Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thailand Advice Request

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Going to Thailand in March. One question: for those that have been to Chang Mai, is the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine required? I've been looking online but everything on the risk areas is very vague which is odd considering the seriousness of the disease.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
That's what I'm gonna do... save 45 quid on a hotel room. ...

It's a must mate. When you come back then post on the train journey. The train has 14 carriages and the middle three are for farangs with a restaurant bang in the middle. You have armed Thai police either side of the three carriages to stop the Thais coming in during the night to steal your bags

I met my wife in the restaurant and it has a party atmosphere :)

Last edited:

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Going to Thailand in March. One question: for those that have been to Chang Mai, is the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine required? I've been looking online but everything on the risk areas is very vague which is odd considering the seriousness of the disease.

No. I only took one and that was Malaria.

Edit: spelling.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Will you need to book a ticket. ..

You can buy tickets direct Hualumphong train station like we did and is so much cheaper or you can pre book with travel agencies like on Khoa San Road but then you'll be paying for booking fees etc. I've always booked my train, boat, coach fares like the locals do and it can be really hard work but rewarding as you're experiencing the local culture.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
What islands are ones really worth seeing and are less swamped by tourists?

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
What islands are ones really worth seeing and are less swamped by tourists?

Tough call these days Bean as it's getting more commercialized and it all depends on the individual. If I go back then Phi Phi Don without a doubt, two islands, Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Lea, Phi Phi Don is the sister Island and a boat trip from Krabi and about 200 Baht. Brilliant Island and some fanatic clubs and restaurants and the beaches are out of this world. I've always avoided Ko Samui and have ventured to the Island above which is Koh Phangan before the full moon party. I have good friends who own a resort on Koh Phangan and never pay for staying. If you want to visit Koh Phangan then drop me a bell and I'll e-mail them to get you a good deal.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Has anyone been to KRABI? What's that like, i.e. peaceful or a party town?

Bit of both. Ao Nang beach is the main bit in Krabi, there's noting to do or see in Krabi town. There's a decent beach there (Railay beach) and if you get bored and want a proper chill out in high season you can get a direct boat to Ko Lanta which is awesome. Or get the boat to Phi Phi if you want to party with groups of aussies on a lads holiday.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Bit of both. Ao Nang beach is the main bit in Krabi, there's noting to do or see in Krabi town. There's a decent beach there (Railay beach) and if you get bored and want a proper chill out in high season you can get a direct boat to Ko Lanta which is awesome. Or get the boat to Phi Phi if you want to party with groups of aussies on a lads holiday.

Never saw a lads holiday on Phi Phi Don but the reverse. It's a mixture and defiantly not a lads piss up. Ko Samui is for that kind of things.

geodavies

Jan 8, 2012
Saltdean
It's a must mate. When you come back then post on the train journey. The train has 14 carriages and the middle three are for farangs with a restaurant bang in the middle. You have armed Thai police either side of the three carriages to stop the Thais coming in during the night to steal your bags

I met my wife in the restaurant and it has a party atmosphere :)

Farangs ?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Has anyone been to KRABI? What's that like, i.e. peaceful or a party town?

the actual Krabi Town is average at best - had very few decent bars and not much going on - Railey beach is stunning though and worth a trip.

As for the island which some have mentioned - I'd say for party go to Phi Phi, Koh Phagnan and to some extent Koh Tao although the latter is very chilled out apart from Lotus Bar!!

Ko Lanta was my favourite chill out island - it's absolutely stunning and has maintained some of untouched feel!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here