and set to become a western source of food in the 21st century. Them orientals have known for years though.......

Haggle for your life in the markets, thais can be right bunch of thieves but very nice and humerous about it and easily knocked down a bit. Very friendly and the fake designer t-shirts are excellent quality (same factories so why wouldn't they be?) I paid around £1.00 a t-shirt. They do all the Premiership shirts and even some championship - I was tempted to buy a Palace one for a £1.50 and do me car with it basically.

Have fun, they're English football nuts over there

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Don't believe anything anybody tells you-especially the Tuk Tuk drivers. The Temples DON'T close for lunch during the week and you don't buy tickets for the Grand Palace 100 yards away on the other side of the road. Nor is that 'Export Market' open for tourists for 1 day only and it's today!!!!

:shootself:shootself :dunce:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
scarby said:
off to koh samui next year via a couple of days in bangkok, can anyone reccomend a decent hotel in samui, close to nightlife, places to visit etc:thumbsup:

some of the reactions to samui listed above are a bit harsh....

avoid chaweng beach which really is like blackpool, but once you're outside of that town there are some lovely places.

recommended are bhoput and farther to the west on the northern coast.

the smaller islands nearby (phangang etc) are also lovely!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports